PDA

View Full Version : And the fun ends abruptly....

onequiksc
05-24-2014, 12:35 PM
Well, my new wheels/tires gave me a few weeks of enjoying driving the car again, until yesterday that is...

Very weird confluence of events that seem initially unrelated but ...who the hell knows.

Drove it a couple miles up to McDonalds for an iced coffee yesterday morning, started ok, but I noted a strain on the starter, like it didn't have enough oommphh, or the bendix was sticking briefly...drove out the development ok, but when I pulled onto the main road I noticed a pre ignition rattle when I gassed it even moderately...

Got my coffee and started home, and 1/2 way pulling up to a red light I noticed a miss...was shaking slightly, thought it might stall but didn't, got it home and popped the hood.

Looking at the crank pulley etc. because that was the last thing done on the car, it has a new BHJ on it , maybe 1500 miles....

Everything up front looked good, no wobbles, crank bolt present, then I notice smoke coming from under the driver's side firewall, under the master cylinder. Turn car off. Flashlight reveals oil all over the place, on the top of the valve cover and down that side of the engine...hmmm. Jack it up, look under, can't find a hose loose or crack in anything. Start it up, and immediately I see oil spraying out of a small hole in the dipstick tube, about 6 inches down. Well, The tube lost the tack welded strap a decade ago, but I never secured it better and didn't pose an issue, till yesterday of course.

So hey, I'm thinking "maybe caused a vacuum leak/ miss"...I get some lacquer thinner and clean the tube, some JBWeld quick, and go do my lawn work. Couple hours later, put the dipstick back in the tube , secure the tube temporarily, and start the car. Problem solved.

Well, 1 problem solved.

I take it for a spin and the pre-ignition is still there, and now I've got gray smoke (not steam) coming out the tailpipes. Turn it off, check oil...looks clean and good. Check the rad, coolant is full and looks ok.

Start it again and the starter strains a bit and starts it ok, but it's missing and more smoke.

get my GF to follow me up to the shop to drop it off, and the smoke is bad at times, she said it smelled like oil/ petrol.

Spoke to Bryan this morning and his knee-jerk was that it was a timing issue, even down to the starter part of it since a pre-ignition condition is causing the car to fire before it actually normally would.

The good; The tech at the local shop is an old Ford ASE guy that was working at the dealership level when SC s were made, and he's worked on my car untold times, so he knows it well.

Ideas and comment welcome. I've never seen anything quite like this before. Day before, It was running perfectly, and i wasn't beating on it...What really has me nuts is the dipstick tube issue, what are the chances of these things all happening at once and not being related
?

T-Bird SCs=Never a dull moment...

KMT
05-24-2014, 12:41 PM
Maybe holed a piston, busted cam, cracked head. Sure hope it's not that serious tho.

kamakazie_1
05-24-2014, 05:27 PM
Don't like to hear this Dan, what all got coated with oil over there from the leak, possible connection issue with the oil residual there?? Trying to think what's back there on the drivers side on the early models.. Bryan knows every inch of his, he would have the best guess on that..

RJ

onequiksc
05-24-2014, 06:10 PM
Well, I know it pretty well too RJ, I did the headgaskets a few years back, and I can't think of anything back there that would precipitate the other bad issues via an oil film...the outer side of the oxygen sensor on that side shouldn't be affected since the working part is inside the exhaust...

I honestly have a bad feeling, I guess I'm preparing myself for the worst, but I want to think there's a chance I have a bad injector or such...hell, even what KMT said, a cam I could live with....just not a piston or bottom end deal breaker...I can't imagine the oil spray somehow getting past an injector o ring and fouling a cylinder, as I've never heard that before. If it was possible one of the O ring seals went bad I would have had a bad vacuum leak way earlier I would think. car has been running awesome till this.

With Memorial Day on Monday, I won't hear anything until Tuesday at the earliest.

XR7 Dave
05-24-2014, 08:54 PM
It's possible that when the head gaskets went a connecting rod was bent. This puts a side load on the piston and eventually it will fail. Not saying that is what happened, but it's a worst case scenario that fits your description pretty well.

kamakazie_1
05-24-2014, 09:11 PM
Bright side Dan, at least ya got a good spare if it is bad news..

RJ

onequiksc
05-24-2014, 10:40 PM
Appreciate the info Dave,

....yeah RJ, I may need to hold onto Adam's car for the time being...Hope it doesn't come to that...

SuperChicken89
05-27-2014, 10:09 AM
Dan really sorry to hear you have SC problems again. Let us know what the AutoWorks diagnosis is when you hear from them?

As I mentioned Saturday, I have the engine hoist if it comes down to that. We could pull the engine out of the 93 in a day, replace head gaskets for safe measure, and install in the 89 a day or two later. All worth it in my opinion.

Whatever you need just let me know.

Bryan

onequiksc
05-27-2014, 11:38 AM
Bry, to say I appreciate the support is an understatement...without your offers of assistance I would have to re-think such situations and maybe let the car go...You are probably the glue that keeps this club together, no wait, not probably, you ARE.

Right now I'm hoping I hear something today, at least by Thursday at the latest i should know more. They were slammed up when I dropped it off and the holiday weekend exacerbated that, but I should have a plan of action by week's end.

BTW, I know you mentioned doing the H/Gs on Adam's engine, but...do you really think that would be necessary? Andrew said that motor was completely rebuilt and had about 500 miles on it when we picked it up...

The few times I started it and ran it it was quiet and ran well FWIW...

P.S. Miss the car already, I was having such a good time just driving it around town...

SuperChicken89
05-27-2014, 01:28 PM
BTW, I know you mentioned doing the H/Gs on Adam's engine, but...do you really think that would be necessary? Andrew said that motor was completely rebuilt and had about 500 miles on it when we picked it up...

The few times I started it and ran it it was quiet and ran well FWIW...

It should be good then. I would check to be sure whoever rebuilt the motor used ARP head studs.

Bryan

onequiksc
05-27-2014, 02:07 PM
I PM ed him on Facebook, and asked him if he had any info on that.

Will let you know...

onequiksc
05-27-2014, 03:20 PM
He wasn't sure, but said he'd look around the house for paperwork...he said it might be in the car but I came up blank in the glovebox. He thought it was a place in Daytona, and now I'm wondering if it was AutoWorks (Kenny) but I don't think so. I will ask Kenny about it though when I see him about my car. They did do some things on his car prior to Adam getting very ill, so he should have records of the work.

I kind of recall Adam saying a shop in Deland did some work on it right before his health went downhill.

God, I still miss that kid...

Kind of puts one's problems in perspective...

SuperChicken89
05-27-2014, 07:31 PM
God, I still miss that kid...

Kind of puts one's problems in perspective...

Absolutely true!

Bryan

onequiksc
06-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Believe it or not I'm still waiting...They were so backed up with work that he was turning customers away, so at this point all I can do is hope to get some news soon...

I was told the head tech gave it a quick look-see last week, w/o technical diagnostics, but Ken the owner hadn't spoken to him about it as of Saturday. I'll stop by Friday and find out what I can....

