PDA

View Full Version : Winter is over......what plans do you have for this year?

Ryan A Harris
03-20-2014, 10:19 AM
Seemed like this winter was/is never going end. When I moved back to southern Ontaio from Sudbury, I had thought all that snow was going stay up north.

Looking to see who has plans for trips to the track, or dyno tuning, or just cruising this summer. I hope we can have a few meets this year with a turn out of more than just the usual suspects(not that there is anything wrong with those fellas).

As it seems for me, my plans are still the same as they have been for the year & a half! Get down to one SC. I'm working on getting a trailer to tow my 95 to my house so I can start my SC craziness soon.

March: planning all my work-cant under estimate how BIG this is to my plans actually happening

April: tow car out my house-with both SC's at the same place, more planning! I can see what is coming off what car, what will be kept, what will be sold

May: 3 engines, 2 engine stands....plan to get dirty this month! Engines being pulled, then again more looking & planning. Early & late model cars & engines, not sure what's going in what, yet....

June: leaving this month open so far. I bet I will run into a few snags along the way so, June will catch up month

July: SCCoO BBQ at my house(still working on details with wife & family)

So, what are YOU'RE plans this year?

ALS35
03-20-2014, 02:36 PM
Good to hear from you, Ryan. Plans ... hmmm, wave goodbye to the mountains of snow. Still 5' tall next to my driveway. Still 2' deep in back yard.
I'm gathering parts still but here is the plan:
Install monster intercooler that I just got. 31" x12" x4". Should keep the car a bit cooler and go faster.
Mount trans cooler and fan.
Install pillar pod and 3 instruments. The trans guage will control the cooler fan.
Relocate battery to trunk (need the space under the hood)
Relocate water meth pump to battery space.
Install PCV catch can.
Fab and install new cold air baffles for the air cleaner.
Change stereo speakers.
etc. etc. etc.
No firm dates or months.
Oh yah ... go to meets and still work for a living.
Alan

91bird
03-20-2014, 06:24 PM
Sounds like you guys have the ball roll'n at least eh.
I am looking to take out the original rear seat of my 90 and put in the seat from my 91. That way I will be able to put in a couple of car seats so I can take the family for a few rides this year. I also have some upgrades planned but prolly a long way away from coming together. Since selling my truck I feel a little more free to spend time withe the SC. Also want to finish the audio in the car. I finished the front components last year so need to bring up the rear this year.

Take er easy guys.
Drew

superdadsc
03-20-2014, 08:17 PM
Replace tranny on the 94 w/ one from Dirty dog.

Tear down 89 so I can swap the cam from a 520 lift for a 600 lift cam from Dave D, and adjust valve train

install 5x8 component speakers front/rear in 89

Install sub in 89

These will be done in the next 4 weeks

Future stuff

buy injectors for 94 and get a real tune

new FMIC for the 89

Get a nice radar detector

Bigger intake for 89

Ryan A Harris
03-24-2014, 01:57 PM
As per most of my SC plans, I've hit a snag. It's not a large one, but one non the less. My truck only has a class II hitch, which is only good for 3,500 LBS. now my SC weights more,never adding the trailer. So not only am I going rent/borrow the trailer, now a tow vehicle is required. I'm now trying to figure out what will be the best way for me & my pocket book to get the SC out here. I'm going to call CAA to find out what a flatbed would cost for 65km's. could be cheaper than borrowing a tow vehicle, and then $125 for the trailer I have access too(with a winch!). I sure am glad I'm taking my time to plan everything out, heck I'm even getting slightly excited to be working on these cars again! It's been 7 years! Yes 7 years since I last drove my 95! It's hard to believe I still own it, Ive thought about it selling it all over the years a few times. But I'm not ready to give up, that's not in my nature.

Al, those are some good plans, the IC will be a great addition to your ride.

Drew, too bad about your project truck, but its understandable for sure. Spreading your time so thin, that you have none for anything soon! Getting out in your SC will bring a smile to you, and your kids!

Superdad, you will be a busy man for the next 4 weeks, then some!

So there are just 4 of us with plans?

