Starter? Something else?

PROJECTMAYHEM21

Went to start my 92 sc and when I step on the clutch and turn the key i get a single click then nothing...Tried jumping it with the same results, started up fine maybe 4 days ago and haven't moved the car, does this sound like a starter issue or maybe a relay, just looking to single something out
thanks
ps headlights/instrument panel all work correctly

Last edited:
Have you tried using a jumper on the starter relay to see if the starter turns? Make sure your in neutral with the ebrake on.

Check for a loose ground cable...solid contacts on the positive cable from the solenoid to the terminal. Also solid contact on the starter

Literally just found this out an hour ago, the only thing I tried is jumping the battery, just trying to see if anyone has had a similar experience

The "I" terminal? Not on our cars, nope.

It's there for hysterical - err, historical - reasons. Back when Distributors Were It and Points Were King, there wasn't enough spark at start speeds to fire off properly with the ballast resistor in the circuit for the coil, so the "I" terminal allowed bypassing the ballast resistor, supplying the full voltage to the coil, thereby causing a hotter spark.

None of that is on a SC, however *grins* Not even the single coil.

But the "S" terminal, if connected to the 12V, should activate the upper solenoid, sending the signal to activate the starter's solenoid.

At this point, I'd recommend an EVTM so you can chase the wiring better - but in the meantime, AllDataDIY has good wiring diagrams. I understand Mitchell does also.

RwP

I had the same problem today

I just tried starting mine for the first time in 3 years today, same thing. just a click from the solenoid under the hood. I turned the key to the on Position, and laid a screwdriver across the two large terminals. bingo, she started right up. I bought a solenoid for 25 bucks, and I'll try that in the morning.

More than likely you have a loose wire on the starter. It's the small wire that excites the solenoid on the starter. It's a spade lug and when they get loose and dirty they make intermittent contact. Try cleaning it and crimping it tight. When I bought a new starter from NAPA the spade lug was replaced with a screw and nut and there was an eyelet adapter with it to replace the lug on the wire.

Back