need new sunroof seal.

kw90supercoupe

I need a new sunroof seal. Does anybody have one or know ware i can find one. Message me or give me a call or text 219-964-1496 kyle

Based on the phone number you have, I am going to venture to guess you're from Indiana. Depending on where you are I could point you to the sunroof shop that did mine for me. I've known the owner since I was a kid

I ordered and installed the one from SunroofDoctor (mentioned above). Different design over the stock one I replaced. There isn't a "J" Channel on it that hooks under the ring on the roof panel. Instead of needing to apply silicone to the seal to hold it in place, the new seal has 3M tape already applied to it. Simply clean the panel up and stick the new seal around it and reinstall. Was a good tight fit. You do need to make sure you trim the seal at a 90 degree angle as the seal was a bit longer than required, but a fresh razor blade took care of it quickly and easily.

Just restorected another '89 5spd, this one with the sun/moon roof. I'm deff gonna need a seal, lol. First time caught out in the rain was NOT a real pleasant experience!
After having these in a while, how happy r you guys with them? Do they leak (this is an all season DD in Ohio)? How hard were they to install (did you have to drop headliner)?

R there any other options, preferably with the factory style "j hook" shape (I always prefer factor style stuff to double sided tape)?

Thanks

Adam

I got mine from Sunroof Doctor as well. There were no options as far as I know, just the one style. It does have a small lip but it's nothing like the factory one.

The installation was pretty straightforward and no, you don't have to drop the headliner. You have to slide the partition back, vent the roof and remove the screws holding the glass to its rail. You may need to readjust the glass several times throughout the process. I'll add as well that a pair of helping hands might speed up glass re-installation. The old seal might not come off very easily but hey, it's getting replaced anyhow. Just make sure you clean the surface well before installing the seal. As far as the lip, you just have to be mindful and guide the seal on as you're installing it so it stays flush.

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with mine. It's lasted through two rainy seasons and the scorching Arizona sun. They also sell the rail assembly with trough which I've thought about buying, and the seal comes with plenty of extra material in case you need to patch a spot... or you decide to make a smaller sun roof to keep the moon roof company... totally up to you.

Either way... No more water down my back! I'd call that a win.

Yep. Ordered same day I posted. Very simple to install really. I made extra work for myself by removing the headliner shield (?) but it was all to the good, cuz I found ANOTHER mouse nest back in there :mad: I did have a stuck/stripped screw, but was able to drill off the head, but the insert melted out of the frame when I tried to drill the shaft out. Repaired it with an #8 thread nut-sert :cool:

Thanks for the info yet again guys!

Adam

Back