Center Caps

90whtbrd

Are center cap thefts as big a problem as they were some time ago. Saw an SC going down the street the other day sans center caps, and I remember how mad I was when mine got stolen ( with 3 security guards on patrol in the mall ). I was thinking of tethering mine with braided wire and a eye fitting held down by the lock nut with the other end of the wire JB welded to the cap so the cap won't discolor or warp from welding. I would have to check both sides of the car before driving to make sure caps are all secure so I don't beat the paint up.I remember back in day this is how Cadillac tried to solve the theft problem with their very expensive wire spoke hubcaps. Any thoughts or better solutions welcomed here.

I believe all the sc center caps were a plastic. i would just hang in a better neighborhood.:)

I believe all the sc center caps were a plastic. i would just hang in a better neighborhood.:)
The early model SC center caps are definitely metal....I believe stainless steel, but I could be wrong on that.

Both were made I guess plastic and SS, I had SS ones on my 90 SC when I had it .

Last edited:
The early center caps were larger and made of SS. I was just wondering if anyone had tried my plan to secure these caps.

Center caps are known to be stolen on these cars? Wow. They're nice and all, but I wasn't aware that they were theft worthy. :D

No Kurt it was not an Anny. Who knows how many hands it went through before he had it. Maybe they were stolen and replaced with the plastic:D:D I do know that i was talking to one of the parts guys at my ford dealer and he could not find any steel caps, late or early models. But he wasnt the guy that really knows and tries. He did say something about black aluminum. Take care.

I doubt it's common, given they don't come off easily. eBay shows them going for $10 each, tho, so maybe someone thinks they can fast buck them?

You can try a tether epoxied anchors etc.; you can run naked; you can run ones you don't mind losing; you can mark them to help prosecution later; you can try beating up on your insurance, hoping (good luck) to exceed any deductible; you can try an alarm that is has a proximity alert or is sensitive enough that anyone trying to pop one off would trigger the shock sensor.

But if it's chronic, you're just going to have to deal with it, as it reminds me of when kids used to break off antennas or put pebbles inside valve caps, etc. Do you feel targeted by an irate neighbor?

Of course there are stronger measures, but if all that's happening is the loss of some wheel centers, you might count yourself lucky. It could be slashed tires or broken glass next time...

Someone gave me a set, but they don't match my Anny, so...

Last edited:
Believe me I pay a premium to live where I live, I was only asking opinions on what would amount to a 10 min per wheel fix.

Believe me I pay a premium to live where I live, I was only asking opinions on what would amount to a 10 min per wheel fix.

Irate neighbors then. My opinion is it's a waste of time. But if you have the 40 minutes to spare, then by all means give it a whirl and let us know how it pans out, thanks.

Last edited:
The least I learned here was that 90 anny's have plastic caps. Wondering what opinions about thefts would change if your caps, cats or gas was taken. Thanks for the attention and replies.

I think we all have the same negative opinion about theft. I wouldn't bother reporting center caps, but I would report cats.

I had mounted knockoffs onto the stock Cutlass rally rim center caps on my Cutlass, and even with an alarm, someone eventually stole them. It sucked because I had custom drilled and mounted them, myself. I was going to rig up some fasteners to hold the center caps on from behind the rims, but never did.....I think that the worst feeling is not that you had the things stolen, it's more about the feeling of being violated. I still have the occasional bad dream about someone breaking into my cars--one of my cars (not my Mustang or SC) had got broken into 3 times (my only non-alarmed car that i've owned)--first, the passenger lock was punched, then the second time, the driver's door lock was mangled, and then when I was selling the car, someone jimmied the plastic around the window to break in.

Last edited:
Back