Suspension

Ira R.

I have had enough of the lousy shocks available to us, and I am tired of waiting for Tokiko to get their act together. I can't stand it anymore! I don't want to hear about KYB or Tokiko Blue or Green or Red or any other supposed stock replacement shock. What I want is a shock that works. A shock that is firm and that will give me my nice firm ride and handling ability back. It doesn't even have to be adjustable, although that would be best of course. But I'm tired of the car floating like a boat!

I have gone back through the threads and found some interesting information and opinions but nothing that I feel is current enough that I want to make a decision based on. So I am asking what the rest of you are using. All reasonable suggestions requested. Keep in mind this car does not go to the track and although it is a daily driver it does have some oomph. So handling is important as well as the overall ride.

So, comments, thoughts, opinions, suggestions...??

Ira

I have had enough of the lousy shocks available to us, and I am tired of waiting for Tokiko to get their act together. I can't stand it anymore! I don't want to hear about KYB or Tokiko Blue or Green or Red or any other supposed stock replacement shock. What I want is a shock that works. A shock that is firm and that will give me my nice firm ride and handling ability back. It doesn't even have to be adjustable, although that would be best of course. But I'm tired of the car floating like a boat!

I have gone back through the threads and found some interesting information and opinions but nothing that I feel is current enough that I want to make a decision based on. So I am asking what the rest of you are using. All reasonable suggestions requested. Keep in mind this car does not go to the track and although it is a daily driver it does have some oomph. So handling is important as well as the overall ride.

So, comments, thoughts, opinions, suggestions...??

Ira

I think your options are
1) Wait for Tokico, and
2) Fabricate your own. If you do make your own, you will need maximum adjustability. You could get the top level QA1 Proma Star double adjustables. Figure in the cost of the shocks, plus the cost of making the adapters, and you may be able to get them for under $400 ... per shock.

I think your options are
1) Wait for Tokico, and
2) Fabricate your own. If you do make your own, you will need maximum adjustability. You could get the top level QA1 Proma Star double adjustables. Figure in the cost of the shocks, plus the cost of making the adapters, and you may be able to get them for under $400 ... per shock.

Bingo. Your stuck sourcing a set of Tokico Illumina II's or Blues, fabbing your own, or picking up a set of coilovers from Bill. There simply isn't another firm shock option on the market currently.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=145139

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=140125

https://supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?partId=954

Ira what springs you got installed.
eibach, h&;R or Vogtlands?

While the stock shocks and tokicos are not the stiffest in the market, they work fine on linear springs and the stock springs.

If you were to ride on my Discontinued intrax springs or my old Suspension Techniques springs you would not feel float.

My cut stock springs in the Annie are better at controlling float than when I had eibachs back in the day.

Getting stiffer shocks is just cover up on a loose set of the tight coils on aftermarket progressive springs.

Last edited:
Good post Ira. I am having the same conundrum. I do not have the knowledge of making my own set of shocks etc. My 114k 25 year old stockers are in dire need of upgrading. I would also love to hear what "off the shelf" units people have been using recently and their thoughts.

I would also love to hear what "off the shelf" units people have been using recently and their thoughts.

What other "off the shelf" units? The KYB GR2's and Monroe Sensa-Trac's? Soft and softer.

The Tokicos are coming back into the sales stream. Check on Facebook and you'll see that people are already receiving new Illumina II's.

I'm with Rod. I think Bill's coilovers are the best bet at this point.

Although if you can find some used Konis or Bilsteins you should be able to get them rebuilt/revalved.

I'm with Rod. I think Bill's coilovers are the best bet at this point.

Although if you can find some used Konis or Bilsteins you should be able to get them rebuilt/revalved.

Wow. Those coilovers are waaay expensive. I'm not saying they aren't worth it but wow.

So I should just suck it up and wait for the OEM Tokikos to show up? Maybe try a new set of springs in the meantime? I hate to simply throw a set of stock springs in the car - it will kill the ride height.

Ira

springs/shocks

Wow. Those coilovers are waaay expensive. I'm not saying they aren't worth it but wow.

So I should just suck it up and wait for the OEM Tokikos to show up? Maybe try a new set of springs in the meantime? I hate to simply throw a set of stock springs in the car - it will kill the ride height.

Ira

hey ira tony here I changed my rear springs(moog) bc my 93 was sagging.i don't want to lower my car bc of tooo many pot holes, plus I drive into the Bronx where u know the roads are not the best.im parting out my 90 cougar xr7 so I took out the factory rear shocks hopeing they ere a lil better. im thinking of getting a set of the kyb g2 and see if......1 it will lift the rear up, 2 I need new shocks. I bought a used pair of tokikos,but they didn't last long at all .after talking to u a few weeks ago ive been thinking on that long drive and my car has devolved a (light blueish )smoke coming out of the tail pipes. I have a slight miss in no1 cyl misfire.......oil on my spark plug. I don't wanna break down and get stuck in pa.:confused:

Back