PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler Fan ??

JT's03
05-10-2014, 11:51 AM
I know I've read here some are running ic fans. Do they work in cooling the air intake temps? My intercooler is not fully exposed due to the front bumper cover so I'm thinking if I can get more air over the core it could help my situation.

Toms-SC
05-10-2014, 02:08 PM
Way back in the day I did some data logging to see just how IC fan's help. During the WOT pulls they didn't do much but when sitting at the stop light they helped remove the heat soak. Definitely a worth while mod for the street light warriors or anybody attempting to conduct tuning on a dyno.

JT's03
05-10-2014, 05:21 PM
I'm only looking to drop act 15-20*. I may give it a shot, I've got an extra fan sitting here.

KMT
05-10-2014, 05:39 PM
I run a narrow A/C condenser, stock IC and a 7" IC puller fan with air temp in/out sensors. The fan pulls temps down when slow going...at least 15 in my case - Depending on ambient temp, I see drops as much as 40. I had a plan to add an 8" pusher fan, but I've yet to see outlets temps spike over 105 so that mod is pending.

I think they are a good low cost, hi-value asset, that is best taken advantage of if you run it all the time - don't wait for temps to have already climbed. Tip: remove the IC from the car and wash it out with gasoline to clean out any built up oil that is common in the intake tract on these cars. This gives you a chance to install the fan a bit easier as well.

siliconeintakes.com sells a good 7" IC fan for $25 and Victor~http://spinningwheels-sc.com/ gets $65 for a high cfm 8".

JT's03
05-10-2014, 06:21 PM
I believe a big issue I'm having is my turbo is pulling air from the engine bay and may be heat soaking my intercooler by the time I'm in the staging lanes. With ambient temps at 70* my lowest act was 90*. At the end of the 8th mile there was an increase of 40* with 16psi. I'm also devising a cold air intake that may help with temps and keeping things cool. If this doesn't work I may be buying a 4 core or power stroke unit. My old procharger 2 core was more efficient than this cx racing 3 core I'm using.

KMT
05-10-2014, 06:33 PM
A Snow kit might help....but nothing beats a more efficient IC. Just don't go nuts and make it too big. In the mean time, see what your fan can do for things.