PDA

View Full Version : RAD Issues, Advice?

Sideswipe
06-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Hey Guys!

It's been awhile since I posted anything, Hope everyone enjoyed the long long long winter we had...

My T-bird is still going strong! Still haven't managed to get my body kit on... but will be doing that ASAP for the summer.

Anyways I am in need of some advice. My rad has recently started leaking - in the winter I noticed a bit of fluid loss but blamed it on the rad shrinking (for lack of a better term) due to cold weather. But the other day on my way to work it started overheating.. :mad: -- after turning on my fan which I have hooked up to a relay switch it cooled down.. got to work and opened the hood up.. the reservoir was filled to where it should be, but after it had cooled down I noticed fluid leaking from the bottom drivers' side of the Rad - after a visit to GeorgeFlemming's we then realized I had lost a lot more fluid then I thought.. so we topped the rad back up and I put some Prestone Stop Leak in it..

I'm starting to wonder if there are a number of things going on here.

1. Rad Cap needs to be replaced as fluid from the reservoir is not filling the Rad
2. Rad hose has a lot of pressure, wondering if the pressure build up has caused the leak?
3. The Rad needs to be replaced?

Anyways as I have said before I'm not to mechanically inclined so I thought I would give you guys a shout and see what you think is possibly going on.. I have a replacement RAD in the works - brand new is $150 .. just wondering if anyone knows what other vehicles I could get a RAD out of if I look around at scrap yards.

Have a Great Day,
Sideswipe.

KMT
06-02-2014, 02:07 PM
Confirm the upper hose doesn't collapse when the system has cooled down overnight.

Confirm the overflow tube to the expansion tank isn't plugged.

Radiator caps are cheap enough. Replace if old. Use only a 16lb cap.

Pricing seems normal. SC radiator is specific due to the width that is narrow because of the intercooler on the driver's side.

S_Mazza
06-02-2014, 04:45 PM
The coolant in the overflow tank is usually stuck there until the car is stopped and the entire system cools down. Until then, there isn't enough suction to pull it into the radiator. So I would consider that to probably be normal.

Also, if there is a leak in the radiator, I would guess that it spoils any suction that might pull the overflow coolant back into the radiator. So that might be another reason that the overflow coolant never ends up in the radiator.

You can try replacing the cap first just to make sure there's not an overpressure situation; it's cheap enough.

There are nice kits out there that let a mechanic pressurize the cooling system and see what results. It might not cost much to have that done.

92strokedbird
06-09-2014, 06:02 AM
If you need a replacement radiator i have one from my car that i parted out. It is an all metal rad with metal tanks.