Shocks info please

Bullitt764

I know the SC shocks are back ordered but my front shocks are busted. I need new ones. Will the KYB strut assy, strut mount, and lower coil spring insulators be good enough? Or should I just buy some cheapo for a LX and wait for the Tokiko's?

Or something else?

Will they be "good enough"? Define "good enough".

They're fine for me, but I'm a grandpa driving a grandpa car.

Others aren't satisfied with solid steel rods for shocks :D:D

They beat Monroe shocks IMO, but YMMV.

In the meantime - Try a set of the FCS, or go to the LX and pick up the Raybestos or Monroe all in one units, and use those until the Tokikos are available, then get your current springs (or the new lowering springs, if you're ordering them!) put together and swap them out.

Good news - a good day, and you can do them yourself, and since they aren't MacPherson struts, you don't even have to align unless you whack something off while swapping the spring/shock/mount combo!

If you go for Monroe or Raybestos, do consider doing the rear shocks matching at the same time, so that the handling will be somewhat predictable and matched front/back.

RwP

Not sure where your located, but I have a stock pair of front struts & springs off my 94 if your interested.

Just for reference the Tokico numbers are EU3689 and EE3690

89 is Front

90 is the Rear

MSRP is currently 193.53 each.

No vendors have them within the US. Japan hasn't made any and shipped them since 2012. Right now it looks like the end of July before any make it to the US.

Last edited:
My five speed car has new Monroe sensatracs all 4 corners and my auto car has Gabriel's in the front mototcraft in the back and both ride / drive 10x.better than wore out arc's

Stupid question... What happens to the ride control if you replace the shocks with non-arc units? Does the arc do anything at that point? I know it still control the EVO but as far as suspension I guess it would be kind of useless...

Stupid question... What happens to the ride control if you replace the shocks with non-arc units? Does the arc do anything at that point? I know it still control the EVO but as far as suspension I guess it would be kind of useless...

Just unplug them and put them up on a shelf in the garage. The actuator(s). Only kept the ARC as it is what helped make the SC an SC back in the day. Probably better shocks out there now, but only one set allows the system to still work.

I do NOT know when they will be in. 3 Weeks would be the earliest, but don't hold your breath. I asked for 10 sets. Once they are in a website link will be provided and a member will order directly from that link with the vendor.

That's the best I can do at this time. If I had to guess a set of 4 is going to cost about $500-600. That is just a guess once they arrive the final numbers will be known.

I do NOT know when they will be in. 3 Weeks would be the earliest, but don't hold your breath. I asked for 10 sets. Once they are in a website link will be provided and a member will order directly from that link with the vendor.

That's the best I can do at this time. If I had to guess a set of 4 is going to cost about $500-600. That is just a guess once they arrive the final numbers will be known.

Please let me know when they are available.

Thanks, David

So for people that have been in SC's with newer Tokicos, how do they compare with non ARC shock replacements. Is there a major difference?

Sparktec

Just for reference the Tokico numbers are EU3689 and EE3690

89 is Front

90 is the Rear

MSRP is currently 193.53 each.

No vendors have them within the US. Japan hasn't made any and shipped them since 2012. Right now it looks like the end of July before any make it to the US.

Sparktec Motorsports on line store states they have the front and can ship next day $116.11 ea, anybody ever buy from these guys?

Sparktec Motorsports on line store states they have the front and can ship next day $116.11 ea, anybody ever buy from these guys?

Sounds like one of the many sites that still have our shock P/Ns in their databases. You order from them and they order from a warehouse. Most likely if you try to order you'll be told they're back ordered and not in their/anyone's physical inventory

Yep. At this time, it's best to call these places and confirm that they do have them in stock rather than just believing what the websites say. New shocks are now coming in from Tokico, but it will be a bit before all the usual carriers have them in stock.

Back