Plat0ribs
06-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Best wishes for a good outcome from the big shoulder...

kamakazie_1
06-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Any word yet big Dan?

RJ

onequiksc
06-10-2014, 01:24 PM
Nopers...

He knows it's a "hobby" car, and not a daily driver, so he puts it on the back burner...but yeah, this is kind of ridiculous...

Will stop by later today or tomorrow and see what's up,

Thx RJ

kamakazie_1
06-10-2014, 04:52 PM
that's ok bud I was checking on ya..

RJ

onequiksc
06-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Well, stopped by this morning and got some surprising news, good news...Spoke to Kenny the owner and Dean the master tech...

I always prepare myself for the worst case scenario; all the while I was contemplating a tear down or motor swap...and what they found is minor. The hardest part for me to reconcile is how the Hell did 3 seemingly unrelated problems all happen at once?

They found a BAD oil leak at the pass. side valve cover, one plug was covered in oil (miss?)... Ok...the driver's side was leaking as well, but not as severe as the pass. side...

He drove the car and felt no power loss, ran well he said, and the rattle was not pre-ignition. He found a heat shield came loose and recreated the rattle on the lift.

So...as for the starter issue I mentioned to them when I dropped it off? I forgot to ask and he didn't mention a problem, but given the bad oil leak maybe it found it's way down to the starter.

He said the exhaust smoke was due to the oil soaked pipes, and that it didn't smoke at all till he had it up to operating temp. Then it was coming out the wheel well and on back...

I just can't figure how THAT bad an oil leak(s) became so serious that I didn't notice it a week, or a day or two prior. Weird weird weird. Not to mention the addition of the dipstick hole I patched that same day...

I'm keeping fingers crossed that there's nothing they've missed. Dean is probably the best tech I personally know of and he knows SCs, so I hope he has this right. If so, I am one seriously lucky S.O.B.

I could do the work myself, but I've not the time for a couple weeks, so I'll just have them do it. Under $300 and I'm good with that. Plus I can't tac weld the shield.

Thanks for the concern fellas....I'm not psyched just yet, but I'm going to make them test drive the car well after the work and then I can celebrate.

kamakazie_1
06-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Great news Dan, fingers crossed for ya!!

RJ

S_Mazza
06-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Maybe the oil started blowing out of the valve cover because you plugged the other leak.

But you didn't mention any crankcase explosion or backfire, so it still seems odd.

Maybe the valve cover gaskets have been loose for a while and would have leaked sooner, except the dipstick hole compensated by bleeding off pressure?

onequiksc
06-11-2014, 05:19 PM
Maybe the oil started blowing out of the valve cover because you plugged the other leak.

But you didn't mention any crankcase explosion or backfire, so it still seems odd.

Maybe the valve cover gaskets have been loose for a while and would have leaked sooner, except the dipstick hole compensated by bleeding off pressure?

Not bad theories!

I may never know ....these cars can pull some STRANGE things though.

kamakazie_1
06-23-2014, 08:39 AM
Soooooo, is it back home?

RJ

onequiksc
06-24-2014, 09:58 AM
ROF...yeah RJ, well, let's just say I'm paying the (time delay) price for telling them I "don't need it in a hurry"...stopped by last Saturday and Dean the head tech said it's 1/2 done. He had another guy do the passenger side valve cover gasket, and he (that tech) balked about doing the driver's side.

Dean was kind of laughing about the guy because he told him "Jesus Christ it's a few nuts and bolts, not the space shuttle".

Dean said the guy was intimidated because of the intercoolers and because it's a "really shiny nice car" and he didn't want any part of it because he was afraid to mess up & scratch it etc. I think the former is B.S. because hey, he has to work on all kinds of cars, some a lot more intimidating than even the SC, so I think maybe he is just too nervous about damaging the paint etc. Maybe he had a close call...I plan to check the bumper and fenders well when i get it.

So...personally, Dean's worked on the car so many times over the years, and I'm not thrilled with anyone else, esp. with that attitude, touching the car.

Last thing Dean said to me, apologetically was; " I'm sorry I haven't personally got it done but I'm just so swamped, but I can promise you we won't be having this conversation next week (i.e. this week) at this time"..

So I expect it home Friday or Saturday...~ crosses fingers~

kamakazie_1
06-24-2014, 10:21 AM
Awesome, glad it wasn't any worse..

RJ

Plat0ribs
06-24-2014, 11:19 AM
Another SC horror story put to bed without soiling the sheets.

Best Wishes for continued worry free driving fun.

onequiksc
06-24-2014, 05:28 PM
Thanks guys... I appreciate the thoughts and support. :)

SuperChicken89
06-27-2014, 01:17 PM
Dan..... at least your guys have done some work on the SC... I had an appointment to take my 69 Cougar to a highly regarded shop here in O-Town for some tuning and it sat for 2 weeks with nothing done. Guess they didn't need my money! I was willing to pay whatever it took to get the engine properly tuned. It must be nice to turn down work. FU Powered By Ford. I wouldn't take my Radio Flyer to them if you paid me to.

Best of luck and hope they get it done soon.

Bryan

onequiksc
06-27-2014, 05:08 PM
I recall that one Bry, I don't know how those guys stay in business. Then...If they DO go out of business they'll probably never figure out why, morons.

Stopped by today again and Kenny showed me I was next on Dean's list after he finished up on a large amount of work on an Explorer, so...

Probably not tomorrow but Monday...

Such is life. It's fine.

Really miss it though...

BTW Bry, I could have them do the rear toe link compensators while it's there, but to be honest, I'd rather come spend an afternoon with you sometime and BS and wrench a bit. Hope that's still possible.

kamakazie_1
06-28-2014, 07:24 AM
PBF has been that way for 30 years, I went to them for some stuff in the early 80s and they sucked then, I thought they'd be out of business by now..

RJ

SuperChicken89
06-30-2014, 09:19 AM
PBF has been that way for 30 years, I went to them for some stuff in the early 80s and they sucked then, I thought they'd be out of business by now..

RJ

I knew their reputation in advance and is why I specifically had an appointment to have the tuning done. When I stopped by to check on the progress the second week the car was there, they bold face lied to me. They told me a part for the fuel line was on order and they had to make a new timing indicator. I don't think they ever raised the hood on the car let alone checked the timing. Then they had the nerve to tell me my car got bumped twice for cars that came in over the weekend.

When I picked the car up, one of the owners saw me enter the front door and quickly hid in the machine shop. I told them I was willing to pay whatever it took to get the car running to peak performance. I guess they don't want my money.... they lost out. Went out and purchased an EFI system which I will install myself. FU Powered By Ford!

Bryan

onequiksc
07-03-2014, 05:32 PM
...This week's answer is, once again, NO.

Promises made, promises not kept, still only 1/2 done.

The irony is that I was having them do the V/C gaskets because I didn't have much time initially, and the last couple weeks I have had some time...If I had removed 1 bolt a day I would have had the driver's side done by now, lol.

Such is life. He has promised me Monday now...

See how I'm not holding my breath? Ha...

kamakazie_1
07-04-2014, 07:48 AM
...This week's answer is, once again, NO.

Promises made, promises not kept, still only 1/2 done.