ALS35
03-27-2014, 08:39 AM
I forgot to mention:
Remove tree from back yard that was trashed by ice storm.
Rebuild back deck.
Build front porch.
Repair motorcycle.
Stop watching TV.
Alan

Superbird281
03-30-2014, 11:51 PM
I'll make one more attempt to get my car tuned properly so it starts and idles and accelerates properly not like since I got the new engine installed. Don't know who or how, but I'll try. I really don't want to give this car up but either it works properly, or I don't want it. It's in such beautiful shape otherwise but if it doesn't run right, everything else is pretty irrelevant.

superdadsc
03-31-2014, 10:38 AM
Hang in there superbird! sounds like you have a nice SC. Have you posted your problems. Is the car stock or did you change things, inj, maf, cam, etc. Where do you live? Maybe someone from the club will help.

Won't get much for a poorly running sc. You can do it sounds like all the big stuff has been done.

You can get a base tune from xr7dave on a moetes chip!

kenewagner
03-31-2014, 01:01 PM
So there are just 4 of us with plans?

I didnt add anything as it looks like a Canada thread. ;)

Ken

superdadsc
03-31-2014, 03:32 PM
oops:D my bad!

Payton
04-03-2014, 07:00 AM
Want to get my time down at the track

shoalcracker
04-04-2014, 10:27 PM
I can't promise anything..

DD was good enough to spend some time last fall putting a tune together... so installing QH is #1

Al has mentioned that the car sits " like a stage coach" so I should put in the springs

Drop the front facia and install the water system

Re pipe the return system

Clean up the brakes

I'll be lucky if that happens this yr. The car is fun as is so I hate to see it off the road.

The manifold is cut and resigned for the extension.

When it's ready I guess the top comes off and the TVS and 4" intake gets installed as well as the fuel supply upgrades.

Throw on the diff pieces and its pretty solid.

Goes a long way to cleaning up the basement.

Paul

Payton
04-05-2014, 11:03 AM
I can't promise anything..

Paul

I like how you started it)

Steve Richards
04-06-2014, 03:22 PM
If all goes well, I plan to drive my 89 SC this year after 10 years of trying to get it to run right. DD has been a great help so far fixing TM's mistakes. I am looking forward to "style and power" as well as meeting up again with the SC guys.

Jason Wild
04-06-2014, 05:24 PM
I plan to rebuild the front end and maybe put in my MP intercooler and griffin rad

fturner
04-13-2014, 08:51 AM
I know the 300c is in the high 13's stock, so my target if I can find the time is to break into the 12's with tuning, CAI, 85mm TB, and SRT8 intake manifold. These cars don't take much to gain another 100 horses.... next year will be a cam, porting the heads and setting the car up to run a centrifugal supercharger. A roots style blower on these motors are pointless because the car can already shred the tires right off stock. Its getting the boost to come in at higher rpm's since it can easily go to 7000rpm is what makes the hemi's really shine.

The more I think about it, the more I think running a centrifugal supercharger would have been the better option on my SC. Running the MPX with 25% OD caused the car to make too much power in the low rpm's with the end result being the tires being shredded and losing time at the track trying to modulate the power. Running the MPX with 15% OD still made the car very responsive at lower rpm's and allowed the engine to rev higher and still make power, with the end result of better times. All my testing before I got rid of it proved that.... the MPX was restricted at 25% OD when the motor hit 5500rpm... but by dropping the OD to 15% allowed my to still make good power over 6000rpm.

Ah, to still have an SC to prove more theories for the optimal setup, but now on to bigger power hehehehehehhe.

Fraser

silvrbrd
04-13-2014, 02:33 PM
Only small mods this year. Front shocks to rebuild with koni adjustable inserts, that I managed to find last year. A monster oil cooler and filter relocate as always fighting heat at the track,(road course). Also going to convert to a center console handbrake as foot brake lever always digging into left ankle on the twisties!! On that subject, still need 94/95 center console top with handbrake slot for auto and a dead pedal assembly, put the word out please.
Hoping everyone has a great year.
Tony.

HoseHead
06-01-2014, 10:51 PM
A pair out of hibernation ...... a little behind this year. Still a blue '95 to awaken .....

