Plug condition

bowez

What do yall think is it shot? #6 plug

Car wouldn't re-start after I got home today, killed the battery and started the with no fuss when I jumped it.

Last edited:
From this angle think it looks normal other than a wide looking gap. How many miles ? Why do you ask?

Load test the battery? Does it seem that the starter motor is dragging? Maybe the battery is weak enough to not pump up fuel pressure or the fuel pump is weak. Just some guesses, my car will spin over 3-5 times before firing if the battery is a bit low.

Well I changed the all and all for worn but in similar shape.

Though this has snowballed into much more now. Stater solenoid was loose only the bellhousing kept the bolts in place and the wire kept the solenoid in place. Threw serpentine belt and notice loose ground-to-block cable; had battery and Alternator tested and alternator rebuilt.

Hope all this fixes the starting issue.

Had what sounds like a similar hard start issue with my 90 XR7. It cranked slow from the time I brought it back to life after sitting in a "field" type used car lot for years. It would sometimes "kick back" when cranking, as if it had way too much timing in it. When I pulled it out this spring, I went thru 2 batteries that tested "good" but would not start it. Die hard 900 CCA finally did it, so I thought. About a week later it started rough one afternoon, then the next time I got in it would only idle, and REALLY rough, died as soon as I dropped it in gear. When I looked at the belts they were jumping around like mad when idling. Turned out to be the death throws of the stock harmonic balancer:mad: Snapped off flush with the front cover :eek: Luckily (I guess) I was aware of the habit of these cars doing this and had read about others repairs on the boards. Replaced it with a used BHJ I had for another project, and the car cranks much easier, and has never "kicked back" since.:rolleyes:

The point of all that is you should take a good look at your balancer to make sure it's OK, and this is not the first symptoms of it letting go.

Adam

Back