Good News, Sort of regarding my fan/temp issues...

jjklongisland

OK, so I got a fitting that allowed the mechanical temp gauge to thread into the antifreeze bleeder. It turns out my factory gauge is so incorrect its not even funny. My low speed fan did kick on at around 210 and shut off at 190. I ran it a around the neighborhood and seemed to function fine. I learned a few things thanks to you guys and have also proved them:

1. Never trust your factory gauges
2. Laser temp guns are not even close to being useful when gauging the water temp of your car (my mechanical gauge was reading 190 and my laser temp gauge was reading 220)
3. Listen to the members of this forum.... They know their stuff!

Thanks guys...

Now I have to figure out why my low coolant light is on and my check engine light. It came on after redoing the head gasket so I replaced both O2 sensors and still keeps tripping once I am driving it for a few minutes...

Factory gauge and temp guns are ok for general reference, but as you found, not for pinpointing temps in your example.

The low coolant indicator can be triggered if the probe (in the overflow tank) tips are are coated with scale & gunk - take it out, don't bend it, scrape the two exposed contacts on the end so they are shiny. It also helps to have one that doesn't have a broken sheath for the internal wiring. I had one that was clean and intact and it still lit the light when it shouldn't have....replaced it and all's good now.

Run the codes to see if the check engine light has anything to say.

Glad you worked things out and thanks for the update.

Back