95 sc build

macius8

SCCoA Member
So I've purchased my car around 4 years ago with blown headgaskets and with the idea of a mild engine rebuild and a overall refresh.... a few months later I have the entire drivetrain and suspension off the car, along with every removable body panel. I'll admit I think it quickly turned into an addiction. Unfortunately during the process I had to switch my car work area a couple times, got sidetracked with work, and a few other delays. Since it's been such a long time since I took the car apart, I'm forgetting how it all goes back together.. hence the reason for this thread. At the same time I figured I'd share the process with the community. Unfortunately I have not done a very good job documenting the rebuild so I'll just list a few upgrades thus far and start with my questions on the next post.

- Engine rebuilt courtesy of Mr. Dalke at SCU :D
- Front and rear suspension completely rebuilt with all new components (bushings - DLF and moog, shocks/springs, Al control arms, addco sways, etc)
- Hub swap to 4.5" with all cobra brake components
- Rebuilt steering rack
- And lots of stuff I'm missing

Here's a few shots of the process :)

20130309_130640.jpg
20130713_174044.jpg
20131227_114800.jpg
20140111_161433.jpg
IMG_0250.JPG

Issues:

1) Installed the front 1 3/8 addco sway bar. I was not able to fit both of the bracket washers provided and clear the frame without contact. If I use one washer I cannot get the sleeves on the bar. Is it acceptable to use washers in order to lower the k-member? Any other solutions here?
2) The sway bar also comes awfully close to the front shocks, probably 1/8" on each side. Is that acceptable?
3) The moog endlinks seem very long. The car is still off the ground. When the suspension compresses will everything align? Sorry for the rookie ?s

Also have a request. Can someone provide good quality photos of the car with fenders removed? Need to put everything together and just don't remember how it looked. As mentioned in the first post have not documented the process very well.

Issues:

1) Installed the front 1 3/8 addco sway bar. I was not able to fit both of the bracket washers provided and clear the frame without contact. If I use one washer I cannot get the sleeves on the bar. Is it acceptable to use washers in order to lower the k-member? Any other solutions here?
2) The sway bar also comes awfully close to the front shocks, probably 1/8" on each side. Is that acceptable?
3) The moog endlinks seem very long. The car is still off the ground. When the suspension compresses will everything align? Sorry for the rookie ?s

Also have a request. Can someone provide good quality photos of the car with fenders removed? Need to put everything together and just don't remember how it looked. As mentioned in the first post have not documented the process very well.

any input here?

Front_Suspension.gif

Front_suspension_02.jpg

Not sure i would shim the sub-frame, if that's what you're asking.

Are you sure the sway bar is near the shock? I'm not seeing that, sorry.

The end links are different between early and late models...are you sure you have the correct part?

Issues:

I genuinely think the 1-3/8 is too much sway bar unless you're running track/autocross events on race tires. I just don't think the SC generates the cornering forces necessary to use a bar that large, especially with the tires most people choose. Yes, these cars are heavy, but I autocrossed my SC on Hoosier slicks with a 1.25" front bar and never felt I needed more.

I'm running a 1.375" bar on my autocross Camaro, but I've datalogged 1.35G sustained/1.40G peak cornering forces with that car.

Managed to snap a photo of the bar/shock interference. There perhaps is a thousandth clearance between the bar and shock on each side. Also, when looking into the engine bay, visually the bar does not look centered. The car has not been aligned, so adjusting camber may help or worsen this.

KMT,
Looking at the links, I have the Moog which look curved. In the photo you posted they are straight. That might be the issue, but I don't think the interference will be eliminated with difference endlinks.
Also I did shim the subframe 3/16" in order to fit the spacers that go underneath the sway bar brackets. Without the subframe shimmed the sway bar interferes with the frame at the inside of the wheel well.

20140405_161402.jpg
20140405_161428.jpg
20140405_161505.jpg

Looking at the links, I have the Moog which look curved. In the photo you posted they are straight.
Early are straight; late are curved. I think you said you're working on a '95, so curved should be correct.

Another known issue with the front ADDCO bars is that you'll need to make yourself a pair of sleeves out of shim stock for the endlink holes, as the holes are both oversized and not tapered.

There are two different styles of the '93-97 endlinks. Both achieve the same end result.
endlink20comparo.jpg

If you were trying to use a '89-92 style endlink with a '93+ spindle, the mismatch would be obvious.

Last edited:
I have the bottom one from your photo. But the sway bar holes did not seem oversized. The tapered portion of the endlink fit and clamped down just fine.

I shortened the end links on mine for clearance. I might have pictures somewhere. I think we took out 3/4" or something. I also did this because the bar hit the crank pulley when the engine was in. Shortening the end links fixed all the problems.

Anyone have 94 plus sway bar end links they would part with?

Looks like I may part with mine if you're interested. I've got a set of moog ones: http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MOOG-K8635
I did put a notch on the end of the threaded portion so I can grab onto it and thread on the nut without the bushing spinning. I paid 110 for the set, and can let them go 70$ shipped. They have been installed but never seen road use.

I'll be trying out a set of adjustable endlinks and play with the lengths a little. Does anyone know what the distance, center to center, is for stock sc front endlinks?

Also do the rear Addco sway bars come with bushing brackets? There's no way the stock brackets will accommodate the 1-3/8 bushings...

Last edited:
Also have a photo request. Need a few detailed images of the wheel wells with fenders removed, both left and right. Actually any images with all components assembled, only fenders removed, appreciated.
Thanks,

I shortened the end links on mine for clearance. I might have pictures somewhere. I think we took out 3/4" or something. I also did this because the bar hit the crank pulley when the engine was in. Shortening the end links fixed all the problems.

Can you post or send me those pictures? Would like to see how it was done.
Thanks,

Back