Video of power steering pump removal?

91TBird93SC96V8

Need help removing my power steering pump. I have a 93 sc...I've removed the intercooler and intercooler tube. Also removed pulley and bolts to psp, but I cant seem to get it from the bracket. Any advice would help. Do I have to pull the other tube out(the one that goes to the bottom of the intercooler)?How?..A video would be very helpful too..if available. Thanks in advance.

If you have the IC tubes and steering pulley off, you are almost done. I think there are 3 bolts on the front of the power steering pump that pass through the bracket. That should be the only thing holding it on, as far as I can remember. You will need to pull the bracket forward to slip the pump out from behind it. There are 3 or 4 bolts and studs holding the bracket to the head. I don't think there are any bolts going directly into the block, though I could be wrong. One of the fasteners is buried deep between reinforcing ribs of the bracket, so you may have to find it by feel. Watch out for spiders. ;)

Don't do this on my say so - but what I keep seeing is that bracket you have to release to get the pump out? A lot of folks leave it off, or will cut it off, so that they can get to the PS pump easier on the SC.

RwP

You have two options, one of which is right, and one of which is what others do.

#1 - Remove the power steering pulley so you can access the bolts. The pulley comes off with a special tool that you can rent from the auto parts store or just buy for under $30.
#2 - Cut the bracket so you can bend it out of the way and give you access to the bolt.

I suggest using the tool. The SC is not the only car that uses them. I had a 79 Chevy 1/2 ton that used the same tool.

I see the bolts on the bracket. Ive got two off now the third is hidden and I jus cant get it with the tools I have smh

Get the tool to remove/replace the pulley and live large :)

Auto parts stores 'rent' them free with a refundable deposit.

Thanks for the responses people. So now that I did comolete the job my steerung is still out of wack. It turns easy left but is hard to turn right. Maybe it wasnt the power steering pump? Any suggestions?

Prob needs bleeding out the air, try that first....then replace the rack if that doesn't fix the problem

Thanks for the responses people. So now that I did comolete the job my steerung is still out of wack. It turns easy left but is hard to turn right. Maybe it wasnt the power steering pump? Any suggestions?

If it isn't air, then it may be a bad rack. i believe there is a spool valve in the rack that changes pressure direction when you turn the wheel one way or the other. That spool valve may be stuck or there may be contamination in the hydraulic system causing it to stick.

Back