PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth moving into the garage?

91bird
05-12-2014, 12:01 PM
1989, black 48,000 original k's. Original owner 5 speed, rust free in mint shape. Grey cloth interior, sunroof. I actually like the grey cloth. Been garaged for 15 years. Driven around the block once a year.
I have known about this car for 10 years and it had 48,000k when he showed me back then. Owner has finally decided to sell it, real question is do I put it beside my white 90? I just cleaned out that space when I sold my truck. Also how do you hide another SC from the better half????

Drew

KMT
05-12-2014, 12:09 PM
How much...?

91bird
05-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Haven't worked it all out yet but its reasonable anyway. What would be a decent price? I know that i felt like I stole my 90, with 68,000k and it is an auto.
so this car has 29,000 miles. Like new.

Drew

Peterdroy66
05-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Drew, it's our sickness!
No matter how good a one we have, always seem to need another tucked away!
My 92' is great, but driving mostly in the city my left knee would just assume I got an AOD!

Pete

Haven't worked it all out yet but its reasonable anyway. What would be a decent price? I know that i felt like I stole my 90, with 68,000k and it is an auto.
so this car has 29,000 miles. Like new.

Drew

XR7 Dave
05-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Well, then you won't feel so bad modifying the 90. ;) That actually is a bit of a significant upside. Then you can drive the 90 more and not feel bad about putting miles on it. Keep the 89 for posterity.

91bird
05-13-2014, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the reply's guys.
Funny thing Dave, I would do the work to the new car and leave my 90 as is. But I think the guy wants a little too much for this car.
crappy thing is that if I dont grab it there are a few other guys lined up behind me that want it for a daily driver and have no clue about the car at all. It will get trashed.
So I'm struggling with dropping the $$$ or walking and watch it get ruined.
hmmm

KMT
05-13-2014, 03:18 PM
But I think the guy wants a little too much for this car.

And that would be what?

91bird
05-14-2014, 09:02 AM
The car look slike the twin to the XR7 for sale in the cars section. But less miles and cheaper too.
Drew

Ryan A Harris
05-14-2014, 12:41 PM
In the long run which of the 2 SC's would be worth more? The 89 was first year, plus its stick. Your 90 was the year that Ford made the most SC, and its auto. Which one would carry more value?

I won't own 2 Sc's at the same time again. But I have for owned 2 or more at one for over a decade now, so.......:rolleyes:

If you have the room, & cash, and your wife is on side, then yeah jump on it. Heck, maybe you pass it up & one of those other guys buys it. In less than 3 months something will break on them. Thats your chance to swoop in and buy it cheaper.......

As you can tell, you have lots of options, but time wise, would you have time to enjoy this 89 in any way? your '90, fishing, running, being a dad, work.......lots of things get to divide our time into, would this 89 receive any of that time?

Srcew it, buy it!!!!:D

91bird
05-15-2014, 03:47 PM
All good points Ryan, thanks fo rth input.
Here are some pics of the car, needs a good wash and cleaning. A few hrs with a clay bar some engine cleaner, wax and buffer and this car would be popping.
The car was orginally from Montreal and the guy moved here in 2000, car has not been driven since he moved here. Basically sat in the garage the whole time.
The original rims are gone, left them in Montreal and there are a few scratches, but 100% no rust and interior is mint too. He has owned the car since new.
Drew

91bird
05-15-2014, 03:50 PM
few more,

Drew

Peterdroy66
05-17-2014, 01:27 PM
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/mississauga-peel-region/1990-ford-thunderbird-coupe/591975431?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

If this is as it appears, and seams reasonable that it is, looks very nice in the category of a few a year that are this good.

Personally I would ditch the add-ons, looks pretty clean.

Pete

HoseHead
05-22-2014, 01:45 PM
I have Qty 4 '90 OEM rims and caps in 9/10 or better condition if needed.
Virtually new Dunlops too, if I recall.

Buy it, ya chicken. Dare ya. Clutch cars rule.
You need a reason for a bigger garage anyway. :eek: :eek::eek:

Bruce

arizona90
05-22-2014, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE=HoseHead;1066614]I have Qty 4 '90 OEM rims and caps in 9/10 or better condition if needed.
Virtually new Dunlops too, if I recall.

