where to buy a crankshaft

quatrini

Hey everyone i just bought a used crank off someone on here and i noticed a decent gouge on a rod journal. Im not gonna dispute it because its possible someone around my house touched it and caused the damage. I saw rock auto sells reground cranks but im unsure if they will be any good because they are .010 main and rod journals, and i believe these cranks are only supposed to be polished. Also when i inquired to crankshaft supply the customer service rep gave me an attitude and told me not to buy from them, simply because i told him i thought these cranks couldnt be ground. This is a performamce build. Need advice.
Thank you

^and no issues? i might just bite the bullet and buy one of these reman cranks. they come with main and rod bearings but with the rear main journal being .010 undersize already its confusing.

It may be that you can't grind more than 0.01" without re-doing the fillets in each corner, which requires a special tool. Then, you might get into softer metal and need to redo some heat treatment. Then re-grind and polish to final dimensions and finish.

I think that if more than .010 is removed the crank must be re truffited. thats like a chemical process to harden the crank, but i dont know if it applies to this crank.

I sourced a crank from an entire engine. Engine had been rebuilt for Ford and had the Ford plate with serial number on it to confirm. It was done by an outside shop from what I understand not Ford itself. Part of the reason I chose this route was because I figured if it had Ford's name on it it would be correct and the price wasn't much higher than just sourcing a crank(Bill at SCP quoted me $350) Much to my surprise after I traveled 10 hours to pick this up I found the crank to be .25/.5. Not sure why Ford would allow an outside shop to rebuild something to specs other than their specifications but apparently it can be done. As long as it is from a company you trust I would think you will be ok. Bearings can be found on EBay. If it comes from a budget rebuilder I would stay far away from it. The crank I replaced was .25/.25 and appeared to crack between the rod journals. That engine had been rebuilt at one time and didn't appear to be a quality job, especially comparing to two I have here back to back.

Just FYI, and you've already found it.

My last engine was a rebuild from Ford with the same plate and it wasn't built to correct specs either. Don't know if it was what killed the motor but the J/Y engine I rebuilt and put in has lasted longer with more abuse.

im going to go with the reman one. i just wish the guy would have answered my questions rather than give me an attitude. its horrible customer service. all i said was "ive been told these crankshafts shouldnt be ground becauseit weakens them" or something along those lines. so he replied with "if its that much of a concern dont buy from me, go to ford and get a new one"

im going to go with the reman one. i just wish the guy would have answered my questions rather than give me an attitude. its horrible customer service. all i said was "ive been told these crankshafts shouldnt be ground becauseit weakens them" or something along those lines. so he replied with "if its that much of a concern dont buy from me, go to ford and get a new one"

If that's the customer service attitude ur getting BEFORE you spend your $$$, I'd listen to the man and go elsewhere. Let your wallet show your dissatisfaction. Just my .02

Adam

Make sure you check the casting number when you pick it up. Verify it is not the weaker 89 crank. One concern for me going this route would be all year cranks being mixed together and then engines assembled or parts picked as they came down the line. The engine I picked up was put in a 92 but had 94 heads on it.

It would be really unlikely to find a Duracast crank as many of them snapped and the rest were recalled. It would have to be a really forgotten part that later re-emerged. All the replacement crankshafts were the same as the 1990-1995.

Back