ATF to fix lifter tick?

JT15601

So my 89 sc developed a tick yesterday that I am almost certain is a lifter tick because its coming from the passenger side head. Its not an exhaust leak I know that for sure and I took the serpentine belts off to ensure it wasn't an accessory. Its started yesterday to do it randomly then stop. Now its ticking all the time and it follows the rpms so that's why I believe its a lifter. I've hear that like a half quart of transmission fluid mixed with the oilf for like 100 miles will possibly clean it up. Then change the oil and filter back to normal. Has anyone ever done this? And is it worth a shot or will I just scatter my engine haha

I personally wouldnt do it. I also wouldnt put any engine cleaning additive. I had a bad experience when i was a kid with a 69 plymouth gtx that i owned. I tried some rislone i believe. After that I couldnt keep engine oil in it, a quart every 100 miles. Change the engine oil and maybe use some Lucas or the best thing is to change out the lifters. Thats just what I would try.

How often do you change the oil? What type/weight are you using? How many miles on the engine?

I change the oil and filter every 5k and the car has 183k on it. But the previous owner thought it was just a toy and didn't care much about it. I'm going to try Lucas oil today and see what happens

Do the ATF trick 1 quart a day before you change the oil. Take it easy in town driving lots of idle and let it sit overnight. Had to do this years ago on the Probe GTs with the 2.5 V6 with lifter problems, that and mobil one oil would quiet them down. Now im back at it with the ford 5.4 V8 and there chain tensioner, lifter, and cam phaser issues.

The ATF won't hurt anything, in my opinion. It's not good as a long-term substitute for engine oil, but it will be fine for a little while. I have tried that trick before, and it can help sometimes.

Back