Wiring problem (I think)

bauble

I've got a '93, 5-speed that's been having problems with the instrument lights (the speedo, tach, etc.). The problem started a while ago and would come and go. Also, the anti-lock, firm ride, VMM and turn signals won't come on from time to time (though, thankfully, the headlights always will). I had a bad radiator and after replacing it, the instrument lights won't work at all (about two weeks ago).

It seems that the instrument lights fail to detect that the headlights have been turned on, though this may be inaccurate as the climate control display (the one that displays the degree setting) dims, but none of the other lights act like they know that the headlights are on.

The problem started before I replaced the rad, but it immediately got worse after putting the new rad in, so I'm thinking I joslted a connection somewhere (that and the fact that when they went out before, hitting a bump would sometimes cause them to come back on, makes me think I've got a loose connection), but I don't know where to look.

HELP !!! Where should I start looking ?

bauble

I had a similar problem. Turned out to be a fuse. Below is the cut and paste from where I told about. Do a search for thread by Tripntx to find more useable info.

It turned out to be the fuse contacts on the fuse block. Fuse number 19 contacts were spread out just a little bit and wasn't suppling power to the fuse. I used a small flat head screwdriver to push the contacts towards each other. Turned the key on and noticed my idiot lights were working. Cranked the car, and my tach, temp and oil press was working.

tripntx,

My guages are all working all right, I just can't see them at night. I will check the fuse box and make sure that I'm getting good connections on all the fuses (I've already checked the fuses themselves and they're all good) to make sure that they're snug, but I suspect the problem is under the hood (since it got worse after I was working there, though I'll admit I'm no mechanic and that could just be coincidence). Thanks for the quick reply.

Back