Explorer VS MN12 differential case

90blkbrd

I know a local guy that thinks he is running a explorer rear IRS differential case in his RX-7. I can tell you the rear cover isn't a MN12. He is running 28 splines as he had custom half shafts made last year. He was running a TH350 and is now installing a powerglide. He wants to switch to 3.08 gears. If anyone cares he is running a iron block 6.0 LS motor.

If he can find a 3.08 trac-lock from a MN12 can he swap on the explorer cover and use it?

I believe so, yes. that is the only difference between the two, is the cover and even that is basically the same.

wouldnt that also make it easy to track down a 3.73 or 3.55 exploder diff and swap the cover over and be done or is the explorer 31 spline ?

Is there any year of MN12 that came with 3.08 and Trac-loc? I know my 92 sport had it but I know trac-lock was a option on that car.

I think his best bet is to buy the gears and have his differential redone but he isn't listening and wanting to find a used pumpin already setup with them.

My 93 5.0 came with 3.27 and TL.

My brother had a 93 LX with the 5.0 and it did not have 3.27s. I think it had 2.73s, but I am not sure.

I don't recall ever seeing a MN12 with the 3.08 gears and Trac-Loc. I thought that the 3.08 was started for these cars in 1994, at which point the SC came stock with brake-based traction control instead of a Trac-Loc.

My old 1992 Sport V8 came with 3.08 and traction-loc as an option.

Didn't all Mark VIII's come with an open differential?

All markviii's were open rears. Base ones got 3.07s while the lsc got 3.27s. Years ago I parted out a 92 cougar 5.0 that had a 3.08TL rear, so I know those were available in mn12s, just not SCs.

My brother had a 93 LX with the 5.0 and it did not have 3.27s. I think it had 2.73s, but I am not sure.

I don't recall ever seeing a MN12 with the 3.08 gears and Trac-Loc. I thought that the 3.08 was started for these cars in 1994, at which point the SC came stock with brake-based traction control instead of a Trac-Loc.

Think again.

Stock diff on a 1991 Cougar XR7 with the 5.0HO and AOD was .. 3.08 TL.

I can even take a picture of the door sticker for you, if you wish.

RwP

Heck mine could be 3.08. I'll have to get under there and look again. All I remember is it was gonna be fun with a M5R2 and the rear that was in it 3.something.:)

Back