Suspension noise. Need someone to look at this! link inside!

Zcdef

CAR INFORMATION
1995 Thunderbird Supercoupe
5spd
slight engine mods
KYB shocks
115k miles

I have a 1/4 to 1/2 inch gap between my shock washer and the frame. I'm unsure if there are bushings missing or if they are wrong or not tight.

Sadly I have discovered that I have kyb shocks all the way around vs the electronic tokicos (unsure on spelling).

THE PROBLEM.
I get a nice rattle when I hit bumps in the driveway. I just changed my brakes on all four corners and visually inspected all the steering and suspension. The front ball joints and tie rod ends were newer and clean, but my sway bar end links were shot. I have the parts on the way to replace them.
I popped the covers off the towers and saw a large gap between the frame and the washer.

Link to youtube to see what I believe is not normal and causing the noise.
http://youtu.be/J2A-6Wg7a8Q

THE QUESTIONS.
1. Are my sway bar end links the cause of the rattle at slow speed in the driveway or is it the gap between the washer and the frame?

2. Am I missing bushings between the frame and the washer or is the washer supposed to be tight to the frame?

Any and all help is appreciated!
Zcdef

Last edited:
Was that video moving the shock by hand or bouncing the car up and down? If it was bouncing the car up and down, then it might be normal, it is hard to tell from the video. If it was moving by hand, then your upper shock mounts are definitely shot. That washer doesn't actually touch the frame, but the holds the shock to the upper mount, and then the upper mount bolts to the shock tower with the 3 smaller nuts around the outside of that large center one. I would say replace the sway bar links and test drive it again, and if the noise is still there, time to pull the shocks out and take the spring off to inspect the shocks and the mounts.

Thank you! And to answer your question, that was me bouncing the car and not the shock itself. I wasn't sure if that movement was normal or not. I should have my sway bar end links within 2 days and hopefully I can get them installed by the weekend. I will post some pictures of the end links also.

Once again.. thanks madmikeyL!

No problem. The upper strut mount is rubber, so there will be some deflection in it as the car bounces up and down, so some movement is perfectly normal.

A little deflection may be normal there, but the amount shown in the video is excessive. I'd absolutely recommend replacing the upper shock mounts. You'll need to use a wall mount spring compressor to do the job safely.

I will take your advice seriously. I'd rather do it now than have it surprise me later. I'm replacing my sway bar end links right now.

I will take your advice seriously. I'd rather do it now than have it surprise me later. I'm replacing my sway bar end links right now.

I think those will resolve most of the noise. They are very noisy when they wear out.

Thanks S_mazza!

Does anyone have any advice on separating the sway bar end links from the sway bar. My link is soooooo frozen. Not enough room for a BFH or anything to aggressive. I went and bought a ball joint separator to wedge it out and after 45 minutes of messing with it.... here I am!

Any help is appreciated!
Zcdef

Assuming you have the correct sized fork, hammer it in until it wedges, then hit the end of the sway bar near the hole with a hammer. This should encourage the bond to break and the ball end to come loose. Try not to get carried away :)

Might try penetrating oil and a bit of heat if it still resists. Still no joy, find a ball joint separator. Same thing....load the joint towards release, then hit the end of the bar.
mCH3legJWCmosKnPG1AqfjA.jpg

Back