Universal Firewall & Dash Mount - For Those Looking For Powerful Race Quality Braking

superbird89

Universal Firewall & Dash Mount - For Those Looking For Powerful Race Quality Braking

Hi everyone, I'm kinda a newbie here although I have been familiar with these cars for some time now. I have just purchased my first super coupe. I am familiar with the cars history as I have turned wrenches on it in the past although I think since I have brought it home I live on this forum now... Anyway the car is a 89 5spd black on black leather with power moon roof.
Here's all I good I can think of
-crate engine with 38ish miles
-late model blower and plenum
-10% sc pully
-custom fmic
-manifold back exhaust
-80mm cobra maf-42lb injectors
-spec stage 3 clutch (stiff as @#!#)
-built trans ripper shifter
-3.55 posi in the rear (cherps tires like a dam spool)

Probably forgetting some stuff oh yeah lowered brand new springs shocks everything new also no more firm ride option.Here's the bad....
-teves shot
-stage 3 clutch put the pedal assembly literally through the firewall
-intercooler pipe needs buttoned up
-need cowl hood for forward exit sc top
-need tuned

For the brakes I have be lookin at a hydroboost set up.
http://powerbrakeservice.net/new-1989-1992-ford-t-bird-hydroboost-brake-booster.html
But today i can across this
http://www.fabquest.com/wilwood-super-pedal-brake-and-clutch-pedal-assembly.html
Anyone have any experience or input on this set up? I have to gut the interior and half the engine compartment to repair the firewall anyway. Also any suggestions on anything else i should lookin into or change on the car would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
How do you know the teves is shot?

It may just need a relay or a fresh accumulator...

I havent even really put much thought into repairing the system honestly. All i know about the problem at this point is that the pedal is rock hard and the brakes seem to be hangin up. Figured it would just be easy to change out the system for something simpler and more common. Im not even sure where to start with this system.

Thanks for the info i'll take a look at it to see about repairing the system. I was under the impression it was unservicable.

Yeah im kinda leaning toward the wilwood set I think. Just wish I find some more info and reviews. I like
how simple and clean the set up is also it should hopefully make the clutch a little more friendly. I think if its good enough for a legit race car it should be great in a steet car.file_36_9.jpeg

Last edited:
Actually they aren't that expensive compared to some of the other options. The amount of work and fabrication needed would maybe be more than desired for most. But like I said I will already the the car torn down to repair the firewall. I don't know how you can get any more straightforward than that this wilwwod assembly. No electronic booster no hydro booster nono vacuum boost just master cylinders. Wilwood claims the line pressure to be equal to or greater than any OEM system and great for large calipers. I just a little shocked no one has really taken this route....

Actually they aren't that expensive compared to some of the other options.

I think a fresh ABS is around $700 shipped from SpinningWheels.

Looks like a basic hydroboost w/mc is just over $600 shipped. Not sure if fittings would up that much.

Wilwood looks to be around $300 shipped, maybe. Not sure if fittings would up that much.

I think a junkyard conversion to a vacuum boosted Ford mc would be under $200?

I've seen used/good (?) ABS units go for less than $200.

- All a bit less if you can sell off your old unit.

The reason it may not seem common might be about the juncture between need, budget and willingness to convert, etc. If you do it, photos and details would help the community, I think, thanks.

I'm actually going to switch over to the 96-98 Mustang hydroboost brake system on my '94 auto.

I am looking at this option aswell on my 94. A few concerns have led me to this thread. I can find all the info I need on power steering out put flow/pressures and steering rack flow and pressure requierments. The information lacking is what the hydroboost unit requires to function properly and how much it reduces flow/pressure. Also I cant seem to find how much the EVO efects thes factors as well. If you have found any of this info I would greatly appreciate your generosity on the subject.

Sorry for the threadnapping

Last edited:
Yeah im kinda leaning toward the wilwood set I think. Just wish I find some more info and reviews. I like
how simple and clean the set up is also it should hopefully make the clutch a little more friendly. I think if its good enough for a legit race car it should be great in a steet car.View attachment 60430

I've used that setup on a 47 ford pickup project. Had problems with oring leaks and had them apart 3 times trying to get them to seal. Found out it is a common problem. Once sealed they work good. Mine are mounted under the dash, not easy to service there, and when it leaks, well you know.truck weighs 3300# with disks all around.

"Had problems with oring leaks and had them apart 3 times trying to get them to seal."

I have made some pretty good progress on this set up in my car and so far have not had any leak. I however used the solid cast aluminum master cylinders. Not the ones with the remote mount reservoirs. I will post some pics when I can get them to my computer I can't figure it out from my phone.

Back