PDA

View Full Version : Abs pump removal?

shocar4
05-13-2014, 09:02 PM
Ok so I'm pretty sure my abs pump is needing rebuilt, so I'm gonna pull it.....I've been reading that some just pull the entire master cylinder....any tips and advice on best practice is extremely appreciated

1994blkbirdsc
05-15-2014, 05:38 AM
Ok so I'm pretty sure my abs pump is needing rebuilt, so I'm gonna pull it.....I've been reading that some just pull the entire master cylinder....any tips and advice on best practice is extremely appreciated

Best advice I could give you is:
1. remove as many parts in front of the abs unit as needed to gain clearance.
2. note how the safety switches are attached from the brake peddle to the abs unit shaft.
3. PB Blast the brake lines at the unit, and let them soak !!! They tend to twist and kink apon removal.

Besides the wires there are only 4 bolts holding this unit in, they are a pain to get to.
For me I would yank the drivers seat out to make room.
Good luck.

KMT
05-15-2014, 11:12 AM
I'd add that removing the plastic cowling below the windshield can help add room to work. Use the right sized tubing wrenches on the brake fittings. As mentioned, they can be tough to remove. Don't forget to decouple the push rod from the pedal - do that first thing so you don't have to mess with it when the unit is hanging in the firewall.

Study photos like this if you need a better idea of what comes out. And try not to get any brake fluid on the paint, of course and good luck.