The irony is that I was having them do the V/C gaskets because I didn't have much time initially, and the last couple weeks I have had some time...If I had removed 1 bolt a day I would have had the driver's side done by now, lol.

Such is life. He has promised me Monday now...

See how I'm not holding my breath? Ha...

That sucks bud, is it at least in out of the weather??

RJ

onequiksc
07-04-2014, 03:10 PM
That sucks bud, is it at least in out of the weather??

RJ

He says he "tries" to put the car in the shop at night, early on I know he did because I didn't see it when i went by after hours... but methinks that lately it's been sitting outside where it was a couple days ago, for a while...a bit dirty...it looks like I'll be doing a full detail on it in September, when I get it back (J/K...I hope!)

SuperChicken89
07-04-2014, 06:34 PM
it looks like I'll be doing a full detail on it in September, when I get it back (J/K...I hope!)

September 2014 or 2015? :D

Bryan

onequiksc
07-05-2014, 01:52 PM
September 2014 or 2015? :D

Bryan Ok Bry, now you're scaring me...:P

onequiksc
07-12-2014, 09:57 AM
Well, there's good news and there's bad news...

Good news;The car is finished...

The bad news: While it was there, I assume just recently, the brakes took a dump (again) hard pedal etc.

Dean said "I don't know why every time it's here basically just sitting you lose the power assist"...

Now, it was in that shop about 7-8 months ago for suspension work, wheel bearing and other items and it happened then. At the time, I was having issues with my turn signals and radio and told them to please check the ignition switch, because I was noticing that when I barely moved the key with the car running, things started working again. So they changed out the ignition and the brakes came back, and I stopped having my turn signals cut out etc. All was well again.

Drove the car the last 7 months and brakes never had an issue, till the news yesterday.

He said he found the ABS 30 amp fuse in the engine compartment was blown, and couldn't locate one locally, so I pulled the master fuse block from my parts car and brought it to him...but he's not working until Monday, and he's the only guy i want working on it, so...

Hurry up and wait again.

I'm thinking that this time the blown fuse is a symptom and not the cause. Pressure switch going? Pump? I have some spare anti-lok relays I can have him swap out if the pump is not shutting off...

Sc's are interesting cars...that's for certain...

BTW. Should mention he isn't charging me anything for the valve cover gasket 'loose heat shield job because it took so long and they did it on (rare) slow days...he is insisting I don't owe him because of all the work I've given him with that car. Honestly, I don't want that because I want to know I appreciate that he even works on the thing...Anyone else ( that was in the know) would run for the hills when they seen it coming . :eek:

XR7 Dave
07-12-2014, 10:01 AM
Most likely when sitting the ABS loses all pressure, after which point the pump must run for quite awhile to recharge the system. Seems perhaps the pump is going out and drawing way too much current.

onequiksc
07-12-2014, 11:18 AM
....makes sense, thanks Dave.

I have a spare pump that needs to be rebuilt, so I will see if Ed still has that rebuilder and send it to him...

I can ask my shop if they know anyone that does them, but my guess is negatory...

S_Mazza
07-13-2014, 12:29 AM
Prior Reman still does them, last I checked. Possibly SIA. Cardone does them, but it might only be for entire MC and pump units. There's a guy on eBay who advertises a rebuild for Jag motors, but he will do other cars as well.

The motor is just a motor, though it has odd brush holders. The pump is a bit unusual.

Those 30 amp fuses should be in your local Pep Boys or whatever. I had no trouble finding one, though they look slightly different.

You will need to swap the fuse, turn the key on, and see what is going on. Report back.

onequiksc
07-13-2014, 10:28 AM
Prior Reman still does them, last I checked. Possibly SIA. Cardone does them, but it might only be for entire MC and pump units. There's a guy on eBay who advertises a rebuild for Jag motors, but he will do other cars as well.

The motor is just a motor, though it has odd brush holders. The pump is a bit unusual.

Those 30 amp fuses should be in your local Pep Boys or whatever. I had no trouble finding one, though they look slightly different.

You will need to swap the fuse, turn the key on, and see what is going on. Report back.

Thx for all the info, appreciated.

I sent a PM to Ed so hopefully he has a hook up on the motor rebuild, I have a M/C unit that is good with a pressure switch on it so between all the parts I'll hopefully have whatever is needed should that be the case...

onequiksc
07-14-2014, 11:00 AM
Looks like the car needs a new ABS pump motor...Fuse is replaced and there's good current there, Relays check out good, fluid reservoir is full, no motor activity.

Sent a PM to Ed a few days ago, no response.

Anyone have any leads on a rebuilder or a rebuilt unit, anyone have one for sale?

TIA

kamakazie_1
07-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Was the one in your parts car any good Dan??

RJ

onequiksc
07-14-2014, 12:44 PM
The pump motor from Adam's car is the one in mine RJ, my original went bad a few years back and I swapped the entire M/C from the parts car then, everything but the accumulator, which i bought new at the time.

Got the car back home and guess what?

They told me they just removed the exhaust shield because they couldn't get it to stop rattling, geez...and on the way home I heard the rattle right away, definitely can tell now it's coming from the driver's side pipe between the cat and the resonator, because I could get my leg under and kick the pipe with the engine off and hear the rattle. So...they just didn't really want to bother diagnosing it right I guess.

I don't know if I have a bad cat or something's loose, Meh...right now I just need to regroup and decide if I even want to keep the car, just burnt out...so much other stuff in my life I need to put $$$ into and it's been a long haul with the SC, I don't know.

I will try to find a pump either way and try to get the brakes working again, can't sell it this way if I even decide I'm done...

Thx all

S_Mazza
07-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Looks like the car needs a new ABS pump motor...Fuse is replaced and there's good current there, Relays check out good, fluid reservoir is full, no motor activity.

Sent a PM to Ed a few days ago, no response.

Anyone have any leads on a rebuilder or a rebuilt unit, anyone have one for sale?

TIA

If you can't get a hold of Ed, try this guy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIG-JAGUAR-ATE-XJS-V12-1989-96-ABS-MOTOR-XJ40-1990-94-REBUILT-EXCH-1-YR-WARR-/380930177389?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessorie s&hash=item58b135396d&vxp=mtr

There are others out there that will do them. This link was just handy.

Speaking of Ed, has anyone heard from him? I hope he's all right.

onequiksc
07-14-2014, 12:51 PM
Thx much,

Yes, I hope Ed's alright, may be away or something....

kamakazie_1
07-14-2014, 01:13 PM
I will try to find a pump either way and try to get the brakes working again, can't sell it this way if I even decide I'm done...

Thx all

NO, who am I going to park next to if you sell Black Chrome!! Don't get rid of her, let Bryan or I help you with her..

RJ

onequiksc
07-14-2014, 01:32 PM
I know RJ...I'm just venting right now and I have to deal with it. Kind of makes me realize the shop just doesn't want to deal with the car anymore, which I understand... but then, it's not like I'm the ONLY person with an old techy car that becomes a ~~~~ for them, getting parts and the complexity of getting to things on a SC. I can do most repairs myself, I have all my life from time to time, just that I'm tired of it mostly....I have to put other things aside that are more important.

