ARP studs or bolts?

dakotaflstf

What is the difference between studs or bolts other than the way they work. I'm looking for a difference in reliability or strength. Is there a major difference?

Jasper is rebuilding G/N's engines with ARP BOLTS because of it's high performance. I would think if it's good enough for G/N, it's good enough for an S/C engine.

Probably many factors involved in Jasper's decision. Could be cost and speed of assembly as two factors. I would not make direct comparisons between the GN's needs (iron heads) and the SC needs (aluminum heads).

In general, studs allow for more accurate torque readings since you are not incurring the additional drag of the bolt through the head. Studs can also allow for more thread engagement in the block, since they can be bottomed out in the hole.

Real advantage in studs comes through their ability to be reused multiple times where most common head bolts for the SC are torque to yield and can only be used once.

But for a basically stock or mildly warmed up SC rebuild, I don't really see the studs as making a huge difference over the bolts. In a high performance rebuild I believe they are a wise investment. Trouble is always finding out when you cross the line from mild to wild! LOL

Back