balancer ?

tmz93sc

has anyone had one of the bolts for the harmonic balancer pulley break off? i believe there are four bolts correct, my mechanic said he could drill out the old bolt and rethread it. my question is will this damage the balancer? it is a (bhj)

Only 1 bolt holds the HB to the crank.
The crank pully has 4 bolts that hold it to the balancer/
If bolts broke off the pully you have other issues.

thanks for the response. wish i knew i had to use shorter bolts for the (bhj) :mad: guess i will be taking it back to the shop that put it in. how long can i continue to drive it with only 3 bolts in the pulley?

I wouldn't drive it. The other 3 bolts in the pulley may already be broken. All 4 of mine were, and I didn't know that until I removed the bots from the pulley. I thought it was one, maybe 2 at the most. Nope. all 4. I'd say, shut er down till you get the bolts fixed. Then, keep a sharp eye one it. You don't want it to fly off at 2,000 rpm's & take out a few other items under the hood that you don't plan on replacing. Then you'll really have a headache. Don't forget to properly torque down the balancer bolt and all 4 pulley bolts, if your doing any of the work yourself.

Back