Check engine light codes are any of them serious??? help?

Vinny702

Hey guys so I'm not super mechanically inclined so I'm not sure about the codes that I read off my SC yesterday...

My main question is
Are any of these must fix scenarios?
If you guys could explain what exactly thesee codes mean in more understanding terms I'd appreciate it.

Also I should add that go some reason my CEL will go off and on. Sometimes it comes on after driving 10 mins then stays on until I turn the car off.
Other times it'll turn on for 4 mins or so and turn back off on the same trip. Also it's never on when I first start up the car. And sometimes it goes days without ever coming on.

Here are the codes thanks to anyone that replies with helo!

Engine off
335.~ EGR feedback signal is/was out of range – EVR or PFE

332.~ EGR did not open/respond during test or if memory code, did not open intermittantly – EVR or PFE

214.~~~ Error in Cylinder ID (CID) circuit or signal – Ignition Systems

Engine running

326.~ Pressure Feedback EGR shows low pressure EGR not seating or not seating intermittantly – PFE

538.~~ System did not receive "goose" test – TESTS

536.~~~ Brake On Off open or shorted to ground – BOO

632.~~~~~ E4OD – Transmission Control Switch (TCS) should be cycled once between engine ID and~ Goose test

Not sure about the others, but "214.~~~ Error in Cylinder ID (CID) circuit or signal – Ignition Systems" is typically caused by a bad cam position sensor.

David

Some of those seem to indicate tests weren't performed correctly. Be sure to have the engine fully warmed up, follow the testing process exactly and when it say to goose it, don't be shy.

And while some results can indicate minor issues others can be major, especially depending on why you're testing and what they can point to collectively, no results from proper code reading should be ignored.

I'd say the EGR system is begging for attention. Issues there may be influencing other results. What checks to it have you made so far? Did you clear stored codes and restest? Have you done any work to the car lately?

To add to KMT's post - Be sure to goose it when the test says to goose it. If you didn't, that's probably why the goose tests failed.

For the EGR - that can be something as simple as the tube is plugged and/or the EGR feedback sensor is dying. I'd worry about them. In the mean time, no or low EGR will primarily cause lowered fuel economy at cruise.

RwP

To add to KMT's post - Be sure to goose it when the test says to goose it. If you didn't, that's probably why the goose tests failed.
Be aware then when the goose test fails, the result may be a honking noise coming from under the hood.. ;)

One code might trip a few others in the process.
On my Snap-On scanner it will read all the codes stored and give you a list of what to fix first.
This is why I say that 1 code might trip others as well.

Okay thank you all for the responses.. now for an embarrassing question.
Where the hell is the EGR located on this car? Is it hidden behind the throttle body?
Will i have to remove the throttle body to access it?

I'm a noob guys i know but I love this car and I want to learn about it as I fix things.

Btw what about the brake ground? What does that mean?

Code 214 was what I was worried about? Can't seem to find any info on it though =[

See this list for codes that are a bit more SC-specific: http://www.njtacc.com/tech/eec_codes.html

214 C Distributorless Ignition System (DIS) cylinder identification circuit failure

Search the forums here for both 'code 214' and 'cam sensor'. Might be wiring too, including grounds.

The EGR hardware is top of the engine/near the back of the passenger side head - the tube goes down to the pass. side exhaust manifold and not easy to get to.
engine pic 2.JPG

Last edited:
Back