PDA

View Full Version : Name your Stoopest Mod.....

Kurt Sunday
02-17-2014, 02:43 PM
This month is my 15 year anniversary of playing Super Coupe. I was going through some old pictures and found a shot of one of my stupidest modifications.

I always thought the fog light mounts that connect to the bumper were way too heavy and blocking airflow to my ZR intake so I removed the fog lights and mounts. Months later I found some cute little round fog/driving lights at AutoBone and figured I could mount them directly to the bumper cover with double-back tape. The vibration, even at idle transformed my SC into an ambulance at night. At first, it was pretty funny watching other drivers think I was five-O --the fun ended when the passenger side light fell out and somehow got crunched by the rear drivers tire.

I also recall pissing away an entire weekend with the idea of relocating the windshield washer tank to the trunk. That ended a small hose melted to my cat and a trunk full of washer fluid.

David Neibert
02-17-2014, 03:30 PM
Without a doubt it was Propane Injection. Every time I used it, I lost 40 rwhp :mad:

David

BLOWN38
02-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Without a doubt it was Propane Injection. Every time I used it, I lost 40 rwhp :mad:

David

Where did you put the grill?:D

I'll try to think of something I did.

MadMikeyL
02-17-2014, 04:07 PM
I did a J-mod to my buddy's wife's 5.0 Explorer. It doesn't sound like a stupid mod, but just to see the look on her face, we went for the highest settings, and ditched the accumulator springs, so the thing would slam into each gear, and since it was AWD, the tires wouldn't chirp on shifts, so after a few months, it just started tearing things apart inside the trans, and on the way to the shop to swap out the trans, it was actually randomly locking all 4 wheels as pieces would get caught up in the output shaft.

Trunk Monkey
02-17-2014, 04:07 PM
I've been pretty picky and well guided in my mod choices by RobertP.

I guess back in the day when I first started looking at modding the car this mod would be my stupidest mod.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12how-to/maf/maf.htm

... That and sticking the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs in it ... lol

XxSlowpokexX
02-17-2014, 05:29 PM
Hmmmm not so tough...The first mod I do to any SC is the stupidest one!

KMT
02-17-2014, 05:40 PM
Seemed like a good idea at the time, but....no.

nickleman60
02-17-2014, 06:18 PM
When I first got my '94 I wanted to have the total Nascar Thunderbird look so I made the rear spoiler (still on there) and I wanted Nascar looking rims but I could only find Aero brand rims in the 4.5 bolt pattern so I bought 1.25" thick wheel adapters for all 4 corners. Tires stuck out a mile, especially in the front so luckily I grew tired of that after about a year and did the Mustang hub swap and bought the black Saleens that I still run.

Mercutio
02-17-2014, 08:05 PM
Pretty much anything I did to the 4.6 in my LX.

Jimmy 2Coupes
02-17-2014, 08:58 PM
Bill Hull duel exhaust system on my 95 SC way back in the day. That thing was way overpriced and just plain junk. One of my first and most regrettable mods.

davec73
02-17-2014, 09:23 PM
Well Kurt I have had the good fortune of learning from a lot of guys mistakes before I made them but I would say the worste modification I attempted was adding halos to my headlights. It looked cool at first until after a week one of the halos went out and I just ordered new headlights:D

SC Ward
02-17-2014, 09:56 PM
Couldn't find a pic, but there was my Jamex "2-inch" drop springs that were really 3+ ....

Jacob_Royer
02-18-2014, 05:30 AM
[Mine would be not leaving it stock!

jjklongisland
02-18-2014, 09:30 AM
So far my stupidest mod was getting my windows tinted by a "professional" from craigslist. He charged me $130 for all the windows and they came out like crap. Now I have to have them redone and it will cost me twice as mich since now I have to remove the old tint. Moral of the story... YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!!!!!!

jdsgallops
02-18-2014, 10:19 AM
Wasn't mine but was on the car when I bought it. One of the PO's put gauge overlays in. They were wired into the headlight switch for power but didn't work. Somewhere along the line the bright idea came up of mounting 3 LED lights on the steering column to see the gauges at night. Needless to say the first "mod" I did was get rid of the LED's and overlays to find perfectly working factory gauges.