Buy it, ya chicken. Dare ya. Clutch cars rule.
You need a reason for a bigger garage anyway. :eek: :eek::eek:

Bruce[/QUOTE

What are you asking for the wheels and tires? And where are you located? Should have asked that first. Now that I have both an 89 cougar 5 speed and a 90 TBird 5 speed, I'd like to have more round bits to swap about. Marty

91bird
05-27-2014, 12:36 PM
Guys,
I have decided to pass on this car. Just cant do two again rigth now. If ya want it send me a pm and i can give you all the info.
He is asking 5,500$ this car is super clean and in great shape. Hard to pass on such a low miler but eh. what can ya do.

Drew

black V8
06-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Hi Drew, can you pm me any more info you have on this car.
Thanks Tom

351tt
06-09-2014, 12:57 AM
Drew.. can you send some info on this car, or have you already passed it on to Tom or others .. if it is still available . let me know the info , thanks.
Dave.

Guys,
I have decided to pass on this car. Just cant do two again rigth now. If ya want it send me a pm and i can give you all the info.
He is asking 5,500$ this car is super clean and in great shape. Hard to pass on such a low miler but eh. what can ya do.

Drew

91bird
06-09-2014, 11:15 AM
PM's replied.

Drew

black V8
06-11-2014, 08:59 AM
Uuuuummmm! So seriously Drew, what's the deal with this car? After you bowed out and offered up the info to other interested parties I pm'd you to get contact info, radio silence for about a week. I then tag onto the end of this post asking for the info which moves it to the top of the page. You're on the site daily as your profile shows even responding to other posts but ignoring my polite request. More radio silence. 351tt eventually asks about it and you post "pms replied to". You pm us both that it's a nice car and to pm you back if we want the contact info. Whaaa? Again I pm you saying yes contact info and again your on the site daily but again radio silence. Hell, I do all my computing on a smart phone and I can see when I have a pm.
I can understand if you were still on the fence about it, but then don't post you will send along info to interested parties. Or maybe you're stalling for another member.Hell I dunno 'cause you won't communicate.
All I gotta say is really bad form dude.
If someone buys this I hope it treats you well. Looks like a real nice ride.
Cheerio

91bird
06-11-2014, 10:44 AM
Easy now,
Like I said as far as I know its still for sale. I sent the guy a message asking if I can pass his number and he hasnt returned my message.
When he does I will pass it along. I have no plans to buy it or I would not have mentioned it.
Geeze.

black V8
06-11-2014, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the reply Drew. Comunication clears everything up.
Thanks Tom

351tt
06-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Drew.
How about an address in pm to Tom or me or ?.. so at least someone can go over and knock on his door, if the car is sitting outside one can ask if its for sale .. I have done this many times in the past ... some were , some where not , but it was never a problem because I asked.
If its verfied that it is not for sale, we all can look elsewhere.
Thanks .
Dave.

Easy now,
Like I said as far as I know its still for sale. I sent the guy a message asking if I can pass his number and he hasnt returned my message.
When he does I will pass it along. I have no plans to buy it or I would not have mentioned it.
Geeze.

91bird
06-12-2014, 10:20 PM
Sorry for the delay guys, I have not seen him at work here for a little while as I have not been in the same area as him. As soon as I get in touch with him I will update you through PM.

Drew

black V8
06-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Well I took the plunge on this car today. It was everything Drew said it was and the seller is a good guy. Don't pick it up till later in the week.
Needs tires, the ones on it have lots of tread but as they are ten years old are showing some cracking, not on the sidewall but on the outer tread. 255 50zr 16 Dunlops.
I've done a search and 245 55 16 seems to be a good size but does anyone know of a local(gta) retailer who sells that size? Any other suggestions on wheel/tire combos. I was into a shop in my neck of the woods that had a decent set of 18" rims with Falken tires but online there wasn't much enthusiasm for the Falkens. I also think maybe stick with 16" for now as my pocket is a whole lot lighter than it was yesterday.
As far as tires go, this is going to stay a Summer driver and I do plan on driving it in a spirited manner every now and then so I don't want something that is going to feel like it's gonna roll under pushing into a corner. This aint gonna be a race car but I want it to feel responsive. Also don't want to break the bank either.
I dunno, what do you guys got,how do you like them and where did ya get them. Alot of the tire threads I saw were a few years old.

