PDA

View Full Version : why cant I freaking find any information about the balancer pulleys??

RangerDanger88
05-05-2014, 11:21 PM
hey guys,
I have an SC engine that I put in a 88 ranger, I am getting the little stuff put together but it seems like I am missing the supercharger pulley off the harmonic balancer, and I cant find anything about it. I have been looking for weeks with nothing. im not super sure what year the engine is but I think it is a 94. any help would be awesome! thanks!!

S_Mazza
05-05-2014, 11:30 PM
It's specific to the supercharged 3.8 used in Thunderbird SCs from 1989 to 1995 and in the Cougar XR7 from 1989 to 1990. The only ways to get one are from a parted out car, or as part of this assembly sold by Dorman for the earlier cars.
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-32634-594-208.aspx?make=Ford&model=Thunderbird&parttype=Harmonic%20Balancer

The Dorman pulley should work for the later (94-95) cars, but the crankshaft sensor ring on the damper isn't the same. So you would have to swap the pulley to your damper. I am ASSUMING that all the fastener holes should line up, but I don't know that for a fact.

I guess you could also modify the Dorman damper to take the sensor ring from your damper, but that would require removing the current one from the car. Could get messy.