Kurt K
02-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Back around 94 or 95, Kenne Bell released their "Switch Chip" for the SC. When installed with an upgraded fuel pump, it was supposed to yield big gains over stock. All it gave me was detonation. Through phone support, I was told that my plug wires had to be defective. After replacing the plugs and wires and still having the issues, I removed the chip. I still have it on a shelf in my basement. At the same time, I had orders a cold-air kit from Kenne Bell for my car. Unfortunately (or luckily) it never actually was produced and they refunded my money. It looked something like this:

XR7 Dave
02-18-2014, 10:44 AM
Back in about 1993 I installed a 180 deg thermostat in the XR7 based on the recommendation of all my 5.0 friends. I lived in Texas at the time, so of course any time I drove the car more than 15 miles it would overheat due to heat soak. I rightly determined that the fan needed to come on earlier so I disconnected the power lead from the EEC and installed a temperature sensitive probe. This worked fine for the low speed fan, but since I didn't disconnect the high speed fan, whenever temps got high enough, the EEC would kick in the high speed winding but of course the low speed didn't kick off since it was manually controlled. This caused the fan to draw a lot of current but not really run any faster. So the engine ran hotter than it should and eventually the fan motor burned out.

I couldn't find a replacement at the time and couldn't afford a whole assembly, so I bought an aftermarket fan and hooked that up to my temp switch thereby bypassing the entire EEC control. This worked ok in Texas (around town at least) where it was hot enough to keep the fan on pretty much all the time. But we went on a trip to Canada which meant going up into the mountains of Colorado where the single speed fan wasn't enough to keep the car cool so we had to turn the AC off and drive slow to avoid overheating (scoring negative points with the wife). Then when we dropped into Spokane it was 100+ deg again so we needed to use the AC. Conditions were just right to where the engine temp hadn't required the fan on, but we were running the AC to cool the interior. With no air moving across the AC condenser the system over pressurized and locked up the compressor which took out the ACC belt and sprayed all the refrigerant out of the system. So we had to make the rest of the trip without AC.

Got up to Canada and went to an AC place to get the compressor replaced (didn't realize what the problem was), spent a lot of money there getting that fixed (money we didn't have!) only to have it do the exact same thing all over again. This time we just left the AC off and suffered.

It was during this time that my first child was born (July 4th in Texas) and my wife will be happy to tell you how much fun it is to drive around in the Texas heat in a black car with black leather interior with no AC when you are 9mo pregnant! Some time later I tested the AC going down the road and found that it worked perfectly (ouch). It was only then that I started to realize the connection between AC and cooling fans/condenser airflow. :mad:

So then I saved up the cash for a new stock fan assembly and put it all back to stock and was amazed how well everything worked. So about $1000 later the 180 deg thermostat was the worst mod I ever did (all this on a car with about 30K miles on it).

kenewagner
02-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Modifing the exhaust to make the biggest exhaust I could. I had a decent size exhaust, headers, 2-1/2" down tubes, resonator and a 3" center section back and split between two 1-1/2" turbo mufflers. Decided to go big or go home:rolleyes: modified the resonator so I could run 3-1/2" center section to split into the mufflers. Modified the mufflers so they were 3-1/2" in and 3" out all the way to the tail pipes. So no increase in power but the car was so loud inside I got to where I didnt want to even drive it. All in all I beleive I have modded the exhaust on this car something like 5 times:mad: When I think of how much time I spent on exhaust:o Now it is much quiter and has a great idleing sound and I beleive I can live with it.

Second to that would be the white face gauges, but thats another story

Ken

Toms-SC
02-18-2014, 12:02 PM
This thread is good.

Kurt Sunday
02-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Ken,
What's wrong with white faced gauges? Well, besides you can't see them when it's dark outside.

Tim Groth
02-18-2014, 04:27 PM
Too many too list...anything that a "new" and young SC owner though would net a gain I did...usually spending way more than needed...only to mentally convince myself that a power increase happened.

I remember when I purchased Magnacore Wires in 2002 and thought I had a real performance mod...wires were like $150 at the time (3x's a normal replacement)...most who've been around for sometime will recall when these were considered a real mod for power. :D

How about the TORNADO intake thingy too...never did it but sure do remember those who tried and thought it was big power :D

-Tim

kenewagner
02-18-2014, 04:28 PM
Ken,
What's wrong with white faced gauges? Well, besides you can't see them when it's dark outside.

never got the needles back correctly so the speedometer and tach dont read correctly. I was pissed and havent touch it to change anything. I think I have the instrument cluster scheduled to be completely redone in 2017 or there abouts
:rolleyes:
Ken

Kurt Sunday
02-18-2014, 04:59 PM
never got the needles back correctly so the speedometer and tach dont read correctly. I was pissed and havent touch it to change anything. I think I have the instrument cluster scheduled to be completely redone in 2017 or there abouts
:rolleyes:
Ken

You must have did something wrong Ken. I had great results....after I installed my white gauges my car idled 200 RPM lower, felt like it was only going 25 on the freeway, and best of all increased my fuel economy. I can drive 200+ miles and the needle still points to Full.

kenewagner
02-18-2014, 05:37 PM
You must have did something wrong Ken. I had great results....after I installed my white gauges my car idled 200 RPM lower, felt like it was only going 25 on the freeway, and best of all increased my fuel economy. I can drive 200+ miles and the needle still points to Full.

