Black exaust smoke.

scskydivin

SCCoA Member
Under startup I have a fine/light mist of white smoke out of both tail pipes that goes away. I attribute some of that to the month of March and the accompanying low temperatures. My concern is when I romp on the accelerator. Nice, thick, choking black smoke comes flying out of the pipes. It's when I floor it on the freeway or tap the throttle hard while parked. Not during idling and normal driving. The o2 sensors haven't been changed in 60 or 70,000 miles. That is also the mileage on the motor. I did just change the oil 3 days/200 miles ago and it's already looking dirty. What causes this, and where do I start looking for the fix? Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Yes, I know. The last time I did it was over a year ago. I didn't know it could cause black smoke. I've had the car over 10 years and this has never happened.

Only can cause it if its plugged tight. its the simplest thing to try and its first in line on the intake. Do you get a cel?

No I do not. The filter's dirty, for sure. But it's not plugged tight. I plan on cleaning it this weekend.

When you remove the air filter to clean it, spray the filaments in the MAF with brake parts cleaner or MAF cleaner spray. If they get dirty it'll give a false signal to the EEC and cause excess fuel to burn. Bad O2 sensors can make it blow black smoke too, but you will normally get a CEL and an O2 sensor code.

When you remove the air filter to clean it, spray the filaments in the MAF with brake parts cleaner or MAF cleaner spray. If they get dirty it'll give a false signal to the EEC and cause excess fuel to burn. Bad O2 sensors can make it blow black smoke too, but you will normally get a CEL and an O2 sensor code.

Thx for reminding me of the MAF filaments. I forgot about those little sensors in there. The O2 sensors are 7 years old with 70,xxx miles on em. But, no CEL with the accompanying sensor code.

Back