This whole episode of multiple failures all on the same day has shook me, makes no sense really...The brakes were just the added kick in the nuts...but Dave basically was right about what happened. I believe, being that I had to add a substantial amount of brake fluid to the car just before all this happened, I likely have a leak at the pump motor that just burned it up with the constant running at re-pressurizing the system every time they moved the car around the shop and lot.

I'm conflicted that, if i have to tear the M/C out I maybe should just go and do the non-abs M/C and be done with it...but that's kind of an ordeal too.

I'll see what happens...got to locate a re-builder or pump for sale 1st and decide.

I appreciate the support and offer of help, if I can ever do the same, I'm in.

onequiksc
07-14-2014, 02:15 PM
Ohh, and...it gets better....

It seems the rear bumper cover on the P/S took a hit, cracked and scraped right below the seam where the 'thunderbird sc' vertical valance meets the lower part contoured valance just at the corner as it wraps around to the wheel well...I can fix it sure...just another thing to add to the list now.

They were just no help to me at all...

He told me another time how he's just so nervous about having the car there...this is why I guess. Feckless.

I thought about going up and bringing it to his attention, but then I would burn a bridge I may need again...

Sucking it up with all the rest of it.:mad:

kamakazie_1
07-14-2014, 03:10 PM
I'm sorry, I'd take pictures and show him what all the weeks setting in his shop caused.. I know he's your bud but crap!! What year is your car Dan, 89 or 90, let me see what Angelo has up there, he's got like 4 parts cars..

RJ

onequiksc
07-14-2014, 03:32 PM
Not worth a new bumper, I just need to find that epoxy filler body shops use for the crack, then sand/prime/paint...

Right now it's insult to injury, but the lesser of my problems...

onequiksc
07-14-2014, 03:57 PM
What's really awful is that the other options for local repair shops are much, much worse....so I deal with this ~~~~!...

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/jazzdan/sc1.jpg (http://s113.photobucket.com/user/jazzdan/media/sc1.jpg.html)

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/jazzdan/sc2.jpg (http://s113.photobucket.com/user/jazzdan/media/sc2.jpg.html)

kamakazie_1
07-14-2014, 04:14 PM
Dude!! that is freakin killing me... I just talked to Angelo, he said he has a whole ABS unit, he's going to get with you later when he get's home..

RJ

onequiksc
07-14-2014, 04:21 PM
Thank you RJ, that's above and beyond...

1994blkbirdsc
07-14-2014, 06:44 PM
RJ sent Dan a PM.
If that was my car and some shop did that to it I will tell you somebody not only would be paying for damages, it would be a great possibility somebody would also get their azz kicked too !!!
What a shame !!!

onequiksc
07-14-2014, 06:57 PM
Trust me Angelo, I am pissed, but to kick ~~~ and take names I would burn a big bridge here, and the tech Dean is the only guy in the area that knows this car better than me, and while I can do a lot on my car, at times I have to defer to higher knowledge and skill (i.e tools). I have limitations.

I will be stopping by there and telling him (tried calling today 2x but voicemail) and see his reaction. I REALLY truly hope he didn't have knowledge of it, whether a tech did it and didn't report it, or another customer did it. It was sitting out in the lot and had been moved around many times in the last 6 weeks...could've been a number of scenarios.

Sucks though...

I sent you a reply, thx v/m

onequiksc
07-14-2014, 09:09 PM
Tonight, I was reading through some old posts from Mike Puckett and how he was able to get the pump motor going on a few cars by hitting the relays hard with a metal rod, and I did the same with the key in run. Heard the pump run, but only a couple seconds. It ran again on its own about 30 seconds later, again only for a second or two. I tried pumping the brake pedal to see if i could get it to happen via that, but nope. I do now get the pump to run a second or 2 when I turn the key off and then on to the run position, but I can't get it to build pressure and run longer.

Not sure what that means (pump is weak/shot would be logical), but thought I'd share.

onequiksc
07-15-2014, 10:22 AM
Stopped by Auto Works this morning and told Kenny about the damage...I could tell from his reaction he had no idea. Not even a matter of giving him the benefit of the doubt, either he's the best actor in the world or he just didn't know. He immediately told me to bring it up as soon as i could and they'd send it over to a body shop he deals with...he was insistent.

So...still sucks, but at least he's stepping up and accepting the responsibility for it being in his care.

kamakazie_1
07-15-2014, 11:09 AM
That's a good thing Dan, if he'll take care of it at least its one thing off your plate and not out of you wallet... He needs to be responsible for it for sure..

RJ

SuperChicken89
07-15-2014, 03:39 PM
That damage is totally unacceptable. Someone ether backed into something moving the car or another car backed into your car. That isn't a little scrape which would go unnoticed. You did the right thing by telling him regardless. That is all part of the responsibility the shop takes on when they agree to do repairs on a vehicle.

If you had to add brake fluid to the brake reservoir, obviously there is a leak somewhere. Most likely related to the pump motor ceasing up. What was the failure on the original ABS assembly? Same problem?

If you need anything, call me.

Bryan

onequiksc
07-15-2014, 03:56 PM
Agreed Bry, and T/Y .

The car was filthy when I picked it up, so a cursory glance of the car didn't raise any flags, although my eye WAS concentrating on door dings etc. and not the lower part of a bumper...lesson there I guess, though seeing it sooner wouldn't have made a difference in this case, he's still owned up to the responsibility.

I know he will make it right, if I can ever get the car drivable again, lol.

As for the failure of the original ABS pump motor, I don't know if it failed due to a leak, just can't remember, but I still have it and if I can ever get hold of Eddie I will have it rebuilt.

Right now Angelo & I are talking about his whole brake M/C he has for sale ...will keep everyone posted on what happens.

1994blkbirdsc
07-16-2014, 07:03 AM
Dan just give me a call when you get the chance.
Angelo.

XR7 Dave
07-16-2014, 08:07 AM
When the pump runs, does it sound sick? If it sounds strong then don't just assume it's bad. The relays are a much more common causes of failure.

SuperChicken89
07-16-2014, 01:23 PM
When the pump runs, does it sound sick? If it sounds strong then don't just assume it's bad. The relays are a much more common causes of failure.

You could install the ABS pump relay from the 91 to see what happens. As Dave said, the relays are a know issue especially with age.

Bryan

onequiksc
07-16-2014, 02:09 PM
Dave, the pumps sounds anemic / weak when it runs...

yeah Bry, i had 2 spares and swapped them in/out, no difference.

Angelo is selling me his complete M/C unit so hopefully I'll be back on the road in August.

Will keep everyone updated, thx

onequiksc
07-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Welp...you guys are gonna love this one...

So, my last post spoke of me swapping relays in/out, I honestly don't know if the relay that was last fitted on is the one that has been on the car, (I had 3 to try) but here's a ridiculous addendum;

After I last fiddled around with the car last week, I had not even touched it...today I needed to move it out of the garage to get my air compressor out, and so I started it up...

Brakes are working.

You read that correct.

