Took Off Heads And Lots Of Coolant In The Cylinders Please Help!!!

1991tbirdsc

OK i took off my heads cause i thought i had blown a head gasket, but head gaskets looked fine( at least i think). so my question is what else can it be? what happened was i was racing a mustang (wich i beat:D ) and after the race when i tried to accelerate it just threw alot of smoke or vapor that smelled like coolant so i imediately turned the car off and opened the hood and there was coolant all over the inside of the hood. oh and bfore the race the car had been sitting for like 6 hours so the car wasnt hot at all and never gets hot when i drive for long periods of time. SO PLEASE IF ANYONE HAS ANY THOUGHTS AS OF WHAT ELSE CAN IT BE PLEASE GIVE SOME INFO!!!!!! i am sure it is the headgaskets but still need some info on what else would it be if it wasnt the HG's

The car is a 1991 SC automatic
65,2xx miles
K&N CONICAL AIR FILTER 9"
5% OVERDRIVE PULLEY
Removed resonator
2 1/2 inch flowmasters

THANX IN ADVANCE:D

You took off the heads before diagnosing the problem? Well now you get to change the headgaskets anyway. While you are putting the car back together try and replace any bad hose or at least the heater hoses on the firewall. Carquest is the best place for the those.

Install fresh coolant and a new thremostat.

Hopefully that will cover any coolant issues.

Check the heads.

I would have the heads and block checked to see if they are square. If you put it back together with a new gasket and the heads and block are not perfectly flat you will be doing the job again. A bad headgasket can cause the cooling system to blast coolant out of the overflow tank under boost.

Last edited:
I had almost the same problem. it was the heater hose on the passanger side right by the valve cover. It is a preformed hose you will ahve to get.

I blew that hose on the right valve cover too...on vacation in the Outer Banks. I took it to a local speed shop and expected to get reamed. The guy did a great job replacing this "special" hose with a universal - whole job was $75, done in 30 minutes.

Was I ever lucky on vacation!

Jon

Back