HoseHead
06-01-2014, 10:53 PM
Posi be wurkin' guud ..............

91bird
06-02-2014, 12:27 AM
Look'n real good there Bruce. Wish mine could leave a little rubber like that lol.
I was actually swallowed by a G8, a Cobra and some Nissan while cruising on the 407 today.
All three were rolling together and actually slowed down beside me. As if eh. I thought after enough edging by all three I would have a laugh. They were the ones laughing though. I should have known better. at that time I was wishing I still had my 91.
Wait for another day I guess haha.
Drew

HoseHead
06-02-2014, 11:43 AM
Drew,
That pair o stripes was left by the bone stock red '90 with 180,000 kms you can see in the back ground.

Simply took her to about 4K and dumped the clutch.
Neighbour called asking if something was on fire as the tire smoke cloud wafted over the few acres between us.
Twas a lovely morning.

I didn't "excercise" the black '93 as I'm about not to own it and didn't want to break anything ...... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bruce

Ryan A Harris
06-02-2014, 05:14 PM
Tony, I have a bunch, but not all of what you're looking for.

Looking good Bruce!

Drew......stop hatin' on a stock SC.....Think you might be free this Sunday afternoon?

Wonder why I can't send tony a PM?

91bird
06-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Thats pretty sweet Bruce, so the black one is gonso eh? Well you wanted to trip down a bit so thats good. Hope it has a good home.
Not hate'n the stock one Ryan.Love driving it. Was actually nice to get noticed like that. Never happened before so I enjoyed it. But no match for them. I was actually surprised how quick the G8 was. Yikes!!

Drew

RedFox
06-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Hi Drew,

To bring things back into perspective, I still have the February 1989 Motor Trend mag where the SC won car of the year against the Cougar XR7, Dodge Spirit Es and Plymouth Aclaim LX. 0-60 for the SC with 5 speed was 7.84 and quarter 16.24 and 8.31/16.45 for the auto XR7. That was quick back then where the 1989 Corvette had only 245hp.

The 2008-2009 G8 GT has 361hp. The G8 GXP has the LS3 6.2 Corvette motor with 415hp and 415tq with available Tremec TH-6060 or 6 speed auto. 0-60 for the GT is 5.3 and the quarter is 13.8 and 4.5/13.0 for the GXP.

There are a bunch of videos on the web which take a current Honda or Toyota minivans and run them against 1980s Ferrari 308gtb/328gt. The minivans win even on the handling courses. Just shows how far we've gone.

Denis

91bird
06-05-2014, 08:59 AM
I can agree with the new minivans lol. I happened to pull beside my wife and her new Oddessy last year. and was shocked when she rugged it so it was a natural reaction for me to do the same. The dam van stayed just ahead of me until she let off. I did the typical loser fly by. It took me a while to get over that, I never did tell her my car was all out. lol.
My upgrades are still in the planning stages so I will keep enjoying my car as is until then.

Drew

ALS35
07-01-2014, 03:58 PM
So ... for plans ...
Install monster intercooler that I just got. 31" x12" x4". Should keep the car a bit cooler and go faster. Done:cool:
Mount trans cooler and fan. Done:cool:
Install pillar pod and 3 instruments. The trans guage will control the cooler fan. Done:cool:
Relocate battery to trunk (need the space under the hood) Done:cool:
Relocate water meth pump to battery space. Done:cool:
Install PCV catch can. Done:cool:
Change stereo speakers. Done:cool:
Fab and install new cold air baffles for the air cleaner. Not done yet...requires more thought.

The trans cooler plumbing requires a bit of tweaking.
Need to install a different air dam on the front (I have it fabbed, just need to paint and install).
I took two weeks off work to get this done. Many thanks to Tony for his help with the two man stuff.
Alan

RedFox
07-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Hey guys,

Let's see some pictures of all that wonderful stuff.

Steve Richards
07-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Here is what David had worked on for me. The whole write up is on his facebook page.