I of course saw this as interesting, but I wasn't about to proclaim they are "fixed". I sent Angelo a check and I still want his M/C unit because this sudden turn for the better may only be temporary, and I know I'll need it sooner than later.

I have to find some time to sit with it and see how the pump is running and how often...somehow it has charged the accumulator up enough. I am not forgetting how the main fuse was blown while it was at the shop.

I drove it up to Auto Works to tell them this and to show Kenny the rear bumper damage, he says he will cover it. I also mentioned the exhaust rattle, and they will have to look at that issue again...I have a spare cat in the event one went bad inside.

Going away to N.C. mountains for 10 days at the end of the week so the body repair and the rest will have to wait.

Felt great to have actual power brakes, however short-lived they might be...

S_Mazza
07-21-2014, 04:14 PM
It's possible for the pump motor to work intermittently when it's getting close to failure. But it could also be a wiring problem. I guess you will have to wait for a full failure to make sure of what it is. (Or a full disassembly, whichever comes first.)

SuperChicken89
07-22-2014, 10:48 AM
This is good news but I would be cautious with the brakes. These things don't tend to repair themselves. I would still suspect the pump motor, relay or as mentioned a wiring issue.

Did you ever hear from Ed? I have a spare pump motor and would like to have rebuilt as a spare for future impending failure.

Bryan

onequiksc
07-22-2014, 03:47 PM
Yes, when I get back from the mountains I plan to do some checking on what the pump activity actually is, and if it's within norms my driving will be within a mile or so for a while...

Never did hear from ED...

1994blkbirdsc
07-28-2014, 05:29 AM
Dan let me know when you get back so I can get this ABS unit shipped off to you.
Angelo

kamakazie_1
08-03-2014, 08:19 PM
Hey Dan, Angelo and I went and picked up a couple parts cars today. Since he was coming down I told him to just throw your ABS unit in the truck and I'd bring up to you... Give me a shout when you get home..

RJ

onequiksc
08-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Got home this evening, that was real nice of you RJ,and thanks to Angelo too.

No super hurry RJ, I can meet you somewhere over the weekend if you have time, I can probably even drive down there next week, this week's too busy though..

TTYS

Dan

kamakazie_1
08-03-2014, 10:22 PM
No problem brother, it's in the truck, Next Saturday I'm going to tackle the pass side ball joints on the dually, did the drivers side last Friday night till about 1AM with Thomas, we aren't doing that crap again.. Next Sunday Joyce and I might come up that way anyway so we'll keep in touch, welcome home BTW.. I just talked to Angelo, he's still on the road headed home, he left here about 1630 headed back to the panhandle, he said he's about two hours from home so I'm wishing him safe travels the rest of the way home..

We'll talk during the week..

RJ

onequiksc
08-04-2014, 02:57 PM
Started it up and drove it after the week away, to get gas, and the brakes were fine for the short trip, right now I plan to see how they do starting it and using it in the driveway for a week before I venture out again (had my hand on the parking brake the whole time and stayed away from other cars). Got it up on ramps and the rattling is definitely coming from the driver's side Cat...seems a no-brainer, so I don't guess they spent much time diagnosing it. I could isolate the rattle there and the passenger side didn't make a similar noise when tapped on. Not coming from the shield (they removed 1 of them last time ) The pipes and brackets are all tight. Had this happen to my Mark VII and the sound is exactly the same.

I'm going to remove the Cat from my parts car and either the shop can bolt & weld it, or I'll see if Bryan can help me...I'm loathe to take it back to the shop right now, no telling how long they'll keep it and I don't want to risk them damaging it further...

SuperChicken89
08-04-2014, 03:40 PM
If my memory serves me correctly, we changed out a rattling cat at my shop years ago. Don't remember which side it was though. We could change out the bad cat and replace the toe links in an afternoon.

Bryan

kamakazie_1
08-04-2014, 04:39 PM
I've got the ABS unit here and it looks brand new, put this in too and make Dan be un-nervous!! If you guys need help let me know..

RJ

onequiksc
08-04-2014, 05:05 PM
RJ, I would probably do that myself at my place if I have to, I can do a bleed on it and get it up to Auto Works if I have air in the system, worse case scenario... as long as the brakes continue to work in the short term I want this rattle gone, it's embarrassing to drive, sounds like a 87 Dodge Caravan...

Yep Bry, that was the passenger side cat, I can still see the weld you did.

Will talk with you over the weekend and you can let me know what your August calendar looks like, though at this point even if you can't do it until Sept. I can surely wait. Just safer to leave it in the garage.

And T/Y for the help, I really don't know what I'd do w/o you and the rest of the guys here that make this car a lot easier to deal with...;)

onequiksc
08-06-2014, 09:18 AM
Unexpected issue...

Got under the parts car and it has aftermarket Cats, completely different Y pipe setup with the Cats horizontal/ in line on the driver's side pipe to resonator. The cats are a little smaller in diameter so I suppose I can make it work somehow, the big difference is the oem driver's side cat comes right off the manifold/ down tube and this setup has a smooth bended pipe from the manifold to the cat...

Nothing is ever straightforward for me...

I am planning to see if I can take the whole Y pipe from both of the manifolds to the resonator as 1 piece and maybe Bryan & I can figure something out from there...just need a few hours to get that done....

kamakazie_1
08-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Hey if all else fails just change the whole system all the back Dan, it's the same model of car, what ever Adam figured out there on that one should be a positive move for ya anyway..

Good luck, If you guys need my help let me know, I'm game..

RJ

onequiksc
08-06-2014, 09:04 PM
...makes sense, I soaked the severely rusted bracket bolts at the manifold with WD 40 so hopefully the thing will come down in a couple days when I get time, otherwise i will be cutting out a section of pipe and cat...You are too kind sir, will give a shout if needed.

SuperChicken89
08-07-2014, 09:18 AM
Can check my pile of SC parts to see if I still have an OEM cat but won't have a chance till Saturday. I believe we used my old down pipes for the other bad cat.

Bryan

onequiksc
08-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Thx Bry....I think I have a few options, time will tell which is best.

onequiksc
08-08-2014, 11:17 AM
Brakes went out again today in the driveway...

Thankfully it happened there and not when I went to get gas in the car the other day.

For now, that's the 1st priority, the cat and the rest will have to wait...Ugghh

kamakazie_1
08-08-2014, 12:19 PM
Your part is still in the truck Dan, It looks new, I will get with Joyce and see about coming up that way on Sunday.. If not I'll come up that way..

RJ

onequiksc
08-08-2014, 01:00 PM
RJ, I can probably get down to you on Sunday, I don't expect you to have to do the legwork on my purchase...not that I don't appreciate it mind you, I just feel I should be spending the gas $$$.

I will text or phone you Sunday and see what's up with your schedule. If we can't make it work I am pretty sure I can run down during the week if you leave it somewhere I can grab it.

Then again, I will have to find time to pull the old unit out first, so it's not like I can't wait till next weekend or later...the car's not going anywhere anytime soon.

kamakazie_1
08-08-2014, 01:55 PM
No big deal bud, it's not like you are 100 miles away or anything... I'm thinking Joyce is going to want to do Daytona Sunday anywhere so I'm like real close to you by then.. We'll see what happens tomorrow bud..

