cam sensor and timing

jdsgallops

On the short drive I took the t bird on the timing seems to be off. As I try to fine tune and get rid of the small issues I am curious how timing is affected, if at all, by the cam sensor not being installed in the exact spot it is suppose to be, a few degrees off either way. If this does affect it how is base timing mechanically adjusted?

On the short drive I took the t bird on the timing seems to be off. As I try to fine tune and get rid of the small issues I am curious how timing is affected, if at all, by the cam sensor not being installed in the exact spot it is suppose to be, a few degrees off either way. If this does affect it how is base timing mechanically adjusted?
Here is a pic of the sensor in time @ 26 deg atdc

Attachments

• cam sensor.jpg
    cam sensor.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 802
Last edited:
I have that part correct Dave except that I couldn't get the mark on the balancer exactly even with the pointer when I installed the sensor. So I am really inquiring as to how the computer figures out when to fire the plug and if the cam sensor has anything to do with that. Does cam sensor only determine which cylinder it is on and the crank sensor the timing of the fire? Etc......

DISTimingDiagram.gif

As for not being able to line things up...there may be some cases where the balancer shifts index on itself, leading to a misleading timing reference. In that case, confirm TDC cylinder 1 basics to check.

Tdc was verified when the engine was reassembled. By the looks of your chart the crank sensor tells when to fire. Cam sensor is just phasing?

Cam sensor provides 'CID' - Cylinder IDentification / cam phase, for the DIS. Note the EEC will pull from internal lookup values if it thinks the live signal can't be trusted, etc.

DISBlockDiagram.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen these cars run with the Cam sensor being 180* out of whack...as long as its close to the photo posted by David, I don't for see you having too much of an issue with performance.

-Tim

I've seen these cars run with the Cam sensor being 180* out of whack...as long as its close to the photo posted by David, I don't for see you having too much of an issue with performance.

-Tim

Being waste spark being 180° out on the Cam Sensor is not a huge deal--I wouldn't suggest it. I would think as long as your less than 10° out should be ok (but you should be able see less than 5° out).

I get mine to tdc then go to the 26° atdc mark and check the cam sensor to ensure that it is centered in that channel with a razor blade, cap it and done.

Back