My tach reads 300 rpm higher, good for bouncing off the rev limiter when manually shifting and the speedo reads about 80 when im at around 60. So even though my best MPH on the track slip reads 119 mph im sure the speedo was 140:eek: So maybe I should leave it alone for bragging rights:D

Ken

David Neibert
02-18-2014, 05:51 PM
2nd worst Mod was.... The Pro-M remote MAF optimizer (piece of junk) that Wade from ESM convinced several of us to buy.

David

Jacob_Royer
02-18-2014, 07:49 PM
1 Resonator and muffler delete
2 flowmasters (made it worse)
3 Being an ASKhole

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/jacobroyer/Mobile%20Uploads/1381248882697_zpsa2fa9ba6.jpg (http://s20.photobucket.com/user/jacobroyer/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1381248882697_zpsa2fa9ba6.jpg.html)

4 This thing... (dont ask it was on my 5speed when i got it lol)

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/jacobroyer/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20131108_174132_391_zpsd7356af8.jpg (http://s20.photobucket.com/user/jacobroyer/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20131108_174132_391_zpsd7356af8.jpg.html)

5 Putting a cam in the car WITHOUT injectors, fuel pump, maf,tb,convertor ,QH,Tune,Heads 7 years later it finally idles/Somewhat runs properly lol (SEE #3)

superdadsc
02-18-2014, 09:03 PM
My BRAIN!!!!!!:eek::eek:

Miguel5671
02-18-2014, 09:19 PM
Weight reduction and a hole for heat extraction to my cowl hood lmfao well the hole does help extracting heat but
It lost all its support now wobbles at high speeds lol !!!

dthompson
02-18-2014, 11:47 PM
Getting my car tuned at National Speed. I think they meant well, but that was an expensive mistake only to scrap all that effort and money and move to the QH (thanks Dave). Second biggest mistake would be buying items online from the cheapest place possible. Sometimes you get what you pay for...

BLOWN38
02-19-2014, 12:01 AM
Figured mine out. Gutting the impeller in the water pump to use a remote mount electric water pump. Basically the E pump pushed all the cool water to the passenger side so that side was always cold and the fan never kicked on but the gauge temp sensor is on the driver side so the gauge would sky rocket then the fan would kick on and I got like 50* temp swings on the gauge.

Other would be a fresh head gasket recall motor with an old balancer led to a broken crank. Maybe this wasn't so bad cause...er maybe it was cause thats what led to spending the big money.

Miller
02-19-2014, 12:07 AM
Pffft. My most regreted thing was ripping my window motors and wiring to electric locks to save the 8lbs. Next dumbest was getting rid of power steering and throwing my sway bar away.

Micahdogg
02-20-2014, 05:03 PM
This is a thread I can get behind :)

- Before you could get clear corner lights at ProCarParts.com, Scott Long talked me into taking a screw driver to my stock corner lights and popping the Amber out of them.

- Cutting a square hole in my factory intercooler boot so I could dump a full back of ice in there for racing. It worked good, but they had to clean the track after each run.

- Replacing my heavy azz ZR intake mounting plate with a piece of plastic. Apparently the metal plate helps lock the intake in place. The engine torquing caused my air filter to rip off - on the highway - and drop out right in front of my passenger front tire. Crunch.

- Wollering out the brass rivets in my tps sensor to adjust voltage to .99 volts. Speaking of, did anyone ever buy the "TPS Tech" from SP Motorsports?

pro street rich
02-20-2014, 06:18 PM
Take a brand new nos engine and throw EVERYTHING you can from MP on it, even some stuff that was not for the public.. Then driving a really fast S.C. for 2000 miles without looking at the plugs to see how lean it was...BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM is what it did one day.. Sure I got it tuned, but never looked at it again.....Dumb move for sure......Rich

Miller
02-20-2014, 07:35 PM
Was this one of those magic marine engines you dug up? That was you right?

Jacob_Royer
02-20-2014, 07:36 PM
Take a brand new nos engine and throw EVERYTHING you can from MP on it, even some stuff that was not for the public.. Then driving a really fast S.C. for 2000 miles without looking at the plugs to see how lean it was...BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM is what it did one day.. Sure I got it tuned, but never looked at it again.....Dumb move for sure......Rich

You forgot wearing Elf shoes at the Shootout!

Kurt Sunday
02-20-2014, 07:54 PM

Now that's the kind of post that makes me proud to be the President of the Jacob Royer Fan Club TM

Free t-shirts for everyone!!

