Problem with Gauge Install

jjklongisland

OK, so I bought a cheap sunpro water temp gauge to see exactly what its doing and I cant get the probe to fit in the sending unit port. The one on the left is the sunpro and the one the right is my factory sending unit. The diameter of the sunpro is alot larger and even if it did fit the diameter it looks like it would bottom out because its so much longer? What am I doing wrong?

I was thinking about one of those but I thought the most accurate reading would be by the thermostat in the factory location.

Of course, but that probe isn't going to fit there unless you can find another adapter and start stacking (which might also move it out of the desired pocket/location risking a less than desired temp reference for what you want), but then you need room for the lead to still make a decent curve. I don't think there is a good solution with that type of gauge unless you get very creative, and then it's not worth it if you plan on going electric later, sorry.

Why not just test the volts at the ECT manually and use that as a reference until you can get an electric temp gauge installed.

Of course, but that probe isn't going to fit there unless you can find another adapter and start stacking (which might also move it out of the desired pocket/location risking a less than desired temp reference for what you want), but then you need room for the lead to still make a decent curve. I don't think there is a good solution with that type of gauge unless you get very creative, and then it's not worth it if you plan on going electric later, sorry.

Why not just test the volts at the ECT manually and use that as a reference until you can get an electric temp gauge installed.

I have an electric gauge but I was waiting until after Carlisle to install it so I can get ideas on how I want to mount them. I also wanted to monitor it while actually driving because it seams to be an intermittent problem. This car is starting to frustrate me... I guess going to the upper radiator hose will be the easiest solution.

Will it fit into the top of the vent stalk on the thermostat housing? That's where I put mine and it seems to work Ok. The threads matched right up.

Back