Brake Leak

kevs91sc

I have a 91 SC Automatic, I have replaced the Accumulator and the Relay switch on because I found that the Accumulator was bad and so was the switch. Now I have a problem. I am leaking brake fluid and alot of it.

I double checked the accumulator to make sure it was on tight and that the o-ring was on the tip of it and that the one from the old accumulator was not stick inside the hole that the accumulator screws into. I let it set for a few days and there was no fluid under the car, I looked at the reservoir and it was perfect on fluid, right on the mark so I started it up and let it run for a while and pupmed the brakes a few times. I cheked under the car and there was no fluid under the car so I though maybe I had fixed the problem somehow. When I rechecked the fluid it was low so I added fluid less than 5 minutes later there was a huge puddle of brake fluid under the car. I got out the flash light and looked to see where it was coming from and I really cant see that well under the reservoir, but it appears that it is leaking from either the hose that comes out of the bottom of the of the reservoir and connects to the master cylinder under where the accumulator or above there at the accumulator. I checked the lights on the dash and they are not on and the pedal feels like the pedal on my 99 Mustang GT and my 97 Tbird.

Any ideas on something to check? Was hoping to not have anymore brake problems after replacing the accumulator and relay.

Thanks for any advice.

I attached a picture of where i'm talking about.

Attachments

• picture 007.jpg
    picture 007.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
brakes

If you look closely at the pump you will see a weap hole just like a water pump.You really need a mirror on a stick to get a good look.The seal/bearing is probably gone but it will leak intermittenly which will drive you crazy.If that's it you may as well replace the entire hydrolic actuator assembly.Contact Prior Remanufacturing(they mave a website) for the details.They want $350 vs Fords $1600.I think there is a link in the parts section.

I read a post about a Brake Pressure Switch that can leak that is in the same area that cost around 85 dollars to replace. Is it possible that this can be the problem. It was not leaking until after I replaced the accumulator. I also talked to some other people and they said maybe I should check the o ring on the accumulator that it might not be big enough to keep it from leaking there.....the only reason I say anything about that is because its not a intermittant leak, its a constant leak while it has pressure on the system

Last edited:
Where did you get the accumulator?

If you bought it from Ford, they have two different models. One has a longer threaded end than the other. If you got the long threaded unit and your ABS needs the shorter threaded unit, it may not be allowing the O-ring to seal the connection properly. The shorter thread units are universal (Prior sells the shorter/universal type unit)

Accumulator

I got the accumulator from Prior. Ford told me that didnt make it anymore....but I live in podunkville NC and they wouldnt know their...well enough about ford. I actually took my car to ford and told them it was leaking brake fluid. They basically told me that it was not leaking brake fluid, that it was using more because the pads were worn. Not just the pads, but that the rotors were gone and I'd have to buy new ones. They wanted 600.00 or something like that, I said change the oil and paid 150.00 for the diagnosis. Came home jerked off the wheels, pads were fine and rotors were perfect, go figure. SO basically I'll be learning how to work on this SC from here on out, so any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
Man.. that camera angle just had me totally baffled! So, I went to take a look at mine. The pump motor is at the bottom of the whole unit. I noticed that your leak appears to be above the location of the motor. That sort of rules it out as the obvious source of the leak. Also, in your picture, the accumulator is almost right above where the small steel tube comes out on the left.. It looks like the leak isn't originating from there either as that's dry.

That rubber braided hose is a feed from the reservoir I believe. It is a low pressure hose. I would feel around underneath there and see if its seeping from where the hose plugs into the housing. Try wiggling the hose around and see if fluid comes out. Also, see if you can get a mirror under there and see if you can determine the highest place where its wet. Theres where you'll find your leak.

Finally, KOEO, have someone pump the brakes while you feel around for the leak. If its really hosing out, you should be able to see it.

make sure there is nothing resting on that line, it will leak with almost any sort of pressure applied to it.

Thanks, I will check out these things when it decides to stop raining and I can see if anything is leaking out from underneath there. I also am going to look with a mirror to see if I can find anything, I'm beginning to think that I should have just replaced the entire thing instead of all this, sometimes more work is less hassle.

Kevin

Back