91bird
07-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Thats real impressive Steve. Very nice. I'm not on facebook so do you have any numbers on it? Looks like you put a lot of time into it.
Thanks
Drew

Steve Richards
07-06-2014, 02:10 PM
If you do a google search, you will find David's facebook page showing what he did. The most impressive part of the build was David's attention to detail. The modified top looks stock but is longer to accommodate the bigger blower. The custom fuel rails are a work of art. She runs very cool even on hot days thanks to the rad and front mount intercooler. And he dogged through a whole mess of electrical and various other issues. The end result...I love this car again. It is reliable, runs smooth, sounds great and stops extremely well.

Since the dyno, we addressed the slipping torque converter and the dis that cut out at 5000 rpm's.

Here is an extract from David's page...

Super Coupes Unlimited Inc. shared a link.
June 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYASzKgFKV0

Got the 1900 TVS to the dyno recently. On maiden voyage made 430rwhp SAE through a rather loose converter. We had a goal of 450rwhp for this build and I think with a few more miles on the motor it will hit that goal nicely.

richards
www.youtube.com
Tuned at TI Dyno

91bird
07-06-2014, 03:00 PM
That is really awesome, very impressive numbers. Would that make you the top dog for hp in our club?
I guess you an Payton have the only TVS set ups here, but I'm not sure what numbers Paytons car did.
Either way congrats on the great build.
Thanks
Drew

RedFox
07-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Steve,
Saw your car at Dave's. What a terrific colour and paint job.

Denis

Steve Richards
07-06-2014, 07:06 PM
Thanks guys. Thanks David for the great build. Thanks Sean and Bill for getting me started. Thanks Greg, Les and Ed for showing me what you can get out of these cars - those runs got me hooked. And thanks everyone else who pitched in to help me out over the years.

The paint took a lot of experimenting as it is difficult to do because of the metal content in the silver paint - it took a lot of pearl coats and then a lot of clear, wet sanding between coats. It's not bad for a 10 year old paint job however it was parked most of that time.

David can and has got bigger numbers however I was looking for a reliable build, that is fun to drive, and can corner and stop. The target horsepower was what I thought would be scary fast, and I was not building a car to run the quarter mile.

Les Borda
07-07-2014, 12:00 AM
You're welcome Steve, I loved doing that stuff back in those days along with all the guys you mentioned, as well as Ryan Harris and names I have forgotten.

I've forgotten many things since I left Toronto in 08 and went out to Edmonton and now here in Ottawa,also have forgotten people which is the worst thing. I had a lot of help from those guys you mentioned.

Now with my son Nick having this 90SC I'll be coming to you guys to dust off the cobwebs in my head and remind me how to do things.

If I EVER win a piece of that lottery there will be a 90 XR7 in my barn once again.

Cheers

Ryan A Harris
07-08-2014, 02:29 PM
March: planning all my work-cant under estimate how BIG this is to my plans actually happening

April: tow car out my house-with both SC's at the same place, more planning! I can see what is coming off what car, what will be kept, what will be sold

May: 3 engines, 2 engine stands....plan to get dirty this month! Engines being pulled, then again more looking & planning. Early & late model cars & engines, not sure what's going in what, yet....

June: leaving this month open so far. I bet I will run into a few snags along the way so, June will catch up month

July: SCCoO BBQ at my house(still working on details with wife & family)

So, what are YOU'RE plans this year?

Holy smokes, am I ever behind......I'm still stuck in the month of may as for my to do list above. The logistics of a BBQ at my place this month do not look good.

Steve, so good to hear that you have your car to point you are happy with. It's been an uphill struggle for you, nice to have a guy like Dave Dalke able to help out.

ALS35
07-08-2014, 05:41 PM
Holy smokes, am I ever behind......I'm still stuck in the month of may as for my to do list above. The logistics of a BBQ at my place this month do not look good.

Ryan; If you need another pair of hands to get you past May, say the word. My weekends are filling up but I will help you with your stuff. I also need to get my stuff back from you. I have another car to put it on now:D. I thought you were going to call me to arrange a meet up:confused:.
Alan

ALS35
07-10-2014, 05:59 PM
I'll make one more attempt to get my car tuned properly so it starts and idles and accelerates properly not like since I got the new engine installed. Don't know who or how, but I'll try. I really don't want to give this car up but either it works properly, or I don't want it. It's in such beautiful shape otherwise but if it doesn't run right, everything else is pretty irrelevant.

