PDA

View Full Version : SC being in storage is killing me

1FSTBRD
03-21-2014, 08:51 PM
I'd got my SC about a month ago, and the brutal road salts and winter won't be nice to the car, so it's been in storage since then. This is eating me ALIVE. I don't think i've had anything this great that has essentially been sitting idle. The worst part is that our winter seems to be prolonged (ie: one day of nice, melty weather that is followed by a cold one), and we've had the coldest winter here on record for 78 years, and there's still piles of snow to be melted. My SC was driven in the winter by the previous owners, but in a small rural town without the punishing salts. The floorboards and frame are almost perfect, so I don't want to ruin that.

Help me cope with this by telling me that you're rocking your SC daily right now and that you are doing unspeakable things with it. Tell me that you are driving down the highway at ungodly speeds, and that you have the sunroof open and that you are air drumming on the steering wheel.:D

potshotscott
03-22-2014, 12:31 AM
Just got my speedo gear put in my new '01 transmission, fresh oil change, 87K, dark blue '94 SC with NICE leather interior. Very clean, very straight, and except for 2001 Mustang transmission very stock.

Had it out on the 4 lane beltway and let's just say I know where the governor is. Super fun car. I especially like pulling up next to the kids in Honda's. LOL

MadMikeyL
03-22-2014, 11:21 AM
I daily drive my 90sc, and except for the days of heavy snow, have driven it all winter. My car is still solid, but does have a couple small rust holes in the floorboards, and the rockers are getting a little soft behind the ground effects, so I don't feel bad taking it out in the winter. And yes, it regularly hits triple digit speeds. Sometimes I think about spending the time and money to make the body perfect, but then I would feel bad using it as a daily, so I'll run it till the rust consumes it, then I'll find a nice rust free body to swap the motor into.

pro street rich
03-22-2014, 12:28 PM
I got my first S.C. in 1990 and never drove it during the winter months. Sure now I have a rust free car in the rust belt of the world but that is ok with me. One year I did drive another one of my S.C.'s all winter but it had been driven before so I was not the first one. I did sell off that one but yes it does suck not driving one now. Today is one of those days that the streets are clean and dry, BUT that road salt is still out there waiting to get kicked up on it so I will have to wait still longer and drive something else...Summer is coming so just keep cool and enjoy when these roads are clean for us to play....Rich

1FSTBRD
03-22-2014, 01:52 PM
There's a slight bit of bubbling around the passenger rear fender lip, but you have to look really hard and it appears to be surface rust only. I'd got it for $2000 with a rebuilt status. SC's rarely come up for sale around here, too, and when they do, they're usually pretty thrashed. The interior is near perfect (no rips in the seats or cracks in the dash), but the radio doesn't work. I'll be getting rid of the stone/ mud flaps. I like that the car still feels new enough, but with enough of the holdover from the 80's styling and some less refined things that have been corrected and a little bit too sterile--like the shifter and the turn signal switch, etc.

Nothing that you guys don't already know here, but thought i'd weigh in with my own thoughts. I can't wait to get this thing out on the road. On the drive home, my buddy near crapped his pants when i'd floored the car with the combination of that low end torque and nearing balding tires on icy roads. :eek:

superdadsc
03-22-2014, 05:32 PM
I was driving my 89 after my tennis match this afternoon and decided to take it on the highway for an exit or two. Fun Fun and she is down 100hp lol. Only has 31k with a fresh rebuild, car looks like it is brand new. Beautiful day for a drive with the wind blowing and Zepplin cranking!!

My 94 is out of commission with a blown tranny but that will be going to dirty dog aka Allan for a 4r70w mustang tranny rebuild with a 2800 stall and VB w/ cooler on the 11th! Can't wait. She's got a DIC, 75 tb and 76 maf with a ported blower and plenum. Awesome ride and despite the 116k she looks like 50k. Awesome shape and the best riding SC I have driven and I have had 5 of them, bought four in the last year or so.

Good weather is around the corner so hang in there, do something to make it better for you and enjoy that blower whine!!!

1FSTBRD
03-22-2014, 08:07 PM
Awesome ride and despite the 116k she looks like 50k

You have a car that is half of it's advertised age? Careful--that could be illegal. :D

1FSTBRD
04-03-2014, 07:36 PM
Well, I took it out of storage a few days ago. It fired up like it had sat for a few hours. Since then, i'd done a few things:

--got rid of the old man mudflaps. The mudflaps made more sense for the previous owner, since he lived down a rural road with gravel
--took off the silencer. Not super hard to do, but trying to jimmy it out of there was a bit more difficult than i'd thought
--changed out the rear diff fluid with synthetic diff fluid and some friction modifier
--cleaned out the IAC. There wasn't much carbon in there, but I decided to clean it out anyways (the throttle body was damn near spotless as it was....barely any dirt or gunk)
--tightened up the throttle cable. This has made a ton of difference. It roasts the tires when you push the gas pedal in couple of inches (which as all seasons with about 30 percent tread left, isn't that hard to do!)
--put in 94 octane
--put a jumper wire in the octane plug terminals so that the car is running at optimal timing. The guy that had the car before me must have taken the plug out.

Before i'd put it in storage, i'd changed out the fuel filter/ got a fuel service/ Mobil 1 synthetic oil with high flow K&N oil filter/ changed and flushed the coolant. This car is gonna be fun to modify and work on. :D