Brake booster motor removal

JT15601

I need to remove the motor that charges the accumulator because it has a flat spot and gets stuck all the time then I have to get out of the car to tap it to get it spinning again. I'm going to first try to replace the brushes but if that doesn't work I have access to one from another car. What's the easiest way to get it out of there because its way down in there. I'd really like to do it without having to remove the brake lines. Is that possible or does it all just have to come out?

It's best to take the whole unit out, unless you have good access from below. (Either a lift or you are comfortable working upside down.)

Replacing the brushes isn't that difficult, but it's a little hard to separate the motor from the end plate, because it's staked in place. Still doable.

You can also get rebuilt ones from "the-big-e" when he is on here.

There are a number of places online that will rebuild them as well. I saw one on ebay that does the service for Jaguar XJ pump motors. Same motor, different plug. He rebuilds your unit if you send it in. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIG-JAGUAR...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce0dbacdd&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
The originals are curved, coppery-colored brushes, and I found it hard to get exact replicas. But you should be able to find something equivalent at www.carbonbrush.com or other similar carbon brush retailer. The brush part I used in the past was L8-10H.

Back