RJ

onequiksc
08-08-2014, 05:04 PM
If it works out like that then sure, no problem, will TTYS

onequiksc
08-09-2014, 03:05 PM
Got the whole Y pipe section out of the parts car today, everything went pretty easily. Cut the pipe at the rear of the resonator, so if other options aren't as simple, it should hook up to my pipe at the same place with an adapter or small pipe section.

Question; This Y pipe has 1 oxygen sensor on the pass. side pipe, forward of the cat, the driver's side has it in the engine manifold and isn't on the driver's side pipe at all...is that the same as the oem setup?

I don't feel like jacking up my SC to look at the moment, been under a car too much today already...

Kurt K
08-09-2014, 05:09 PM
It's been a long time since I had stock exhaust, but I believe the driver side O2 either goes in or right before the CAT.

onequiksc
08-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Thx Kurt...here is a pic from today...I will get under mine in the next week and hope you're correct on that, but I seem to remember noticing that as well...otherwise I would have to fabricate an O2 bung in this units D/S pipe...being that Adam had stock exh. manifolds on his car, I think that has to be right...my exhaust isn't rusty like this (Aluminized pipe on mine) so i'd prefer just trying to make that D/S Cat work with my setup, but I'll take the path of least resistance regardless of the rust if that's how it shakes out...

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/jazzdan/scexypipe.jpg (http://s113.photobucket.com/user/jazzdan/media/scexypipe.jpg.html)

Kurt K
08-09-2014, 09:48 PM
Dan,

That doesn't look like stock exhaust to me. The stock driver side CAT actually comes in the top and discharges in the back. That said, it's possible that the O2 threads into the stock manifold.

onequiksc
08-09-2014, 11:23 PM
Kurt, just a misunderstanding, I mentioned earlier in the thread that my parts car is Adam's old car ( which this part came off of) and that his exhaust/cats are aftermarket / fabricated differently than my stock system, so yes, I am aware of that.

My concern was how to make either his D/S cat work on my oem system or to just hang his whole Y piece on mine.

One way of the other I can, the 02's were my only real concern...

1994blkbirdsc
08-17-2014, 07:31 AM
Dan did you get the ABS unit installed yet ?
Angelo.

onequiksc
08-17-2014, 10:38 AM
Still at the shop unfortunately Angelo, playing the waiting game once again...will post when I get it back, Thx.

SuperChicken89
08-18-2014, 10:24 PM
Dan... FYI... I checked my 89 parts pile and I still have the driver side cat from my orignal exhaust. It is yours if you want it. I also have your old passenger side cat... though it is a ~~~ :D

Bryan

Brad Klein
08-19-2014, 11:15 AM
why put cats on it? do you have inspections? I know the State doesn't do them but I know some counties do but if yours doesnt just take them off Ive been cat free since 97 with no issues

onequiksc
08-19-2014, 11:57 AM
Thx Bry, I like Brad's idea (it had crossed my mind-no inspections here in Volusia) but I will discuss with you when I get the car back and do whatever is easiest.

Thanks for that heads- up Brad :)

SuperChicken89
08-20-2014, 08:19 AM
Taking the cats off will make it louder. Didn't think you wanted it louder because you put rear mufflers back on it a few years ago. My car is catless with a Magnaflow 2-in2-out center muffler and Borla's out back. It is very loud when you stand on the loud peddle. :D

If it were me, I would put the setup from Adam's car on because the factory cat setup is very restrictive. Just my $.02 :D

Bryan

onequiksc
08-20-2014, 03:29 PM
Just spoke to Kenny, the M/C from Angelo does not work...

RJ, I called Angelo and told him, he said you have another M/C on a car you have, and he said if we can power that car up with a battery we can find out if that unit works or not.

I can come down this weekend if possible and rip it out if it does..

This is really getting old...

S_Mazza
08-20-2014, 04:25 PM
Just spoke to Kenny, the M/C from Angelo does not work...

RJ, I called Angelo and told him, he said you have another M/C on a car you have, and he said if we can power that car up with a battery we can find out if that unit works or not.

I can come down this weekend if possible and rip it out if it does..

This is really getting old...

What does it mean that the MC doesn't work? Motor doesn't run?

Did you test for power at the motor connector? Fuses good?

onequiksc
08-20-2014, 04:34 PM
What does it mean that the MC doesn't work? Motor doesn't run?

Did you test for power at the motor connector? Fuses good?

They just swapped it in and bled the system, so I don't think they did any diagnostics, but I will ask the head tech some of those questions tomorrow...

He knows the system and I will see if he can tell me about the pump motor...

kamakazie_1
08-20-2014, 04:36 PM
Damn... what didn't work Dan, the motor?? I'll see what I can do tonight when the sun goes down a little, it's like 106 out there..

RJ

1994blkbirdsc
08-20-2014, 07:22 PM
Dan please ask the tech what is wrong.
This unit worked fine when pulled, its been sitting for 1 year +
Angelo

onequiksc
08-20-2014, 08:03 PM
RJ, what does your weekend look like? I can bring a battery down there and throw it in the car....no need to go sweat your a$$ off...just let me know what a good time would be either Sat or Sun, afternoon would be best for me.

I will find out what I can tomorrow Angelo...

1994blkbirdsc
08-21-2014, 07:09 AM
RJ, what does your weekend look like? I can bring a battery down there and throw it in the car....no need to go sweat your a$$ off...just let me know what a good time would be either Sat or Sun, afternoon would be best for me.

Dan please do so, as you seem the unit was ultra clean, been rebuilt by somebody, and not even cleaned by me, just dedusted.

I sold 1 to Steve above with no issues at all.

I am very concerned and upset you had issues, maybe its a relay, fuse, something.
I cannot imagine a working unit going bad from sitting :confused:

If that was the case any rebuilt unit sitting on the shelf would go bad :confused:
Unless its the JINX of the SC :mad:

kamakazie_1
08-21-2014, 08:12 AM

Brother I'm all about you getting Black-Chrome back on the road, I will make myself available whenever your schedule works.. According to weather Sun afternoon might not be the best time because our rain chances go back up to like 50%...

Either way you want to do it, just let me know..

RJ

onequiksc
08-21-2014, 10:04 AM
Angelo, you never mentioned it was rebuilt before...what exactly was rebuilt, the pump motor or the whole unit etc.?

Has anyone heard from Eddie lately? I would like to find a source to rebuilt these pump motors, God knows I have a few to rebuild...

Going to pick the car up in an hour, will report back.

Edit: I spoke with Dean the master tech, who told me another guy installed the part and although he was a "good tech", he didn't "understand how the system works", and Dean asked me if I could leave it another couple days till he can look at it and diagnosis what is and isn't happening. He said he thinks the pump motor may be frozen.

Anyway, Dean he said he wasn't satisfied with "does not work", which were the words from the installer tech and what Kenny was told. Can't disagree.

Patience required once again...

S_Mazza
08-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Dan please do so, as you seem the unit was ultra clean, been rebuilt by somebody, and not even cleaned by me, just dedusted.

