aod trans fluid

gtx446

Good afternoon,

I am going to have my trans flushed this weekend,what trans fluid do you recoomend I use..
Thx Vic

My AOD was completely drained and filled with Mercon V. I am not happy with the results.

It's hard to explain -although it shifts fine through all the gears, it feels like something is not completely disengaging when I decelerate.

Last edited:
My AOD was completely drained and filled with Mercon V. I am not happy with the results.

It's hard to explain -although it shifts fine through all the gears, it feels like something is not completely disengaging when I decelerate.

Trans-flush=bad idea!!

I run Mercon III and my AOD is just fine.

An AOD has no need for Mercon V so I don't see the point in spending the extra money.

As for the flush if your trans is slipping and you change all the fluid get ready for a rebuild. How many miles since last change and/or on trans?

I run Mercon III and my AOD is just fine.

An AOD has no need for Mercon V so I don't see the point in spending the extra money.

As for the flush if your trans is slipping and you change all the fluid get ready for a rebuild. How many miles since last change and/or on trans?

Thanks for the reply.

Where did you buy straight Mercon III these days? I thought it was no longer made so I went with Mercon V.

My AOD only has about 50 miles and one small Shootout burnout on it with the Mercon V in it.

It's not slipping -just acting weird.

I also second the "DO NOT FLUSH"

I recommend that you drain/remove the pan, clean the pan REAL WELL/Hospital clean

Also recommend DRAINING THE CONVERTER, IF IT HAS A DRAIN

Replace the filter, (most late model Fords have a re-useable pan gasket with metal in it, and IF yours still has it you can re-use it rather than using the one that comes with the kit.

I don't think I would introduce STNTHETIC fluid into a relatively high mile trans, just regular stuff, there should be a spec in your manual.....I'm thinking regular Mercon that's Ford approved will be just fine.

JUST DON"T FLUSH UNLESS YOU WANT TO HAVE IT REBUILT SOON!!!!!

Thanks for the reply.

Where did you buy straight Mercon III these days? I thought it was no longer made so I went with Mercon V.

My AOD only has about 50 miles and one small Shootout burnout on it with the Mercon V in it.

It's not slipping -just acting weird.

I just grabbed a jugs of Coastal from AutoZone.

Flushing the trans is ok if the trans has been well maintained. if it has not then dont do it. if it has not been well maintained i wouldnt even open the pan. i had a super duty that was bought new. never had anything done to the trans nothing not even add any oil it was still going strong at 252,000 miles when it went to auction. it was getting rusty.

Good to know on not doing a trans flush. Does it knock loose things that are on the verge of failing? I know that some recommend not even getting an oil flush because of carbon deposits that can gum up small oil passages and things like that.

the fluid, from what i understand is full of small pieces of clutch parts and other contaminates. that grit is what is driving the worn out parts.

Back