Throttle cable--is yours really loose and slack too?

1FSTBRD

I'd noticed this with my '99 3.8 Stang as well.....the gas pedal on my SC is really mushy and unresponsive. I'm going to check on the SC today, but I know on the Mustang, the cable had enough slack in it to prevent the TB from being totally open.....probably about 75-80 percent open. Do you guys have a lot of slack in yours, too? I'm going to tighten it up--the throttle response on my Stang was night and day; enough to identify some pretty obvious traction problems once the throttle was where it should be.

For the first--I guess, 30-40 percent of the gas pedal travel on my SC--it feels like there isn't much response at all. Engine is fine, there's no problems. Did Ford set the cables like this to help people stay out of the gas and have it be less touchy so that they'd get better gas mileage? Or do the cables just loosen up that much over time? I'm interested to see if any long term SC owners (ie: since the cars were new) have any input on this.

As far as slack is the throttle cable it sounds to me like yours is worn at some point in the linkage.

I have several SC"s and none of them suffer from this problem.

Good to know. So you can't pull your gas pedal forward at all?

Edit: i'd tightened it up and the difference is night and day. With some all seasons with maybe 35 percent tread left, it roasts the tires while moving, in first gear, no problem, at maybe 25-30 percent throttle.

Last edited:
Back