I sold 1 to Steve above with no issues at all.

I am very concerned and upset you had issues, maybe its a relay, fuse, something.
I cannot imagine a working unit going bad from sitting :confused:

If that was the case any rebuilt unit sitting on the shelf would go bad :confused:
Unless its the JINX of the SC :mad:

It's true, the one I got from Angelo works fine.

I did clean out the brake fluid that was in it when I got it. The stuff that was actually in the pump didn't look too good after sitting a while.

I think it is possible for a small part within the pump to get stuck from corrosion if it sits exposed to the elements, but if there was fluid in it, I don't think it would.

What could happen is that the pump could be airlocked. I was reading about a similar situation on this board recently. In that case, the motor runs, but fluid never moves. There are certain steps that seem to work in clearing up that situation, but let's make sure of what is happening first.

There are a number of places that will rebuild the pump motors. If you can't find the info by searching this board, I can send you a link or two. Board member "the-big-e" had his local motor shop rebuild them and kept a few in stock, but he hasn't been seen on here in several months.

kamakazie_1
08-21-2014, 04:56 PM
Hey Dan, I was going to tell you that if you come to the house bring me one of the motors, I've got an awesome motor shop here in TVille that I've had do several other things for me, I'd like to take one to him and see if he could do it and what it would cost.. This shop even re-builds armatures..

It wouldn't cost anything for him to tell us if he could do them..

RJ

onequiksc
08-21-2014, 05:35 PM
Thanks S Mazza , good info and I'll pass it along...

RJ, Definitely, Bryan & I have been discussing that very topic, he knows a shop that he wants to ask too, but I will bring one down or get 1 to you ASAP, it's absolutely worth asking...we're all going to be SOL eventually without a couple reputable skilled rebuilders out there, and Eddie is currently M.I.A. so we can't ask him about his guy...

TTYS

1994blkbirdsc
08-21-2014, 06:23 PM
Dan that's why I asked what the tech said, does not work just does not sound right ?

The 2 units I sold had been rebuild by somebody, I have never seen such clean ABS units in any of the many cars I have pulled them out of.

Hell the 1 in my 92 is no where near as clean as the ones I sold.

None the less keep me posted. RJ has another at his house so no worries.
Angelo

onequiksc
08-21-2014, 07:17 PM
Angelo, I really hope he can get to some diagnostics before the weekend, but given their track record, not such great odds that will happen, still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed..

FWIW, your unit was decently clean, but not much different than my original or the unit I pulled from my parts car ( the one that just went bad in mine) a few years ago which was actually cleaner than yours, not that it matters, what they look like on the outside has little to do with them working or not.

I just spent a couple hours today reading the 'ABS to Conventional brake' swap thread, so I am preparing myself for just throwing in the towel on this system if worse comes to worse (and it's heading in that direction!) :)

1994blkbirdsc
08-22-2014, 05:52 AM
I understand. Steve above mentioned something very interesting.
I am beginning to think maybe I messed up by removing the hose to drain the fluid for transport and leaving it off :confused:

I really feel bad you are having problems. Maybe the Master tech can figure out whats going on here.
Angelo.

onequiksc
08-30-2014, 12:06 PM
Just an update; still waiting for Dean to get a chance to look at the problem, "a couple days" is code for "about 2 weeks"...

kamakazie_1
08-30-2014, 12:44 PM
I was going to ask yesterday afternoon when I noticed we'd not heard anything Dan..

RJ

1994blkbirdsc
09-02-2014, 06:24 AM
Just an update; still waiting for Dean to get a chance to look at the problem, "a couple days" is code for "about 2 weeks"...

Wow very eager this shop to take care of customers I see :mad:
Keep us posted Dan.

onequiksc
09-09-2014, 12:53 PM
Stopped by just now and I'm getting the car back today, Dean said the pump is dead...applied power to it directly and no luck even rapping on it...

They put my old intermittent unit back in, if for no other reason than to maybe have brakes to take it home.

Angelo,..I've got yours in the trunk, and will get it back to you or give it to RJ if you prefer...

I will PM you later, Thx

kamakazie_1
09-09-2014, 04:08 PM
Dan you want to come down and test this one in the 01 parts car?? if you come this way remember to bring one of the motors and I'll take it to this guy here in TVille to see if he can rebuild them..

RJ

onequiksc
09-09-2014, 04:43 PM
I may RJ...will let you know at the end of the week...I may just want Angelo to refund my $$$ because I paid for a working unit and if i have to have something rebuilt i'd want to use that money to do it.

The tech Dean said Lenz Electric motor in Daytona should be able to rebuild them too, but I haven't called them so I don't know if that's true...

Also, after starting it up to drive home...I now have a 'check engine' light on and I was there when he plugged a code reader in and he came up blank, he said the reader wasn't working...

Every time the car goes up there it comes back worse off..

SuperChicken89
09-09-2014, 05:09 PM
Every time the car goes up there it comes back worse off..

UFB.... I'm sure they left something unplugged when the units were swapped out.

Wish there was something I could do to help you out but I have my own broke car (not the SC).

Bryan

onequiksc
09-09-2014, 08:10 PM
FWIW Thx Bry...

Trouble with the Cougar?

S_Mazza
09-09-2014, 08:54 PM
I have rebuilt (brushes and seals) one of these motors myself. It's not hard; it just takes a little patience and a few tools. Any decent electric motor shop could do it. A few of the parts - seals, brush holders - are not commonly available, but I think all replacements for this are available if you work at getting them.

If nobody local wants to handle the job, you can send it to this guy on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIG-JAGUAR-ATE-XJS-V12-1989-96-ABS-MOTOR-XJ40-1990-94-REBUILT-EXCH-1-YR-WARR-/261572727936?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessorie s&hash=item3ce6f31480&vxp=mtr
I have not used his services myself, so it's not a full endorsement, but he does them.

I had considered getting a couple dedicated tools and doing these on the side myself, but I don't have time anymore, since my real job is keeping me busy. Which is good!

onequiksc
09-09-2014, 11:12 PM
Steve, I'm hoping you're right on that...that's pretty much what Dean the ASE tech told me today.

If RJs parts car has a working unit I will try for that first, if it doesn't then I'll see if Angelo will reimburse me so I can have a rebuilder work on what I have (I have 2 broken spares along with Angelo's, which I will give back to him)

SuperChicken89
09-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Trouble with the Cougar?

Well it hasn't been running for 4 weeks now :( The fuel injection installation is taking longer than I had planned and won't be done anytime soon. I will be very busy over the next 4-6 weeks. So the new target completion date is late October.

Bryan

onequiksc
09-10-2014, 01:55 PM
Well it hasn't been running for 4 weeks now :( The fuel injection installation is taking longer than I had planned and won't be done anytime soon. I will be very busy over the next 4-6 weeks. So the new target completion date is late October.

Bryan

Hey...Late October sounds good to me!...at the rate things are going with my car, I'll hope for things to be back to semi-normal by New Years :(

P.S. Did I mention that I found a door ding in my passenger door and some paint removal?

Yep....