Try removing the two rear O2 sensors and get them turned off in the tune. From what I have heard it sounds like your sensors are having an argument and you are the one who suffers. I don't know why they put two on each side of your car in the first place. Talk to Tony. He has the same engine and I think he now only has one sensor on each side.
Alan

RedFox
07-13-2014, 11:56 AM
Try removing the two rear O2 sensors and get them turned off in the tune. From what I have heard it sounds like your sensors are having an argument and you are the one who suffers. I don't know why they put two on each side of your car in the first place. Talk to Tony. He has the same engine and I think he now only has one sensor on each side.
Alan

My understanding of this is the rear sensors are there to assess the functioning of the cats and the more you deviate from the stock parameters the more they can cause issues. For that reason, most tuners turn them off.

HoseHead
07-14-2014, 12:29 PM
Confirmed to roll ..... :D

This car grabs attention wherever it goes.
I suppose the colour attracts and then the inevitable ..."Is that really a Ford?"

This picture doesn't do it justice though, the paint here looks pale and the car dusty. It ain't.

I need at least a 48 hr meet notice ........ Ready when you are. :)

Bruce

Ryan A Harris
08-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Well, during our long weekend, I got busy working on the final parts for finishing up parting out this 90 SC. I pulled the engine on Sat, and then had to wait until Mon to get the trans removed.

Thanks Al, for the use of the hoist, it fits under my garage door with the engine clearing the rad support. It was a Huge help, it did ALL the heavy lifting.....

First time I have done that job alone, and it went well. But I had all summer leading upto this point, so it should have gone well. Plus everything was touched almost 2 years ago when we dropped it in. I've added a few pics to my kids, they absolutely love helping daddy work on the SC. They are very sad that their "fun SC" is going to scrap soon. I think they are attached because of the one time I took my family of 4(at that time) for a trip up to Milton cruise night to meet up with a few SCCoO'ers. On the way home Kdendra said that she missed driving fast in the SC's. So, I, um, ah, did that for her. RIGHT THREW THE RADAR TRAP!!! I told my kids before the officer got to my window that daddy has to go to jail for going to fast. Did that to try to make them upset so I might get let off.....didn't work.

Anyway, according to my list, waaay behind. Seems to be my story these days.

91bird
08-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Good storey Ryan,too bad he didnt let you off. should have with the kids being so upset and all. lol. nice pics, love the milk crate seat too nice touch.
Bruce, just noticed the pic of your car. Looks sweet man. it has a real nice stance.

Drew

fturner
08-12-2014, 01:02 PM
Now that just wrenches my heart to see the ole girl torn down like that.... pitty she couldn't have been saved :(

Frit

Les Borda
08-12-2014, 07:25 PM
Always hurts to see one hit the parts yard. Not sure what all was wrong with Ryan's. There's times you just have to call it and put up a no resuscitate code . Some look so good..until...you pull off the skirts....look under at the floors and trunk...shock towers and then suddenly it's FUGLY:eek:

Ryan A Harris
08-19-2014, 11:55 AM
Fraser, I can understand that feeling. But feel a little better knowing, a lot of parts have already gone to help keep others on the road. Plus a lot of your hard work will be going into my 95. The floor had 2 very large holes right threw. Under the drivers skirts, there was no evidence of a car, just a bunch of dust. Car went to good use, an apprentice mechanic, a young kid. He wanted to just work on anything to help him learn. Also, my kids loved that car, the only SC they have a ride in, so far.

After a two weeks of not working on anything SC related, only working on "my plan". It's starting to look as though I'm wanting to get the car running. Meaning pulling an engine & trams, then dropping in what I've pulled from the 90. Kendra suggested that, and its making a lot of sense. No need to re-do the complete car. Only the engine and trans are broken......

Looks like the rest of my summer will be more organizing, and selling parts. I'm going to need a few bucks to end up where I'd like the car to be.