pumkin swap how-to

figulaz

SCCoA Member
Can someone point me to a thread on how to swap pumpkins? I searched for about an hr yesterday. I know I can do it I just don't want to disassemble more than I have to. I have 3:55s on the 5spd and figured I'd put those in the automatic and the 3:27s in the 5 spd. If not a thread maybe a brief outline of what to expect and things to avoid. Thanks in advance.

1) Jack up and support vehicle
2) Remove driveshaft bolts and slide driveshaft forward as far as it goes
3) Remove both rear wheels
4) Unbolt both brake calipers and support them
5) Remove UCA to spindle bolt on both sides
6) Remove 2 LCA to spindle bolts on both sides. At this point, the spindles will be hanging slightly, and are held in place by the axles.
7) Under vehicle, use a pry-bar to pop both axles out of the diff
8) Go to each side and pull the spindles out with the axles attached, and set them to the side
9) Get under vehicle and support the pumpkin with a jack
10) Remove 4 nuts that hold the pumpkin to the subframe. You will need to hold the bolts from moving with a 15mm wrench. You won't be able to see these bolts, you'll have to just feel for them.

Once all that is done, lower the jack, and the pumpkin will drop. Some people suggest only pulling one side spindle and axle, and while it is possible to do that, you risk damaging the axle seal when you are re-installing it, and for the time it takes to remove the axle and spindle, it simply isn't worth the aggrivation to me. Other notes; do not remove the lower shock bolt or the spring can pop out and potentially hurt you or damage something. An impact gun makes this job way easier and faster. The tools you need are 18 and 19mm sockets, 15 and 21mm wrenches, a 12mm 12-point wrench for the driveshaft bolts, and a small prybar to pop the axles out. Remember to put lock-tite on the driveshaft bolts when you reinstall them, and remember to top off the diff after you install it, since some fluid will spill out the axle holes when removing/installing. Also, now would be a good time to change the pinion and axle seals, and re-seal the diff cover. That should be about it. Total time for removing and reinstalling in 1 car should definitely be under 3 hours your first time, so if you get an early start on a Saturday, you should be able to get both pumpkins out, resealed, reinstalled, and refilled in one day.

Note: its not possible to PROPERLY replace the pinion seal without a complete tear down of the rear end so just do the axle seals and cover seal (if its leaking) and make sure to put friction modifier back in for the track lock! And don't for get the abs sensors!!

You will also need to unbolt the ABS sensors from each side of the pumpkin. Swapping mine also required removal of the rear portion of my exhaust, but may not be an issue with stock exhaust.

David

Back