Speedometer Issues

90coug

My speedometer doesn't kick in until after I'm moving faster than 5-8mph. I replaced the gauge cluster with another good working unit but that didn't do anything for me. I also replaced the VSS and that didn't do squat for me either.

Not only that but it's off by about 4mph which seems to get better with speed.

I'm confused, what might be in-between the two that would cause this problem?

Ideas?

Edit: After walking away and thinking about this a bit would the teeth on the gear cause the speedometer to not engage until it's reaches a certain speed? I wouldn't think so and that's why I never checked but since I'm here, how many teeth for a 95' 4570W ? Also, not sure if it matters but this car has the 3.31 installed from the factory in the back which for those who didn't know was a factory upgrade that could be had.

Last edited:
Although I think the gears inside the head unit are self-lubricating, I'd not ignore the vagaries of time. We've also been alerted to an issue where a small internal sticker loses it's grip and can fall into the mechanism.

Might be time to take a look inside the dash.

Thanks, but as mentioned above I've already swapped out the gauge cluster with same results.

Any other ideas?

Although I think the gears inside the head unit are self-lubricating, I'd not ignore the vagaries of time. We've also been alerted to an issue where a small internal sticker loses it's grip and can fall into the mechanism.

Might be time to take a look inside the dash.

Thanks, but as mentioned above I've already swapped out the gauge cluster with same results.

Any other ideas?

Edit: Wanted to come back and mention that the gauge cluster I swapped was from my other 95 which doesn't have this problem. So I've taken the gauge and vss out of the equation, what does that leave?

Edit: Wanted to come back and mention that the gauge cluster I swapped was from my other 95 which doesn't have this problem. So I've taken the gauge and vss out of the equation, what does that leave?

A wiring issue? I know I had one where the speedo would randomly cut out, especially at low speeds. and it turned out the wiring going to the VSS was all corroded and only actually connected by a few strands. I spliced in a new VSS pigtail, and the problem was fixed.

A wiring issue? I know I had one where the speedo would randomly cut out, especially at low speeds. and it turned out the wiring going to the VSS was all corroded and only actually connected by a few strands. I spliced in a new VSS pigtail, and the problem was fixed.

Hmm, yea suppose that could be an issue but it's never cut out just takes a bit to start working. Something to look at again but I'm almost positive it's ok, at least around the plug on the transmission.

Oh and KMT, no need to look at the gauge itself since it works perfect in the other bird.

Last edited:
i am referring to the plastic gear on the sensor in the trans

Ok, gotcha. Last time I looked it was ok but I might want to revisit.

Any idea how many teeth it should have? '95 4r70w with 3.31's in the back.

I remember there being a calculator somewhere on this board, just need to find it.

Back