Strange Miss

rbrown

So off and on for months my Check Engine light comes on. Usually when in traffic and it's stop and go.
Never paid it too much mind. Nothing ever seemed to be wrong.

Well 2 days ago it came on and stayed on. Didn't pull codes as I figured I would check in the morning.
The CEL was off the next day.

Yesterday, driving across town steady 65 comes back on and misses, uh oh. Misses misses. Now I am worried. Misses once more. Figure I best get it back home. Drives the entire way home perfectly.

Pull codes today. Nothing really striking. KOEO 341 and 511. KOER 136 and 538.

So 136 is showing a lean bank 2. I do have what sounds like a noisy injector. Slight ticking.

What say you SC gurus?

I checked the balancer for wobble since it is rather old but it looks pretty good.

Hows' your mpg?

Done any work to it lately?

KOEO 341 and 511: Octane Adjust Service Pin Open / Read Out Memory Test Failure KOEO

KOER 136 and 538: System Indicates Lean (Bank No. 1) / Invalid Cylinder Balance Test Due To Throttle Movement During Test

MPG doesn't seem to be any different.
Not sure actually though. I really do not pay that much attention to it, just put gas in it when I need to.

No work done.

I read 341 Octane Adjust service pin in use. I do not know what that one means. I figured it has to do with the tune.
But you show the code to mean it is open?
511 - I figured I can the test incorrectly

136 - I show lean bank #2 and you show lean bank #1. Of course my book shows lean #2 on 136 and 137.
538 - my error

I will try again since the CEL came on while driving here a bit ago again.

All tune up items are many years old.

I'll go through everything, give it a little TLC and see what happens.

Thanks guys.

Keep in mind it runs fine and the only time it missed was yesterday. CEL on today and you would never have known.

Well it's missed a couple times again. And it does not always happen when the CEL is on.

It is almost as if power is lost for a split second, key off back on.

I was having some issues with a very old alarm system a few weeks back and thought I fixed it with a new battery in the remote. I think the ignition might be cutting off.

Oh the fun...
This guy has been a good daily driver so I cannot knock it much. But I am afraid the gremlins might be hatching.

Does the tach drop and then recover?

No.

Changed O2's and plugs. Front passenger (4) plug much more worn, drivers front (1) worn more than others too but not as bad as #4.

Since it happened and CEL came on, left it running to pull codes. Never tried to do that before. 2 new codes. 365 and 381. I do not even find these in the book.

Clean/check/replace ground cables - be sure to check the one from the pass. side motor mount over to the body to. Corrosion can hide inside the sheath, so a new one might be in order. Check the battery volts key off and engine running. Disconnect the battery for a bit, then drive around so the computer can relearn with the new O2 sensors in place, then recheck codes.

Yeah...I don't see those codes either: http://www.njtacc.com/tech/eec_codes.html (has SC specific codes where applies)

Well it looks like my miss was exhaust related.

I started getting a rattle at start-up and then the power drop started. All those that have had a plugged exhaust know the sound they make.

Pulled the system off and was going to just cut the cat I thought was bad off and get to the shop for a new one. Well no rattle when banging either cat and the only junk fell out of the muffler side of the exhaust. It is a dual-in dual-out dynomax. Not sure what part of this is going bad but I'll use it as an excuse to quiet the system down. It was never bad but there was one point in the rpm's I hated. Like at cruise. lol

It's NOT exhaust related.
This is making me nuts.

The miss came back yesterday and when it happens I can increase throttle and it studders and shudders worse.
I changed the plugs with platinums of the type that were already in it. Maybe I am seeing the effects of those now and need to go back to the old school type plugs.

Go back over the plug wires - check all connections at the plugs...it's not uncommon to find one that isn't 100% seated. Also make sure none have found their way against a manifold and melted, etc.

Back