Late model mustang head gaskets

quatrini

I was told before the fix for the blown head gasket problem was to use the hed gaskets for an 02 mustang 3.8 as these are MLS style. I would just like to know if they are 100% compatible such as are they the same thickness and will they affect coolant/oil flow from the heads at all.

They are compatible, however the smoothness requirements of the block and heads are much smoother for MLS gaskets compared to the regular ones, so you really should have your block decked to use MLS gaskets. More important than which gaskets you use though are the head bolts. Whatever you do, don't re-use your stock head bolts. Either buy new ones from Ford, or preferably buy some head studs from ARP.

I was told before the fix for the blown head gasket problem was to use the hed gaskets for an 02 mustang 3.8 as these are MLS style. I would just like to know if they are 100% compatible such as are they the same thickness and will they affect coolant/oil flow from the heads at all.

The 02 Mustang gaskets are not a direct match. Coolant passages are slightly different although many people use them anyway. An exact match is the 96-98 Mustang MLS gasket. Yes, block and heads must be machined for the MLS or you may risk leakage. Minimum recommended RA for MLS is 60 which will require machining to achieve.

Ok thanks guys. Heads and deck will be resurfaced i am also using arp head studs. Thanks for the input!

Back