Tranny is toast on my 94..............Options, feedback?

superdadsc

My tranny lost all forward gears today! Bummer!

So it looks like I am going to fix it and at that point with the money invested in it I will keep it.

Looking to build a tranny that will be reliable for a 260rwhp to 320rwhp. The car will be a bolt on car for now and one day some heads and cam.

I am looking at tranny rebuild, TC, VB, and new gears out back.

Options

Take it to a local shop, buy all parts and have them install.

Any thoughts or feedback from dealing with a rebuild etc would be great!

Take it to a local shop and get a local warranty

Drive 7 hrs and have Alan from Dirty Dog build and install.

Buy a tranny and VB from Silverfox and a TC from Alan and install ( Because Alan won't warranty unless he installs)

or any other options please suggest.

If I understand correctly, those in the know agree that the 94-95 4R70Ws are flawed, but the later ones work great. I think that if you can find a low mile later model transmission, you will do great ... but you may have to swap a few minor parts to make it work. You can't go too far forward in time or you will lose the drive gear for the speed sensor, which is a major hassle.

I will step back now and wait for the people that actually know this inside and out.

I spoke with Alan yesterday. Looks like he will track down a 2004 tranny, rebuild it, and add a TC with some 3.73 gears and modify the VB.

I will tow the car there, stay in a hotel and drive her back.

This will happen in march.

Looking forward to seeing how she performs with a nice setup!

Sorry to hear that your tranny gave out! But I guess it's a chance to build it for bigger and better things, right?

In my SC (that I'd just picked up today--woohoo!) the transmission was replaced not too long ago, so that's a good piece of mind.

One minute it drove fine, A little slow on shifts at wot, what I would expect from a 100k tranny. Cruising was fine then BAMMMMMMM no forward gears.:eek::eek::eek:

Guess I was meant to keep her!:D

I sent Alan a deposit and am looking forward to seeing what a real auto tranny drives like! I need to get her back on the road so I a can do a cam swap on the 89 and get the valve train right! Putting to many miles on the 89.

Back