SuperChicken89
09-10-2014, 02:22 PM
P.S. Did I mention that I found a door ding in my passenger door and some paint removal?

UFB... For some reason that doesn't surprise me at all.

Bryan

onequiksc
09-10-2014, 03:36 PM
UFB... For some reason that doesn't surprise me at all.

Bryan

Amazing huh?

Turns out they didn't actually swap my old M/C/ back in, like Kenny said he *thought* they did...so, I came home and pulled the thing out of the car and I'll just hope the unit RJ has on his parts car works.

I will put it in myself if it does.

If not, I'll leave Angelo's system with RJ or send it back to him if he wants it, and ask Angelo for a refund and probably wind up putting non-abs system in...unless Lenz tells me they can do a rebuild on the pump motor ...

Will be in touch RJ

1994blkbirdsc
09-11-2014, 07:15 AM
Wow just catching up will all this. Let me know what you come up with here.
There is the 91 parts car at RJ's, its still in the car so a quick battery connect should tell the tale there.
Dan I am so sorry you had problems, I would have never offered a known bad abs unit to anyone !!
I am still is disbelief a working unit took a dump from just sitting :confused:
Just let me know either way.
Angelo.

onequiksc
09-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Thx Angelo, I know you're not at fault, just old parts and unpredictable...

Will let you know what's up with the parts car unit this weekend hopefully...TTYS

S_Mazza
09-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Wow just catching up will all this. Let me know what you come up with here.
There is the 91 parts car at RJ's, its still in the car so a quick battery connect should tell the tale there.
Dan I am so sorry you had problems, I would have never offered a known bad abs unit to anyone !!
I am still is disbelief a working unit took a dump from just sitting :confused:
Just let me know either way.
Angelo.

For the motor itself not to work from sitting is pretty odd. It's possible the brushes are down to the nubs and it was on the edge of not running before.

1994blkbirdsc
09-13-2014, 07:33 AM
For the motor itself not to work from sitting is pretty odd. It's possible the brushes are down to the nubs and it was on the edge of not running before.

Steve that's about the only explanation I can think of. It worked when I set it aside.
It must have been on its last leg to begin with ??
I really can't explain ??
BUT I am a honest guy and never jerk people around either.

onequiksc
09-13-2014, 02:44 PM
Angelo, sent you a message on Facebook about today with RJ...

Well folks, I'm back to square one...

If my local electric motor shop doesn't want to attempt rebuilding my old pump motor, I'm going to put a conventional braking system on the car. I'm not going to send a unit away for a rebuild, too dicey if something fails prematurely, at least locally I know Lenz has been in the area for 20+ years...I'm exhausted just from the last 2 months on dealing with this system, put too much time and $$$ out and the car has only been damaged in the process...

Thanks for the support from Steve, Angelo, Bryan, RJ etc. I appreciate it.

Thx Angelo,

onequiksc
10-29-2014, 05:21 PM
RJ, please check your P/M...

SuperChicken89
10-31-2014, 09:43 AM
Dan... Please don't discard your old ABS assembly or pump motors. I'll take them off your hands.

Please let me know if you need anything while converting over to conventional brakes.

Bryan

onequiksc
11-01-2014, 06:40 PM
I will keep it for you Bry, no worries.

I have the system in, bench bled the master cylinder and the lines are hooked up. Bleeding is next...

RJ, if you are reading this, could you please let me know about my phone text to you on Saturday morning , thx....

onequiksc
11-07-2014, 06:05 PM
Well folks, it's been almost 4 months and I'm happy to report the Sc finally has brakes. I drove it about 3 miles and they feel good, with quick engagement and good pedal feel. I was initially concerned that maybe they were dragging because at highway speeds I felt the car was kind of different in feel, sort of like "held back" a bit but...I think it might be more a factor of having been solely driving the GS400 for the last few months, with its extra gear, higher rear end ratio and more HP, and I need to get used to the lower rear geared, 4 speed auto, less HP SC again.

To be more certain, I jacked up the front wheels and they spin fine with no obvious dragging, and I jacked up both rear wheels and ran it in neutral and they spin without any rubbing sounds...so I will keep my eye on things and take a longer drive in the next few days and see if the fluid is getting hot or the rotors hotter than they should.

I was pretty sure i adjusted the booster screw correctly, but there's that little bit of uncertainty in everything I do.

Next, I have to take the car to the muffler shop and see if they can put that cat/pipe on the driver's side Y pipe....

Then paint/body work to repair all the damage the 'repair" shop did...

Slow climb back, but...even if i have some minor adjustments on the pedal rod, NO MORE ABS WOES!!!

WOOT!

BTW, I spent a total of $55 on the booster ($35) and master cylinder ($14.95+ shipping). But having brakes again= priceless. :)

Kurt K
11-07-2014, 11:22 PM
Great news Dan.

kamakazie_1
11-08-2014, 09:28 AM
That's awesome Dan, glad she's back to rolling around OB...

RJ

onequiksc
11-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Thanks Kurt, RJ...

Well, I found out why the car felt that way on the highway...DOH...my transmission (Lentech) O/D switch was off, so the car was in 3d gear at 60 mph...you think I would have checked that right away...

Took it to get gas this morning and aside from the cat making noise, the car felt and ran well.

I'm pinching myself that I can actually get in it and drive again...been too long. :)

onequiksc
11-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Hey Bry, thanks for the phone call and the advice, it didn't solve it but it led to the solution...

I swapped out the air temp sensor and still had the check engine light, but I noticed the wire feed was twisted and kinked under the plenum, probably something the shop did when R&R -ing the ABS M/C...and the minute I straightened the wire out, I checked the dash and the light went off and stayed off the last couple days.

Think that was it. Car is running great. Got and appt. next Monday to have the cat/pipe replaced...

:)

SuperChicken89
11-11-2014, 08:21 PM
Dan... Glad you got the check enging light to clear. There must be a bad wire which may be damaged inside the insulation. Visually inspect the wire for obvious damage.

Now if you could fix the issue with the EFI system installed on my Cougar.... Lord knows MSD isn't helping.... self learning system major BS!

Bryan

onequiksc
11-12-2014, 09:13 PM
From what you told me, even MSD can't fix it...oh wait... they told you you can just trash it and buy the new updated iteration.

Such nice folks...always looking out for the customer...

Brad Klein
11-14-2014, 12:29 PM
Bryan did you by chance email Dalke about it? I emailed him about my father in laws Falcon a while ago and pretty much diagnosed it through email :D it ended up being a bad ECU and I know its a different problem your having but he might have a better idea than the people who built it LOL

SuperChicken89
11-14-2014, 03:35 PM
Bryan did you by chance email Dalke about it? I emailed him about my father in laws Falcon a while ago and pretty much diagnosed it through email :D it ended up being a bad ECU and I know its a different problem your having but he might have a better idea than the people who built it LOL

Brad... No I haven't but it was a thought.

Spoke with MSD again today (about my 12th phone call to them) and they want me to check the MAP sensor pressure with KOEO. They want to be sure it is reading about 29 here at sea level. If the reading is to far off, it may be at fault which they have seen before. I may ask David his opinion but it isn't a system which can be tuned.

Bryan