PDA

View Full Version : Junkyard racing, opinions wanted

TwoToneThunder
06-02-2014, 10:03 PM
Ok so this is what I have going on

I have a group if guys that want to do a little cheap project build

We all have a set budget to buy a car and modify it to then go to the track and see who comes out on top with our creation if they survive the quarter mile a auto cross day will soon follow

$1000 to buy the car

$1000 to modify the car with

Any parts donated or already owned by the individual will not count against the person

What would you buy and how would you build it?

The budget was kept low in the event someone has catastrophic failure and the cars only worth scrap in the end

Jacob_Royer
06-03-2014, 05:14 AM
I'd say a fox body and a Windsor based carb motor is you're best bet! Tons and tons of CHEAP performance parts for them on craigslist

XR7 Dave
06-03-2014, 08:25 AM
With those rules I'd just stick with an SC. I could put on a 2.3L Whipple, nitrous, Lentech, etc, etc, for no penalty. Win!!

Seriously, for something like that insist on retail pricing for all parts. Raise the budget, and then let people find ways to get more for less. You could have a $4000 budget and still spend $2000 or less on average, but it would stop someone from dumping $8000 worth of accumulated parts into their car.

jdsgallops
06-03-2014, 09:13 AM
A fox body makes sense from a mod point but try to find one worth modding for $1000. Stay away from a v8 version though and it would be a great choice. Finding a v6 94-98 3.8 mustang and slap a sc setup on it. Or an 87-93 2.3 and source a junkyard turbo setup. I would definately think outside the box on this one.

aroot1
06-03-2014, 10:43 AM
Forget the mustang at those budgets. Find a Fairmont/zypher/Granada. Same fox platform, but dirt cheep in comparison. The parts you already have rule makes the whole project BS IMHO.

Adam

David Neibert
06-03-2014, 01:08 PM
Just get a stock SC with an automatic and put a 255 lph fuel pump and 100 HP wet nitrous kit on it.

David

jdsgallops
06-03-2014, 02:28 PM
I have 2 issues with Dave's suggestion.

Head gaskets

Race weight.

If you were going solely on biggest increase in performance or largest decrease in Et based off an intial et as the car was purchased the SC would be a good option. If my first concern didn't get you first. I would think you will need to run in the 13's to win this. Not gonna happen with a 4000lb car on your budget.

SDCoupe
06-03-2014, 03:46 PM
I can think of a few options,

1. Find a decent stock compact car from before 1985 with a V8, strip out all extra weight, get the engine running good, do some bubba port work and see what kind of power you can make. Even a light midsize like the comet/maverick would work.

2. Honda CRX, add a b20 engine with b16 heads for 500 bucks, hate the fwd.

3. Stock turbo anything. Boost it too hard, run it on the ragged edge. Hope the explosion happens after you win the race.

4. Ford pickup/full size car with a 460/429. Find some deals on a carb, intake parts and exhaust. Do some porting/polishing work.

These could all be horrible ideas, I'm just spit balling here.

XR7 Dave
06-03-2014, 03:47 PM
There have been stock SC's running 12's with a big nitrous kit.

jdsgallops
06-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Nitrous is great for the drag strip but if the car stays together and enough of the other ones do what good would it be on the autocross?

David Neibert
06-03-2014, 04:39 PM
Nitrous is great for the drag strip but if the car stays together and enough of the other ones do what good would it be on the autocross?

Don't need more power for Autocross, just turn the bottle off or jet it down to 50 hp.

David

philstad28
06-11-2014, 12:33 PM
I would just use a fox body mustang. They are not very expensive if you dont mind some body damage and there are a lot of cheap used parts for a 5.0. At carlisle my brother bought a f cam for his 5.0 for $15 and a nice bbk intake for 15 also. gt40 heads and intake are cheap and they do a lot too. I love sc's but cost wise a fox is a cheaper and lighter alternative

91dak239
06-11-2014, 02:59 PM
Maybe a more valuable option for something like chump car or lemons racing but, I'd go old rwd Celica with the 22R and junkyard turbo, but it would probably be pretty slow in the 1/4mi.

If you can fabricate you can get a miata for pretty cheap if its got a bunch of body damage or bad motor, or an older RX7 with blown motor 302+t5 is a pretty fast well handling combo.

XxSlowpokexX
06-12-2014, 08:44 PM
You see that 24 they put a gm4.3 in with a hom ebuilt turbo kit using a ford truck turbo..Carbed...That wa sa cool build. But certainly nitrous will get you where you want to go cheap

S_Mazza
06-12-2014, 09:53 PM
How about a Dodge Omni or similar? Junkyard turbo. Maybe nitrous. Tires?

I have read about similar builds going pretty fast with not a lot of money.

jdsgallops
06-12-2014, 11:03 PM
There are some great suggestions here like the omni. The GLH's were known for gettin into the 13's very easily for little invest. And the engines are calm near bullet proof.

I'm still not sure why the 94-98 must 3.8 Isn't getting more love. The SC blower swap onto these cars has been done enough that it is well sorted out. How many of us have an early model blower sitting in the garage? A quick look on Craigslist showed 3 of these cars for under $1500 meaning it is readily available and in the correct price range.
The omni or Granada though great sleepers are hard to find because of their age and then you need to get it for the correct price. I have yet to see a fox 5.0 sell for $1000 even in rough shape.

Since I have an almost complete SC engine in the garage this question is easily answered for me as the rules stated above. Means I can use lots of parts taking up space in the garage and concentrate the mod money on supporting those parts.