brake booster doesn't come on

JT15601

So I got in my car leaving school today and I realized my brake pedal was really stiff and I started rolling away when I put it in neutral. So I thought "no matter, turn the key, motor kicks on, buzz buzz, I have brakes" well no. The brake motor didn't kick on so I didn't have any brakes. I drove home like 2 miles (stopping by downshifting) and I checked the fuses there all good. So what could make this happen? It didn't happen while driving it happened after I parked it for like 2 hours. I checked all the fuses under the hood and there fine. This electronic boosted brake thing is ridiculous.

I would say the brushes for the motor probably are worn out. But first thing first you need to test the power wires going to the abs motor to see if they have power.

Have you tried powering the motor its self to see if it runs? If it does not run then the brushes are probaly bad in the motor.

Ok so I took a long socket extension and tapped the motor with it and it kicked on and works now. So I guess it hit a flat spot.

The brushes are probably almost gone. It may be getting ready to fail completely. I would recommend that you do something about it now.

In the past, board member the-big-e has usually had rebuilt motors available. You can try contacting him. There are other avenues to pursue as well. No new motors, unfortunately. But if you catch these motors early, they are usually rebuildable with no problem.

Ok so I took a long socket extension and tapped the motor with it and it kicked on and works now. So I guess it hit a flat spot.

Can you look (from underneath if needed) and see if there is brake fluid leaking out of the motor at all...

Can you look (from underneath if needed) and see if there is brake fluid leaking out of the motor at all...

It doesn't leak any fluid and the motor looks to be dry. I only need the car to last a few more months. We will see of it fails again I'll look into replacing it. The brake light came on when it wasn't working and went off when it started working again to I'll keep an eye out for the light and if I do get it I'll quickly pull over before I drain the accumulator

I was going to suggest you check/clean the ground wire on the front of the unit, but if tapping on the motor makes it come to life, then that has to be where your issue is.

Good luck and be careful.

Back