Fender Rolling

Tim Groth

SCCoA Member
Getting ready to mount the 18x10 SVEs this weekend...pretty certain rolling the fenders is going to be required. Contacted my local rental locations, speed shops, paint stores, etc. and I've concluded a fender rolling tool isn't something to be found in Roanoke.

Given my lack of time prior to Carlisle the Eastwood Rental off ebay isn't gonna happen. Seeing lots of info on using a bat to roll fenders...certainly I can't be the first one to have this dilema.

Thoughts, suggestions, help.

-Tim

Yes read it and also read how us did an alignment with iphones and ipads (impressive)...

I read a lot of different techniques online...some even using a dremel to cut the inner fender lip and then hammer it flat.. The guy at the speed shop local was obviously old school and when asked said, "A tool?! What the H do you need a tool for...you just use a bat..thats how I've done it for years..." :rolleyes:

Running a 275/40/18 on a 10 inch rim I am fairly certain will mean rubbing as the 18x9 with the same tire did so.

-Tim

Use the tool, don't settle. Baseball bats are not the correct way to roll the inner fender lips and are a great way to crack the paint. With heat and my Eastwood roller I have done a dozen cars and never had a single issue.

I just used channel locks back in the day to bend it up then shot some paint on it where it cracked.

I've rolled the fenders on probably a dozen cars over the years. One time I tried to use the tool and it was a major ~~~~. Every time I have done it using a wooden baseball bat and a heat gun, and the only time I had paint crack was when I was impatient and didn't get the area hot enough. The way to do it is jack up the car so the wheels hang down. Start in the center of the wheel arch and use the heat gun to heat up the area to where it is too hot to touch. Dig the lip into the fat end of the bat 1-2" below the top, then using the tire as your leverage point, push in on the handle while also sliding the bat up to fold the metal over. Work an area of about 3" long at a time, continually heating with the heat gun as you go. As long as you keep the area hot while you are doing it, the paint won't crack. Once you have the lip folded over, use the bat as a roller, again prying against the tire, and just work it back and forth to smooth everything out a little more. Once you have it down pat, it should take you about 15-20 minutes per corner.

Sounds easy enough... Thanks for the replies.

After some thought of people I know, it came to my attention Mike Siska ran the Body Shop at the Ford Dealer here in Roanoke for a while...he's ran every dept at some point there (or so it feels). He was able to set me up with a body man there to do some side work and also make sure it's done right. For the piece of mind its worth the money IMO.

I will probably try the bat tech on one of my parts cars to see what all it takes.

-Tim

Tim on my mustangs ive always used a bat and roll. The SC though has a pretty stiff double type lip. If you do use a bat still use the heat gun. It will help the metal bend easier as well as helping with the paint.

ALSO...using a vice gri[p or channel lock to start the procedure if careful has heled in the past.

The tool really works great if you take your time..But so does the bat trick..Just a bit harder to control.

Key is to take your time doing a little at a time for best results. All Quarter panels are also not pinch welded together equally so results can vary..TAKE YOUR TIME

Had the rear fenders rolled this weekend - few items for anyone looking to run a 18x10 wheel (more than likely this has been covered before). The ebrake cables come off at an angle where they want to rub on the rim. This was remedied in my situation with some zip ties placed properly to move it out of the way.

Make sure not to putt to much tension on the cable or readjust (as i did) otherwise the brakes will stick.

Also the axel shaft ticks out further than the center cap. I'll be cutting my axels down to accomidate the new wheels.

Otherwise for the fender rolling - all he used was a body hammer and beat the fender up - taking hit time and going over it multiple times. The paint chipped but only inside the fender lip...car will be getting repainted in 2015 so I'm pleased with it for now. the Ecoat didn't chip off so I don't for see any rust coming thru.

garage_attachment.php

garage_attachment.php

More pics in my garage in the signature for those interested.

-Tim

Last edited:
Back