PDA

View Full Version : What to expect 1/4 mile

philstad28
05-29-2014, 01:33 PM
Im going to Maple grove tomorrow (if it doesnt rain lol) and im wondering what my car should run. Its a 94 5spd with 90k miles. I ported the heads with 3 angle valve job, ported the sc, ported the exhaust manifolds and installed a cheapo intake and some pypes mufflers. Im going to add a smaller pulley, dic and some more exhaust work afterwords and see what gains i would get from that. It ran a 15.7 when it was stock and im curious what people on here would think it would run. Any input would be nice :)

Thanks, Phil

05-29-2014, 02:25 PM
Low 15s-15flat

Scott Long
05-29-2014, 03:47 PM
Work on your launch. You don't want to wheel hop but you don't want to bog either. Slip the clutch from 3200 rpm and try to get it going with minimal wheel spin. Might try lowering your rear tires down to about 20 psi.

rbrown
05-29-2014, 07:56 PM
I got 14's with less work. Your launch and shifting are key.

philstad28
05-30-2014, 12:11 PM
My goal is to be in the 13s when im done with all the mods i want. Do you think my current setup could do at least mid 14s? I have to beat my buddy in his stock 05 mk3 gti lol

05-30-2014, 02:01 PM
I would not think mid 14s will not happen. i think it will want to beat itself apart and hurt your kidneys. these stick cars are. terrible for wheel hop. surely you felt it last time. if you fix the hop problem then ya what you have done will get you well into the 14s. I have only got to make one pass in my stick car and it really shook hard. i got lucky and peddeled through it only to waste the run with a blown 2-3 shift.

philstad28
05-30-2014, 02:23 PM
Yeah its hard getting a good pass with a stick sc. I only got a 15.7 before but it was stock with bad plugs and wires and a leaky headgasket. there was a lot of wheelhop when i ran before so i know that didnt go away lol. I at least want to beat the 14.7 i ran in my old 98 mustang gt with no exhaust and an intake

05-30-2014, 08:16 PM
I am interested to see what time improvement you have. Best of luck I hope you make me look foolish.:D

philstad28
05-30-2014, 11:14 PM
I just got back from the track with lower results than I thought so you were right :rolleyes: I did a best of 15.3@90.25mph and my highest mph was 90.68 and my best 60' was 2.22. I guess something is wrong with my car if it ran that slow lol

jdsgallops
05-31-2014, 02:29 AM
post the full slip so we can see the entire run.

only running 90.xx at that ET is probably a good indication that the stock IC is the cork. 1/8th mile numbers will tell the story.

1994blkbirdsc
05-31-2014, 06:26 AM
With a short time of 2.22 sounds like your not getting out of the hole like you should be or excessive wheel spin.
Either try a different launch technique or some sticky rubber in the rear.

05-31-2014, 08:56 AM
congrat on the improvement! you are headed in the right direction. did you try any different launch techneiques? tire press? some times if you go through the traps in third that will help. some where in these forums is the recipe to fix the axle shudder problem. i think it had the title of california wheel hop fix or something similar. i never pursued fixing mine. my son had a 90 auto that weighed 4,080 lbs with him in it. we started with a 16.20 and went down to a fast 14.20 with a home made cai with like a nine inch cone filter, headgaskets,gasket match intake, port and polished manifolds,( short turn radius port on exhaust side of head, did that with the valves in the head),roller rockers, 5% pully, heat wrap on manifolds and intercooler tubes, and gutted cats. of course with the auto he had no wheel hop and could do a sub 2 second 60 foot, not always but at least a 2 flat with tire spin. i don,t remember eighth mile numbers but he had a time slip posted on here somewhere. now remember this was 10 to 12 years ago. his screen name was silver sc 90 i think. he tired of the car and we moved on to an 02 gt that will do the quarter in 12.4@ 119 mph. your mph seems about right to me with your time. the gt that my son has is a prime example of tire spin, his et should be mid-high 11s with that mph. fix the hop and get some tires and you could see mid low 14s.open up the exhaust and a good inter cooler and bigger injectors and a tune and your at your goal. (thats my take) good luck!

05-31-2014, 09:06 AM
oh ya i forgot the NUMBER 1 RULE, change only one parameter at a time. if the parameter that you change works, move forward if not change it back. my son is bad about wanting to make a lot of changes at one time. good luck.

1FSTBRD
05-31-2014, 11:33 AM
I know that I'm guilty as well of just looking at baseline numbers and performance on paper, but many horsepower and 1/4 mile runs on various cars will usually be slower than what one wants. The awesome thing about the SC's is that very few cars do it with the ride and handling that an SC has. To me, getting an SC into the lower 14's or high 13's would be a success, but just driving these things is exhiliarating.

philstad28
05-31-2014, 01:15 PM
I guess I was just hoping for more being that I only went up .4 with ported heads and ported exhaust manifolds and mufflers and the ported sc. I think my buddy who ported the supercharger overported it and that's why its going so slow. He went kinda crazy on it lol. Some of the original coating on the rotors was stripping off and when I got it back all the coating was off so he must have stripped all the original coating off :(. My 60' times were a lot better than when I went up the first time but it kinda feels like a dog higher rpm so that's why im thinking overported blower. I took some air pressure out when I did it but the launches were all not that great so idk if it really did anything but its all trial and error I guess. Ill just have to do better next time :)

jjklongisland
05-31-2014, 01:19 PM
I know that I'm guilty as well of just looking at baseline numbers and performance on paper, but many horsepower and 1/4 mile runs on various cars will usually be slower than what one wants. The awesome thing about the SC's is that very few cars do it with the ride and handling that an SC has. To me, getting an SC into the lower 14's or high 13's would be a success, but just driving these things is exhiliarating.

I would agree with you if I could just get my dam speed sensitive steering working. I hate driving my car recently... :mad:

philstad28
05-31-2014, 01:30 PM
Im driving my old dodge dart around today and my timeslips are still in the sc so ill post them when I get them. My 1/8th mile was a 9.8 or something like that. It has the stock intercooler with no fan but im currently building the dic so hopefully it would help lower my air temps