hood insulation

bumpskier45

what do most folks here do with the insulation that is on the hood? it is starting to come apart and fall into the engine compartment. Should I attempt to replace it or am I just better off without it?

It would depend what you want to do with the car. the insulation will protect your paint from high temps. if you dont care about the paint or just race it then take it out.

I believe this is more NVH than actual temp protection, but I may be wrong. I've ripped it out and tossed it on many cars and never had any problems. If it is just looking scruffy, give it a couple coats of flat or satin black rattle can. It "cleans" it up nice, and if you do it b4 it is too bad it helps hold it together too.

Adam

It would depend what you want to do with the car. the insulation will protect your paint from high temps. if you dont care about the paint or just race it then take it out.

If that was the case then aftermarket companies who make fiberglass hoods for our cars would provide someway to attach insulation to them. It's just for sound deadening.

I think I will just remove it then my car needs a new paint job and I am going to purchase that hood from bill at supercoupe anyway. I was more interested in if that insulation kept heat in the engine compartment or not.

It keeps some in and helps to reduce the heating of air into the intake for the greenhouse area.

It also helps to deaden the noise a bit.

It doesn't do much of either, though.

There's a guy who's advertised on TCCoA that used to make them for TBirds and Cougars - and I think he's back into production (had a bout with cancer IIRC).

Sorry, I don't remember his name offhand.

RwP

I haven't yet taken the insulation off, but on my other cars, I've done it with no problems in terms of paint peeling or anything like that. I'm not sure if Ford also intended it to be a fire blanket that drops onto the engine and smothers a fire in the SC's, but that in addition to sound deadening is also another reason why some car companies put the insulation there. Personally, I want the engine to be heard, but I can understand that when they designed the cars, an ultra quiet ride was part of the equation.

I also call the hood insulation "the dirt and oil trapper", heh heh. They usually just look like crap.

Back