And thank you to Drew, I appreciate your help on this.

Any and all opinions welcomed.

Cheers Tom

91bird
06-22-2014, 12:34 AM
Glad it worked out Tom and that I could help get this car to an enthusiast. If I was buying it I would look for a nice set of stock rims/tires and put them on. Maybe lowere the car and that would be it.
Car is nice as is.

Drew

HoseHead
06-23-2014, 06:42 AM
Tom,
As mentioned earlier in this thread, I have a set of cherry clean '90 stockers with nearly new BF Goodrich 255 50zr 16 - see link.

http://kerek.ca/Super%20Coupes/Wheels%20and%20Tires/Wheels.htm

These are ready to go. I rolled them for part of a season. Excellent tires.

Advise if interested. They are in Trenton.
Delivery to east end of GTA may be possible.
Or drive up, bolt them on a enjoy the ride home.

Bruce

black V8
06-23-2014, 12:24 PM
Hi Bruce,
Pm me the particulars. Which BFGs are they?
Thanks Tom

HoseHead
06-23-2014, 04:58 PM
I believe they are these - http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/BFGoodrich/g-Force+Sport+COMP-2

I'll check to confirm on the weekend.

I'll PM a figure.

Bruce

HoseHead
06-23-2014, 05:05 PM
Tom,
Your mailbox is full.

I gotta get $XXX.

Rims are mint with caps.
Tires are virtually new, mounted and balanced.

Can't beat that deal. Tires alone would be $800 or more with taxes before mount/balance.
In essence, you buy 4 tires and get them installed on four excellent rims and caps for free.

Bruce

black V8
06-23-2014, 05:49 PM
Hi Bruce,

Pm box is cleared.

HoseHead
06-24-2014, 12:34 PM
Tom,
Yoogotta PM.

Bruce

Les Borda
07-03-2014, 11:49 PM
Curious are those Cougar rims on that bird or is my eye sight getting worse. Not a SINGLE comment from those that know me :D

91bird
07-04-2014, 12:27 AM
The rims are 16" momo's I believe.
Drew

HoseHead
07-08-2014, 10:05 AM
XR7 Cougar pieces are 7 spoke - those are 6.
The design is very close though.

Bruce

black V8
07-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Those are indeed Momo rims, though I have replaced them with stock SC rims and new BFG Sport Comp 2s. Car was just safetied and etested today. Etest went smooth, had to get some work done on the steering column as on of the tilt steering pivot pins was sheared! Never seen that one before, thankfully I had an extra steering wheel and column in my parts collection (thanks Dave) as Ford no longer makes them and I was told at my local dealer thier mechanics would have no idea how to change them. ~~~? Thankfully my local Master Mechanic persevered and figured it out with the help of a tool to remove them that one of the old timers had around from working on GMs and had not used in years. I guess it was a real ~~~~. Now she's right as rain and only thing I plan on doing is installing my ripper shifter after driving it for awhile stock. I'll try to get out to a meet this Summer to let you guys have a look.
Cheers Tom

shoalcracker
07-09-2014, 10:36 PM
Congrats Tom

Sounds like a keeper.

Are they still doing the appraisal thing.

Paul

black V8
07-11-2014, 11:05 AM
Thanks Paul, yah they made me supply an appraisal. I think they said anything over 20 yrs. Bloody stupid, I found a friendly to do it for me and will probably have it re appraised later. Might put the ripper in this weekend if I have time, I dont think there is much involved.
Cheers Tom

black V8
07-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Installed my Ripper Shifter yesterday and gotta say I love it, stock one only had 50,000 kms but was sloppy in comparison to this. Now just to install th new plugs in the driver side window and all will be right with the world. Drives like a new car, loving it.
Cheers Tom