M5R2 assembly question

mywhite89

Have my transmission just about back together. Typically I buy a new main shaft nut every time I go back together due to the area that you crush into the groove on the main shaft but southern gear sent me the wrong nut. The crush area on my nut chipped off. Is it necessary to crush this on or will I be ok just tightening it up? I don't want to have to take it apart again to deal with it, but I am on a time crunch if I plan to hit the track on Friday. This is kind of the deciding factor. How about locktight instead?

Chris

I would think that if you lock tighted it really good that would be OK. If there is anything left to indent it will hold it even if it's just a tiny corner. I usually use a chisel and hammer to set the nut. Put the chisel on a corner and hit it with the hammer and it may go on enough to put a small indentation in it.

I have nothing left on the nut to hold, first time this transmission has been apart and ford decided nobody would be able to reuse this nut again. I would have been worried about it. I found a ford dealer that was just as happy as cake to sell me that part today. Just installed it and ordered two correct ones from southern gear for my own inventory.

I guess I asked a question that I already knew how I would answer it anyways. Regardless, wish me luck this is my first real attempt at gutting one of these trannys and reassembling. Hope to have it in and running before I call it a night.

Chris

Good luck with it Chris!. I just reinstalled mine after the CF blockers and I used 0w20 amsoil and it seems really good for the whole 5 miles ive driven the car.

Good luck with it Chris!. I just reinstalled mine after the CF blockers and I used 0w20 amsoil and it seems really good for the whole 5 miles ive driven the car.

I'll be interested to see how those hold up for you. I got mine back together and running tonight. The whole 5 miles it seemed perfect as well. I changed out the bushings in the rear suspension with the ones Dave and Ryan produced also, so I need to align it before I drive it too far. I usually use gm synchromesh but I ended up using the factory recommended dex/merc ATF since I reused a few of the original fiber lined blockers that were in good shape still.

Chris

Back