what is the size of stock exhaust pipes?

bigcletus94

I am thinking about getting my stock exhaust system replaced real soon. What is the size of stock exhaust pipes?

From all of the info I have gathered, this seems to be my best option: custom made downpipes into high flow cats, 2.25" piping into magnaflow res, 3" pipe out that splits into 2.25" pipes that go to dynomax mufflers. Does this sound good?

I am looking for a setup that has a nice growl to it and better flowing than stock but isn't overwhelmingly loud and obnoxious. My 93' Cobra has stock exhaust and even that is a little louder than I would like my SC's exhaust to be. Not that I don't like the exhaust on the Cobra, its just that on the freeway it seems to be pretty loud inside the car....the SC is quiet however.

I also don't want to loose any/much low end torque that a lot of others have complained about. It seems at least from what I have read, others loose torque with a 2.5" to 3" to 2.5" setup. Does this sound like a good improvement over stock going with 2.25" 3" 2.25" pipes? Any suggestions are appreciated!

xhaust

I have that setup xcept I have a 2 1/2 midpipe.I think most agree this muffler combo produces the most agreeable tone and volume.At first it makes no sound then after a few miles it's just right.Some think my midpipe is too small but I think alot loose torque as you mentioned.I dynoed 260hp and 348lb/ft at the rear wheels so I must not be too restricted.

That's pretty close to what I have except I have Borla resonator and mufflers. I love the Borla growl.

Jon

Small!

Mine was 1 7/8 dia in many areas when I had it removed a few years back.

Right behind the stock resonator is a bad crimp.

Puzzled

Though I do not know the answer to your question...

Which was (correct me if I am wrong) What is the Size of the Stock exhaust System...

And you wanted to know because you seemed to want to keep your bird stock.. as you have the mustang to mod out.. but then in the middle of your question.. you are asking what is the best modified exhaust system to go with...

So are you asking what is the best modified system that will fit your car...

Or are you asking what is the Size of the Stock system so you can put that back on your car?..

I was just puzzled by your post is all..

Re: Puzzled

XR7 said:
Though I do not know the answer to your question...

Which was (correct me if I am wrong) What is the Size of the Stock exhaust System...

And you wanted to know because you seemed to want to keep your bird stock.. as you have the mustang to mod out.. but then in the middle of your question.. you are asking what is the best modified exhaust system to go with...

So are you asking what is the best modified system that will fit your car...

Or are you asking what is the Size of the Stock system so you can put that back on your car?..

I was just puzzled by your post is all..

Sorry my post didn't come accross very clearly. I was mainly asking what the stock exhaust size of an SC was because I am gettting a new setup consisting of 2.25" and 3" piping for the car. I just wanted to know if the new exhaust size I am getting is significantly bigger than the stock.

Also, the SC has been a project car for the last year or so and now that it is in good running condition, I am begining to finally modify it! It is also my daily driver.

I am leaving the Cobra stock for the time being.

Borla Resonator

jonroe said:
That's pretty close to what I have except I have Borla resonator and mufflers. I love the Borla growl.

Jon

Jon:
Which Borla Resonator did you use? I found one in the XL line & one in the
XS line.. and what 's the length did you go with.

I have a Magnaflow right now , would you know if the Borla is better?

I would appreciate your input.

Joe

Stock is 2".

2-1/4" gives you a cross section area which is about 26% larger.

Last edited:
JOE91SC said:
Jon:
Which Borla Resonator did you use? I found one in the XL line & one in the
XS line.. and what 's the length did you go with.

I have a Magnaflow right now , would you know if the Borla is better?

I would appreciate your input.

Joe

Joe,

Sorry, I've been on vacation laying on the beach!

I don't know the number of the resonator as I got it as part of the Borla cat-back kit #14415. I don't think they list this kit anymore for the TBird. Mybe someone else knows the number of the resonator.

I wouldn't know if the Borla is better - it's subjective and I haven't used Magnaflow. I'm very happy with the Borla, though.

Jon

Back