Jacob_Royer
02-20-2014, 09:50 PM
Now that's the kind of post that makes me proud to be the President of the Jacob Royer Fan Club TM

Free t-shirts for everyone!!

Hey we can trade shirts for beer!

RalphP
02-20-2014, 10:55 PM
Hey we can trade shirts for beer!

I can assure you, you're not built right to swap your shirt for a beer.

Your Significant Other, OTOH ... :D:D

RwP

Micahdogg
02-21-2014, 11:28 AM
I forgot my other stupidest mod was smelting my own stroker 5.7L crank from iron ore that I excavated from the mine my house is built on top of. I also did all block machine work with my dremmel and produced 1000 HP with two M90's side saddled. The car ran 8's I mean 7's in the quarter mile. If you don't consider a 7 to be that fast, then it may or may not have run a 6 I can't remember. After John Force gave me a wristy by the porto-crappers I decided I was bored with the scene and donated the car to Habitat for Humanity. It is being used exclusively for drywall jobs now and I hear the driver recently was sworn in as a legal citizen of the USA.

In hindsight, I would have used a 4.2L crank from an F150.

kenewagner
02-21-2014, 11:38 AM
I forgot my other stupidest mod was smelting my own stroker 5.7L crank from iron ore that I excavated from the mine my house is built on top of. I also did all block machine work with my dremmel and produced 1000 HP with two M90's side saddled. The car ran 8's I mean 7's in the quarter mile. If you don't consider a 7 to be that fast, then it may or may not have run a 6 I can't remember.

Jim (McDemmit) is that you???:D

Ken

pro street rich
02-21-2014, 02:02 PM
Was this one of those magic marine engines you dug up? That was you right?

Yes I did find a few of them. They were normal engines that were pulled out of the line and sent to a boat builder for fitting. The project got scrapped when they found out there was a shortage of support parts for our car back in the late90's. These engines were brand new but when you od the mpx blower as much as I did it was not good.. They went boom big time....I still have one in a car that works just fine....Rich

pro street rich
02-21-2014, 02:21 PM

Those are very soft on your feet. You should try a pair, just don't get them wet or they curl up on you.....Rich

Jacob_Royer
02-21-2014, 02:50 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/jacobroyer/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG957240_zpsdb56ac4f.jpg

TBU shirt for 2014

Kurt Sunday
02-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Those are very soft on your feet. You should try a pair, just don't get them wet or they curl up on you.....Rich

Why am I picturing SC guys walking around in pink Jacob Royer Fan Club(TM) tshirts, wearing wet Elf shoes and spilling Coors Light all over the place at the next Shootout?

Plat0ribs
02-21-2014, 03:27 PM
Bought a 90 SC Auto in 2004 owned by a little ole lady who only used it to drive to the hair stylist, had 60K miles on the clock when I bought it. Transmission wasn't working right. After a few years of watching it sit there I pulled the engine and sent it to Dave. When he disassembled it he found the top of all the cylinders were eroded by pre-ignition and we concluded the little ole lady ran only low octane regular through this car for 60K miles!. Then I had Dave completely rebuild this motor, ultimately I stripped the SC down and had the frame hauled off because it was a rust bucket, then I bought a rust free rolling chassis and about another $5-6K worth of parts. Now 10 years later I still haven't driven that car one mile. I suspect it will cost me another 3K just to get it to Dalke for tuning.

Had I taken a different path I could be driving a spiffy "modified by other" SC and probably have extra money in the bank. So I suppose the stoopidist mod I ever made was the initial purchase! :eek:

pro street rich
02-21-2014, 03:29 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/jacobroyer/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG957240_zpsdb56ac4f.jpg

TBU shirt for 2014

That would be two "TBU" shirts as you have shown here.....Rich

mywhite89
02-23-2014, 02:14 PM
Basically the dumbest thing I ever did was modify my 93 thunderbird lx v-6. It was just a waste of money. I didn't understand tuning or needing to do it. Bolt it on and go faster, Which probably made things even worse. Like Dave D. I installed an electric fan which in my case replaced the belt driven fan for more horsepower. I didn't know that at idle with ac on, your ac would build high pressure and puke some refrigerant out very very loudly. Luckily a technician where i worked figured out my problem and suited me back up with r12. All this after I stuck a new ac compressor on it for no reason.
I put a jet computer chip on it that did god knows what, definitely didn't make it faster. The only thing I did smart with that car was reinstall the factory exhaust manifolds and take my kooks headers off it. Still have those installed on my SC today. Bottom line is it is nice to have a good platform to start from if you modify a car.

JT15601
02-24-2014, 11:47 PM
Stupidest mod by far was a straight pipe to a 10 year old single glass pack at the end... BBWWWWWAAAAHHHHH all day long. Took a sawzaw to that rice machine next day.