95 Thunderbird 4.6l knocking loud on passenger side.

Jays95Bird

Hello everyone! I just joined but have been looking at your site for awhile. I own 2 95 thunderbirds and the one has a loud knock on the passenger side. I removed the valve cover but dont see any damage. I also pulled the plug wires one by one when it was running and it didnt stop the knock but it sounds like its right there. Is this main bearing or... please help.

The car was probably over revved by the 16 year old that drove it for 3000 miles after his grandma died and inherited the car. The knock sounds like a rod in my opinion. It is with the rpms. Also when i pulled the plug wires one by one when the car would start to die or idle rough the knock would stop until the car resumed its idle rpm.

You can test/inspect the engine oil for metal to try to confirm rod/bearing issues and/or check the flex plate for cracks. My money is on flex plate...

sound quality isnt that good on my computer, but the sound in the video sounds just like the sound i heard coming from the passenger side of my '00 mustang gt, and it ended up being 2 spun rod bearings. i thought the same thing as you did at first and pulled the valve covers off thinking it might have been a jacked up lash adjuster or something else in the valve train, but i wasn't lucky enough.... hope i'm wrong though for your sake.

I started it today with the valve cover off and it is making a double knock sound. Does that mean its just a bent rod? Also just bought pi heads the windsor ones for 230 bucks today. the car is going to be sick.

Back