Tuning Options

OffRoadRanger00

Ok, so when I was in the game a couple years back, tuning options were fairly limited. I scanned through the FAQ's to see if anyone had updated info on advancements in flash tuning for OBD1 amongst other things. So besides bolt-on parts, is there anything new that I may not know about in the tuning area for the older SC's? Or is there even a need for it with only plans of moderate upgrades? Plans are update exhaust, complete tune up, blower pulley, and maybe a shift kit, better tans cooler, ect. I also plan to add some extra monitoring equip(AM boost, A/F. fuel and trans temp gauges) to keep an eye on the important stuff. Main thing is, I wanna keep it "daily driver" but I also want to give my old racing buddies a run for their money and do some occasional track time. So naturally the tuning question came to mind. So any advice would be great and thanks in advance. OH! and does Weld make rims to fit our pattern? I haven't looked but thought id ask while I was here. haha

The moates quarter horse is the new shiznit! You can datalog everything and tune it yourself with the Binary editor software. We has come a long way with this piece of hardware.

Or is there even a need for it with only plans of moderate upgrades? Plans are update exhaust, complete tune up, blower pulley, and maybe a shift kit, better tans cooler, ect. I also plan to add some extra monitoring equip(AM boost, A/F. fuel and trans temp gauges) to keep an eye on the important stuff.

You really don't need tuning for the mods you listed, but that's not to say you still couldn't benefit. Tuning really gets important (mandatory) when you start doing blower upgrades along with much larger injectors, maf, tb, etc.

The moates quarter horse is the new shiznit! You can datalog everything and tune it yourself with the Binary editor software. We has come a long way with this piece of hardware.

You can tune it yourself? That's cool. I'm a new SC owner and was perusing some tuner options, and using chip technology is archaic. I'm spoiled with my SCT Livewire on my Mustang, heh heh.

You can tune it yourself? That's cool. I'm a new SC owner and was perusing some tuner options, and using chip technology is archaic. I'm spoiled with my SCT Livewire on my Mustang, heh heh.

QH is so much better than OBD2 stuff especially if you are a beginner tuner. If you have to make a lot of changes it is so nice to just leave the car running and make the change. Instead of stopping, turning off, 1 minute to flash, start back up.

QH is so much better than OBD2 stuff especially if you are a beginner tuner. If you have to make a lot of changes it is so nice to just leave the car running and make the change. Instead of stopping, turning off, 1 minute to flash, start back up.

That's awesome. I can do some tuning things (ie: gears, tires, when the fans turn on, etc), but I leave the WOT air/ fuel and stuff like that to the pros.

I did a little snooping on that quarter horse deal....that's awesome. I believe I'm going to invest in that. Who all is using it and how much benefit is there to be had from that kind of fine tuning?

I think just about everyone in the club with a chip has the QH now. Its not really that you get anymore power over tuning with SCT its just you can live datalog with it and make changes live.

Here is a video with the datalog screen.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bYmw9ffD4fs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bYmw9ffD4fs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sounds like that thing has a big miss...................................:eek::eek:................:D:D:D

Nice! This is all new to me on the SC front. Is it unhealthy to be this interested in modding the car before I've even actually picked the car up (in 5 days)? :D Talk about putting the horsepower before the car!

If I were to do some tuning myself, what would you or anyone else recommend with the SC's and what would be recommended to avoid detonation, especially as these cars age? How much timing advance can you get away with? In my Mustang, before i'd cleaned the upper intake out myself, excessive carbon gunk buildup in the intake was messing with the air/ fuel, seeing as the air quality was lowered. The SCT guys tuned it to run with about 20-22 degrees of advance at idle and in between 25-29 degrees advance at WOT and it was fine, but that's also a different car.....though a '99 Mustang 3.8 and a higher compression ratio.

Air/ fuel I know a bit about, but also enough to know that I could really mess things up and that I don't know as much as I should. I've never done my own tuning 100 percent. For the SC's, you'd need the Quarterhorse, then the Binary Editor and what else? Pardon my inexperience.

Last edited:
Get the QH and a base tune for your setup from XR7 Dave(email him). He also can get you the registration keys for the software stuffs to tune yourself.

Timing depends on the setup.

Back