Still having problems....

rp27g8

I posted on here awile back regarding a "bucking" issue I have with my new-to-me 90 35th anniversary SC with the automatic. It has now developed other problems like dying and not wanting to restart, not starting - in both cases everything seems to be working and it cranks, and occasionally while driving it will quit and restart. It shuts off for a split second, the tach goes to zero and all the dash lights come on then it picks back up. Real strange. It has good fule pressure and the pump was replaced not long ago by Ford. I've checked all the electrical connectors I can find and haven't found anything. We've checked what we think is everything but obviously we are missing something. Any help will be greatly apprciated.

Probably related to the ignition switch (not the tumbler), or maybe to the DIS ignition module.

I posted on here awile back regarding a "bucking" issue I have with my new-to-me 90 35th anniversary SC with the automatic. It has now developed other problems like dying and not wanting to restart, not starting - in both cases everything seems to be working and it cranks, and occasionally while driving it will quit and restart. It shuts off for a split second, the tach goes to zero and all the dash lights come on then it picks back up. Real strange. It has good fule pressure and the pump was replaced not long ago by Ford. I've checked all the electrical connectors I can find and haven't found anything. We've checked what we think is everything but obviously we are missing something. Any help will be greatly apprciated.

Did you resolve the bucking issue ? If so what was causing it or what parts have you already replaced ?

David

I second checking the ignition switch. My 90 had similar problems with cutting out and restarting while driving. As well as not wanting to start. It would crank, but not fire up all the time. The plastic section of the ignition switch had cracked and was keeping the pins from making contact all of the time.

I second checking the ignition switch. My 90 had similar problems with cutting out and restarting while driving. As well as not wanting to start. It would crank, but not fire up all the time. The plastic section of the ignition switch had cracked and was keeping the pins from making contact all of the time.

I replaced the ignition switch after it went out and I had to start it by jumping the solenoid. When I got the cover off half of it fell out.... Car has 203k and counting as I drive it daily.

Back